• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I built a 10x30 front porch 5 years ago. After blowing the budget on composite decking, I could not find anything at a reasonable price for the ceiling. I had a fair amount of old, white barn siding from various doors we have rebuilt on our outbuildings, but not nearly enough to cover all of it. I know a guy who sells old barn siding, but he didn't have enough of one color either. My wife came up with the idea to mix it up.

This was not as easy. Hardly any of the various boards had tongues or grooves that matched up, but I made it work.

I am also not good at doing things artistic or 'random'. My son and I only managed to get a few boards up in the first hour. Then he had a brilliant idea, we needed to drink some bourbon and then get back at it. After a couple of glasses, we banged it out in no time. :D

h2stDOTl.jpg

9ngkLA4l.jpg

0NIrGZFl.jpg

QRnnvxDl.jpg

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I built a 10x30 front porch 5 years ago. After blowing the budget on composite decking, I could not find anything at a reasonable price for the ceiling. I had a fair amount of old, white barn siding from various doors we have rebuilt on our outbuildings, but not nearly enough to cover all of it. I know a guy who sells old barn siding, but he didn't have enough of one color either. My wife came up with the idea to mix it up.

This was not as easy. Hardly any of the various boards had tongues or grooves that matched up, but I made it work.

I am also not good at doing things artistic or 'random'. My son and I only managed to get a few boards up in the first hour. Then he had a brilliant idea, we needed to drink some bourbon and then get back at it. After a couple of glasses, we banged it out in no time. :D

h2stDOTl.jpg

9ngkLA4l.jpg

0NIrGZFl.jpg

QRnnvxDl.jpg

Did something similar on our porch awning I built last year. It’s about 13’x20’. Ceiling is made of used untreated 4x4’s I scarfed from a construction project a few years ago. Slabbed them to about 1/2” and then planed the saw marks off. Lot of work but like the results. Also the lights I got from a yard sale near Indy in the 90’s that I took with me from the last house I had them in. Supposedly from an old school. Repainted the bases on those and made the larger plates that go against the ceiling out of wood. The bricks my dad and uncles got years ago, removed from Chicago roads. The bricks on the near side act as a French drain and makes mowing a bit easier. The horizontal lights are on a motion sensor, separate from the other lights
    IMG_0939.jpegIMG_0942.jpeg

Top Bottom