• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    It's legal, but you better keep it hidden.

Then of course there's the whole debate about whether or not you instantly commit a felony if a school shows up for a field trip...

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    The Indianapolis zoo is privately owned. As such I typically cover when I got there. Never had any kind of issue with it. I wouldn't OC just because there's a plethora of 5 y/o girls running around and their parents will MWAG you as they're disarming you and the cops will show up 2 hours after your being eaten by a bear.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    The Indianapolis zoo is privately owned. As such I typically cover when I got there. Never had any kind of issue with it. I wouldn't OC just because there's a plethora of 5 y/o girls running around and their parents will MWAG you as they're disarming you and the cops will show up 2 hours after your being eaten by a bear.

Wow, didn't know MWAG could be a verb. :)

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Indy zoo is private property and as such they can ask you to leave but it is not illegal. Mtgaston works there and there have been MANY discussions about this before.

This.

I've never OC'd there, but I have kept a jacket on or a longer shirt which covered it for the most part with no issues. And this from a guy who typically goes to the zoo with his daughter about 20x per year.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    As stated before by others they can ask you to leave if they see it. I am not telling anyone to do something illegal but if you are a responsible person and care about your family why the heck would you even go somewhere that says you cannot defend them, yourself and others aeound you???
    Also the search feature is your friend this horse has been beaten so much that we are going ro have to find a new one to replace it soon...

rhkirk1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    I agree, I think this one is completely covered. (But just an FYI I carried there last week)

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    While we're talking about the zoo, what about say the Children's Museum? Is that legally a "gun free zone," most commonly referred to as a horrible f***ing idea.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'll just echo as above. Private property = their rules. While they are located in a city park, they are 100% privately owned and operated. I have heard from an employee there that you WILL be asked to leave if spotted, and could very well lose your membership (assuming you are a member).

That said, it is perfectly legal to carry there.

We are long-time members, and visit the zoo at LEAST monthly.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    While we're talking about the zoo, what about say the Children's Museum? Is that legally a "gun free zone," most commonly referred to as a horrible f***ing idea.

The Children's Museum has housed a school for a couple of years now, making it illegal for common citizens to carry ANYWHERE on the property (including parking lots - can't even secure your weapon in the car).

Considering the Museum is in a fairly dangerous part of town (192 incidents in the last 6 months), we just don't go there any longer.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    The Children's Museum has housed a school for a couple of years now, making it illegal for common citizens to carry ANYWHERE on the property (including parking lots - can't even secure your weapon in the car).

Considering the Museum is in a fairly dangerous part of town (192 incidents in the last 6 months), we just don't go there any longer.

Thank you for answering my question Sir. Now that being said, partiularly your comment about the neighborhood, what kind if any security does the Children's Museum have in place to protect our most vulnerable members of society?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Thank you for answering my question Sir. Now that being said, partiularly your comment about the neighborhood, what kind if any security does the Children's Museum have in place to protect our most vulnerable members of society?

Inside the building? Reasonable, I believe. Very good surveillance, uniformed security plainly visible (and armed), and plain-clothes security throughout the building. I would guess, a dozen or more armed security at any one time. Can anyone corroborate this?

Outside? Other than cameras, nothing. Especially the remote parking areas. You know, where all of the crimes take place.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Inside the building? Reasonable, I believe. Very good surveillance, uniformed security plainly visible (and armed), and plain-clothes security throughout the building. I would guess, a dozen or more armed security at any one time. Can anyone corroborate this?

Outside? Other than cameras, nothing. Especially the remote parking areas. You know, where all of the crimes take place.

It's been years since i've been to either the Children's Museum or the Zoo, and I have fond memories of both. I think every public place that houses children, daycare centers, schools, museums and so forth, should be able to defend their charges if the need ever arises.

Top Bottom