Lending a firearm to a friend for home defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I have a very good friend that is very straped for cash and has been laid off so they cant afford a gun for home defense right now. He and his wife are good people and are both schooled in the basics of firearm safety and operation. Recently their neighborhood has had a couple new people move in that have been causing trouble and one of the guys make crude comments to his wife from across the street. The local police are aware of the neighbors activity and apparently have been in trouble before. I was thinking about lending a firearm for home defense just in case. It is common sense to cover my butt even if they are friends. Would a simple paper stating that I lend it to them be ok?

hunter_47443

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Greene Co.
    I don't think you would even have to do that...I'm sure somebody with a little more knowledge of the law will chime in sooner or later.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I don't even see where a paper would be necessary, but go for it if it makes you comfortable. As long as your friend isn't a felon, that is. And, he understands that he can't carry without the LTCH, just to cover his butt. Sounds like you're a good friend to have when someone's in need!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If they were a close friend I would have no problem with lending or giving them a gun. As long as they can legally own a firearm I don't see where there would be an issue of liability or legality. They can't leave their property with a handgun without an LTCH. Sounds like a good pump shotgun is in order.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    There is a (in)famous Huntington, Indiana 911 call that recorded an incident of a lady who defended herself against a stalker turned intruder with a borrowed gun.

I'm not saying it will happen, but it can. And it has.

What makes people think they can yell crude comments at their neighbors? Are the comments worth filing a restraining order?

I know words on a paper aren't worth much, except to perhaps establish a paper trail and help a bit when they call the police the next time.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I have a gun on loan to a friend for his property only until he can afford his own.

I felt it was my responsibility to cover firearms safety, usage, laws and a range trip with him and his wife before I left it with them.

No worries.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I would advise them to establish a paper trail also. By all means loan them a shotgun, or even a handgun as long as they don't take it off property. Any scummy bastard that just moves into a neighborhood and starts shouting crude remarks at people is gonna be trouble. God what a world we live in!

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I would loan one out to them in a heartbeat.
    That being said, knowing their could be an issue with the jerkwads across the street, I don't know that I would loan the most prized one that I had.

Who knows what could happen, could be stolen due to no fault of theirs,
    or end up with an evidence tag on it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I would loan one out to them in a heartbeat.
    That being said, knowing their could be an issue with the jerkwads across the street, I don't know that I would loan the most prized one that I had.

Who knows what could happen, could be stolen due to no fault of theirs,
    or end up with an evidence tag on it.

Then don't loan them your prized one. Loan another one.

And the same could be said for any other of your weapons. Someone could break into YOUR home, steal all your guns, and resell them, or use them to commit crimes.

Be a friend, and loan a gun.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Thanks for the comments guys. I will give them a shotgun I have no use for. I will just do a bill of transfer and they will have something forever, after all what are friends for.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Sounds like the perfect opportunity for a fund raiser at the gun club.
    lemonade_stand_alexslemonade_400.jpg

sean2999

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Westfield IN
    My friend who has a ton of knowledge on gun laws and gun safty let me "borrow" an AR-15 for home protection. But then i fell in love with the gun and he sold it to me.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Same as the others. As long as they can legally own a firearm, aka not an ex-con, should not be an issue. Pretty sure you don't have to have any license to have a gun for personal defense only for concealed carry. Hopefully he won't have to use it :)

Sig-Bandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Columbus
    I have done this for a good friend in the past with no problems. In fact he like what I loaned him so much he eventually went and bought one, good for him.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Heck, I had an INGOer loan me his gun this morning so I can take it out and shoot it. Nothing but a handshake, and some VERY strict instructions on how to use it. I think they consisted of "Shoot the :poop: out of it." I think I can comply with those instructions! :D

Heck, even tossed a holster in so I could wear it and give it a full evaluation.

Top Bottom