Lending a firearm to a friend for home defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I am letting a farmer borrow an AR of mine for harvest season to shoot varmints. I have only known the guy for a year. I trust him, I know where the gun is. If something were to arise he knows how to get in touch with me. If it would make them feel safer then there would be no questions at all.

henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County
    ? for OP

Thanks for the comments guys. I will give them a shotgun I have no use for. I will just do a bill of transfer and they will have something forever, after all what are friends for.

I have a very good friend that is very straped for cash and has been laid off so they cant afford a gun for home defense right now. He and his wife are good people and are both schooled in the basics of firearm safety and operation. Recently their neighborhood has had a couple new people move in that have been causing trouble and one of the guys make crude comments to his wife from across the street. The local police are aware of the neighbors activity and apparently have been in trouble before. I was thinking about lending a firearm for home defense just in case. It is common sense to cover my butt even if they are friends. Would a simple paper stating that I lend it to them be ok?

I'm glad you made the decision to help your friend but I'm still a little confused about the original question.

Were you concerned about your civil or criminal liability if he found it necessary to use the gun?

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    I've loaned out my 5906 S&W to my best friend, he had it for about 6 months. I guess comfort level would be dependent on how close he is to you and how well you know his temperment. I would not hesistate allowing one of my closest friend to borrow my handgun as long as I know he is legel to posses it.

IndyTech

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a very good friend that is very straped for cash and has been laid off so they cant afford a gun for home defense right now. He and his wife are good people and are both schooled in the basics of firearm safety and operation. Recently their neighborhood has had a couple new people move in that have been causing trouble and one of the guys make crude comments to his wife from across the street. The local police are aware of the neighbors activity and apparently have been in trouble before. I was thinking about lending a firearm for home defense just in case. It is common sense to cover my butt even if they are friends. Would a simple paper stating that I lend it to them be ok?

I think if you really want to help them, then sell it to him for 5$. Then, if he's really your friend, you can buy it back from him when he has enough to get his own primary HD weapon for the price he bought it from you.

Either way, I would rarely "Lend" anyone a firearm. I would gift or sell a firearm but only lend if said person is with you while it's on loan (IE: shooting range or out hunting).

Top Bottom