• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I know there's a lot of hypothetical here, and probably some easy answers.

You hit a deer, and it's in very bad shape. Not going to make it.

Can you legally discharge your firearm to put it down?

I'm sure the laws of within/outside city limits still apply. I'm sure someone would say "let a cop do it"

If one of our LEO friends here arrived at the scene of a crash w/ a deer, and the driver had already put it down, how would you react?

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Should probably call the law to do it. I think you would be opening yourself up for many bad things if you did it yourself.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    This is where a knife comes handy. I've done it a time or two myself, and then get my permit from the sheriff and take that bad boy to the processor!

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Years ago, on my way to work, I had to pull over as a car was half on and half off the state road I was traveling west on. This area was not within any city limits. I got out and the driver said he had just hit a deer. As we were talking, we both spotted the deer lying in the ditch immediately adjacent and north of the state road. The deer came to and claimed out of the ditch. We noticed that one of the front legs was severely broke. The deer stopped about 50' away from us on private land. At this time, another car had stopped and the driver came over to us and asked what happened.

I recognized the driver as an under cover officer with ISP. He asked what had happened and the driver who hit the deer told his story. The officer never identified himself. The officer then, in a very irritated tone asked why neither one of us shot the deer(out of mercy). I was not carrying due to work law(federal gov't). He then told us to go ahead and leave and he would take care of it. I guess if one of us shot the deer, nothing would have happened. I just wonder if another officer or CO had stopped. Would they have been ok with shooting the deer? Dunno, esp since the deer was on private land with a residence.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This is where a knife comes handy. I've done it a time or two myself, and then get my permit from the sheriff and take that bad boy to the processor!

I had a friend that tried that, after hitting one. Unfortunately, the deer had plenty of fight in him still, and kicked my friend in the chest. He was lucky it wasn't his face.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    You might be alright with shooting a wounded deer along the road somewhere, but I would wait until nobody was there to see me shoot it just the same. Once it's dead, I would check it in as a roadkill. I wouldn't have a problem telling them I mercy shot it, as long as it was obvious that it had first been hit by a car. Just need to avoid any possibility of looking like a poacher.

On the other hand, if you are hunting and have a wounded deer come within your range, don't shoot it unless you can legally tag it. Example, if it's shotgun season and you're limited to an antlered deer only, and some wounded doe comes by, you have to let it go, as hard as that might be. Otherwise, you will have big problems with the DNR. Don't risk it.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Definitely abide by the city limit law...

My wife was hit by a dear on German Church a month or two ago. IMPD showed up and the deer was partially blocking traffic. The deer was barely with it, so we pulled it by the hind legs off the street (approached very carefully as not to get kicked... she didn't flinch a bit when we grabbed her). The officer then said he wishes he could shoot it, but too many cars/houses around.

He filed the report for us and we went along our way. Not sure what he ended up doing.

Hindsight tells me I should have informed him that I had property in Hancock County only 2 miles away, loaded the deer in my truck, have him follow, put the deer down on my property, and take it to the nearest processor!

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    Isn't there a law that requires a shooter to be a designated distance from the road before discharging a firearm? I remember being told something like that when I was a kid, many, many years ago. Maybe things have changed since then. I wouldn't know since I don't go around discharging my firearms next to roads. :scratch:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If a LEO shows up and you have yet to shoot the deer I bet he/she would be glad if you could do it for them.Way less paperwork for them.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Please, no matter how much you think I am suffering, do not put me down. Thank you.

They would need a holy grenade anyway for you.They would have to get in touch with the military and with the Pope.Ship the grenade to the Vatican etc.It would take weeks. :faint:

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    My main concern would be as 1 previous poster said, City Limit law. Outside of the city I wouldn't have a problem doing it myself along with calling in the police of course. Inside city limits you can get charged with discharging a firearm. Would not want to fool with that one.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That applies to hunting.

IC 14-22-6-9Shooting from or across public highways prohibited Sec. 9. A person may not: (1) hunt, shoot, shoot at, or kill an animal; or (2) shoot at an object;from within, into, upon, or across a public highway in Indiana.As added by P.L.1-1995, SEC.15.

Indiana Code 14-22-6

Isn't there a law that requires a shooter to be a designated distance from the road before discharging a firearm? I remember being told something like that when I was a kid, many, many years ago. Maybe things have changed since then. I wouldn't know since I don't go around discharging my firearms next to roads. :scratch:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... The officer then said he wishes he could shoot it, but too many cars/houses around.

He filed the report for us and we went along our way. Not sure what he ended up doing.

Wonder how many well intentioned LTCH folks might make a wrong decision in a situation like this? Maybe amped up from hitting the dear? Maybe after a first shot that only wounded?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    SteveM4A1 gave the right answer... A pistol probably is not your best choice. A knife is what should be used here. Cutting the throat is best. And if you say well I can't get up to it with a knife, then you need a shot gun or something with more power than your handgun to put it out at that point IMO. I have cut the throat on several deer and just seems to be more effective unless you are putting a slug in their heart, but you need a shotgun for that...

Where my uncle works they had a deer get tangled up in some things and had an officer come out to finish it off due to location (key to your scenario). With a poor placed or ineffective shot he left if to die, my uncle said he couldn't stand to watch it suffer after many minutes so he cut the throat. Things then ended promptly.

So again I say don't use a pistol, use a knife.

Top Bottom