• ...and so much more!
  • Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    It's a Free Market

There is no "gouging" in a free market. Only supply and demand. When demand goes up or supplies are short the price goes up. The price can rise as long as folks are lining up to buy stuff. When no one will buy stuff the price goes down. The classifieds on this forum are a great example of this.

Retailers have an investment in their inventory and it becomes a matter of how long they can afford to have their money tied up while sit on it. Some retailers borrow the money for their inventory and have to pay interest for every month it sits in the store. They are then better off selling it at a lower price if......no one is buying at the current price.

I ask the people on here who call it gouging: When selling, would you advertise the price of your house, guns or car at the lowest price possible just to be a nice person or are you going to advertise the item at a higher price hoping someone will just pay it? Most of the classifieds on here have several price reductions when the item doesn't sell right away. Free Market at work. :patriot:

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    I support 'gouging' also...

Items are worth whatever someone is willing to pay. I'd much rather see a shop raise their prices to whatever the market will bear, rather than keep their prices unchanged and let the panic buyers and hoarders clear out the shelves. So called 'gouging' means that if I truly want to buy something, it will be available, and it's up to the buyer to decide whether they need it badly enough to pay the price. Whenever I sell something, I try to get as much as I can for it and I expect others to do the same. Do we believe in freedom? If yes, it cuts both ways.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I will never buy from cheaper than dirt as they are involved in false advertising. Their prices are always high. That and I get dirt for free......just saying.

You are only being gouged if you pull down your pants voluntarily.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    There is no "gouging" in a free market. Only supply and demand. When demand goes up or supplies are short the price goes up. The price can rise as long as folks are lining up to buy stuff. When no one will buy stuff the price goes down. The classifieds on this forum are a great example of this.

Retailers have an investment in their inventory and it becomes a matter of how long they can afford to have their money tied up while sit on it. Some retailers borrow the money for their inventory and have to pay interest for every month it sits in the store. They are then better off selling it at a lower price if......no one is buying at the current price.

I ask the people on here who call it gouging: When selling, would you advertise the price of your house, guns or car at the lowest price possible just to be a nice person or are you going to advertise the item at a higher price hoping someone will just pay it? Most of the classifieds on here have several price reductions when the item doesn't sell right away. Free Market at work. :patriot:

Really??? What about a false shortage of items? What about raising prices based on fear mongering? Believe whatever you want, just more nails in the coffin of what used to be a better country than what it has sunk to now.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    Here is the future commercials for ammunition, sorry, but i'm a smart, a**.

I have single 5.56 super heat seeking, wall crushing, armor piercing, tank exploding rounds for the low, low price of $9.95 each round! That's right folks, you can have the top of the line Tulammo, steel cased, cause we all know that, if it aint steel, it aint real. So how many can i sell to you fine people, before the spooky government takes them away for being so awesome, that the mere sound of the round going off can kill up to 5 miles away.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm a bit confused about "price gouging" right now. I mean, looking at the classifieds on this very site, it looks like there's a discernible increase in value for certain firearms.

At what point does "recognizing a higher demand, with a finite supply, results in increased value" become "gouging"? Or does it depend on whether it is a non-personal commercial entity?

Let me point out that, at a certain level, these places are at risk of having their entire inventory confiscated by federale JBTs (if you believe some of the hype). Shouldn't they try to make some money before that happens?

Just curious. :)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So, 5x is ok? Or 6x is ok if it is a private sale?

Just trying to sort this out. I may have some Glock 23 mags to sell, but I want to be conscientious about it. :)

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    People are all about free markets until stuff they like gets expensive. :rolleyes:

If the price isn't reasonable, then don't buy it. Duh.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom