• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    My neighbor is a Sheriff and he calls me when he finds a hit deer that is not hurt bad. FREE MEAT!!!!!! He usually doesnt shoot it so I can get there and do it myself to make sure meat stays fresh. I also live in the country. NOOOOWWWW on another note.......My wives grandfather has first hand witnessed a uniformed on duty officer fire his duty weapon 3 times standing over a deer he hit and MISS. Moral of the story 1)know where u live and how LEO will react 2) LEO if you shoot at something that close please hit it!
    How many wives do you have?

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I know there's a lot of hypothetical here, and probably some easy answers.

You hit a deer, and it's in very bad shape. Not going to make it.

Can you legally discharge your firearm to put it down?

I'm sure the laws of within/outside city limits still apply. I'm sure someone would say "let a cop do it"

If one of our LEO friends here arrived at the scene of a crash w/ a deer, and the driver had already put it down, how would you react?
    I've actually asked this very question to my local sheriffs department. According to them, they ask you do call the locals, but only so that they can oversee everything is done properly. I was told that once they discharge their firearms, TONS of paperwork follow, regardless of if its an animal or not. However, if you do it, much less paperwork is required for them. They just ask you call them and let them know so, once again, they can send an officer out to oversee the situation.

I hoped this help answer your question

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    From the DNR website:

General Regulations | Indiana Hunting & Trapping Guide | eRegulations.com

Deer-Vehicle Collisions
    If a deer dies after a collision with a motor vehicle, an Indiana Conservation Officer or other law enforcement officer, DNR property manager, assistant property manager or district wildlife biologist may issue a permit to an individual to possess the deer.
    If a deer is found dead from another cause, an Indiana Conservation Officer or person designated by an Indiana Conservation Officer may issue a permit to possess the deer.

Violation Penalties
    A violation of a fish and wildlife law or regulation is a Class C misdemeanor. Any person who takes a deer or wild turkey in violation of any regulation will be penalized $500 in addition to any other penalty under the law and can be charged with a Class B misdemeanor or Class A misdemeanor (with a prior conviction). Equipment such as guns and vehicles used in violation of fish and wildlife laws may be seized for evidence and, upon conviction, confiscated at the discretion of the court.

Now, INAL, but from reading those two statements, actually killing the deer (if not already dead from the collision) would be considered harvesting a deer out of season, and thus a violation of deer hunting regulations. As a hunter and also as a person that lives in a rural part of the state, I've checked into this situation before. Much like other posters before me have stated, the advice from reputable sources is that you should always call the local law enforcement first, preferably the non-emergency line if there are not injuries or immediate dangers from the accident itself. They can then chose to dispatch an officer to deal with the situation, or get you the proper authorization to euthanize the animal. That can also start the process of getting permission to take possession of the animal if you so chose.

Then there is always the old shoot, shovel, and shut up option, but that could land you in hot water if you can't keep your mouth shut, or if there are other witnesses.

My personal experience with the DNR leads me to believe that they will probably not take the "compassionate" side of the argument, and would likely cite you for taking an animal out of season. It seems that they tend to err on the side of law enforcement rather than resource management.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Heck I would thank you for putting one down for me. I doubt that many officers or prosecutors would care.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Serious question: would a pistol round (9mm, .45, or say .357) penetrate a skull?

I don't know that a knife is superior when all things are considered. Getting clocked by a deer seems like it would be painful.

Well I don't know from personal experience but I have been told that they will in fact bounce off a skull. This is caliber dependant obviously. But as far as getting kicked or anything else always approach from above the head. This is how hunters are to approach a downed animal which are often not dead... If its obviously alive and kicking comes more of the time for a better weapon i.e. a more powerful long gun or calling someone with one.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I have shot head shot a boat load full of road hit deer with a .40 S&W and never had one bounce off the skull. I suppose at an extreme enough angle it could happen though.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    When I was on active duty and stationed in Indy, I traveledI-74 at all hours of the day and night. I was driving east, towards Indy, about 10 pm one night and saw something up ahead in my head lights. I was rather large so I slowed down. When I got close enough I could see that it was a doe laying in the road with her head up looking around. She obviously had a spinal cord injury. I wasn't exactly sure what mile marker I was even at and there was no traffic from either direction so I grabbed my 45 ACP 1911 and put a round in her head. I holstered the weapon and drug the deer out of the road. By this time a car came up behind me and stopped. A probably 21-22 year old guy gets and and walks up and asked, "Duuude, hit ya a goat, did ya?" I said, no she was already hit but still alive so I put her down. He said, "oh........ooooohhhh" and had the most classic look on his face. He very quickly got back in his car and left. :)

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    When I was on active duty and stationed in Indy, I traveledI-74 at all hours of the day and night. I was driving east, towards Indy, about 10 pm one night and saw something up ahead in my head lights. I was rather large so I slowed down. When I got close enough I could see that it was a doe laying in the road with her head up looking around. She obviously had a spinal cord injury. I wasn't exactly sure what mile marker I was even at and there was no traffic from either direction so I grabbed my 45 ACP 1911 and put a round in her head. I holstered the weapon and drug the deer out of the road. By this time a car came up behind me and stopped. A probably 21-22 year old guy gets and and walks up and asked, "Duuude, hit ya a goat, did ya?" I said, no she was already hit but still alive so I put her down. He said, "oh........ooooohhhh" and had the most classic look on his face. He very quickly got back in his car and left. :)

Wish there was more folks like you around!! We have people call 911 for a trash can being in the road instead of just moving it.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Wish there was more folks like you around!! We have people call 911 for a trash can being in the road instead of just moving it.

You're obviously there to protect and serve... Move my trash can!

[jk]

A bit silly to call 911 for trash on the highway unless it's some sort of major hazard and traffic is too bad for them to stop and remedy it.

Top Bottom