• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ram-jac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    West Indy
    Lefty and use 1911........seems completely natural after alot of practice. It's funny but now using controls set up for lefties takes just as much practice for me.....

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    I always carry an XD9 really early model and it was never a problem left handed. But for some reason I have always shot rifles right handed. I can shot them left handed fine just never felt natural.

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    Shoot rifles left handed and brass usually isn't an issue. Pistols I have always shot right handed, but not really well! LOL That's part of why I ended up here in INGO ......learn to shoot better, and learn more about shooting in general.

I have figured out it is because I am left eye dominant.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    From what I found in my research at the ~$500 price point the M&P and FNX are completey ambi. The biggest difference I saw between the FNX and M&P (besides $100 more and an extra mag with the FNX) was the FNX has a safety, decocker, and an external hammer. The stipling is more aggressive too on the FNX and they are a lot more rare. The Sig P250 is pretty friendly to lefties too. A 1911 tactical with the ambi safety is what I settled on but I almost bought the FNX. If I had the money I would probably have both.

The 1911 slide release seems to be made for a lefty trigger finger. I don't see how you would use it right handed because it seems to far forward to hit with your right thumb. I find it easier to field strip the 1911 right handed, but I might change my mind as I get more experience with it.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I carry either a Browning HiPower Mk III (has an ambi safety), or a Beretta 92FS that has an ambi decocker (and I switched the mag release to lefty - you can do that with a 92FS). Over the years I've adapted to dropping mags with my trigger finger instead of my thumb, and I "slingshot" the slide on reloads, so I just about never use the actual slide release.

My next pistol will be a CZ-85B or 85 Combat. That one has an ambi safety AND slide release.

Kmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Denver,IN
    Ruger sr9c. bought it for the wife and it has proven to be the most reliable and accurate pistol I have ever purchased. My only complaint is that the thumb safety could be a little bit longer. Wonderfully lefty friendly.

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I started shooting left handed seriously when I shattered my right shoulder. I predominantly shot revolvers, but I shot a friends Ruger P85 in .45, and it was wonderfully ambidextrous. These days I try to keep both hands in the mix, sometimes when my shoulder is acting up I still carry left handed. I alternate between my J-Frame and my Witness Poly in .40. The Witness is DA/SA and I carry safety off so it is ready to go. My Witness Match competition gun is getting an ambi safety soon (should be in the mail now) since it is SA only. I personally won't consider a gun that I can't operate with either hand and I tend to prefer classic designs such as a 1911, revolver, or Hi-Power/CZ variant, but as stated, I thought the Rugers were well laid out.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    I carry either a Browning HiPower Mk III (has an ambi safety), or a Beretta 92FS that has an ambi decocker (and I switched the mag release to lefty - you can do that with a 92FS). Over the years I've adapted to dropping mags with my trigger finger instead of my thumb, and I "slingshot" the slide on reloads, so I just about never use the actual slide release.

My next pistol will be a CZ-85B or 85 Combat. That one has an ambi safety AND slide release.

I agree with the Beretta. You could also look in to a Taurus. I've got a friend with the Taurus Pt99. I turn his mag release around for him and the safety is already ambi. During reloads he doesn't use the slide release anyway, he pulls the slide back with a fresh mag.

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    I shoot ambidextrously but stronger on my left side. I shoot with a Sig P250 and switched the mag release accordingly. I carry a Sig P238 also and have learned to adapt as others have said. Another thing to consider is availability of left hand holsters for the model you choose. I'm learning that the hard way as there's hardly anything for the P250. For rifles, Stag Arms makes a series of left handed ARs that eject the casing on the left side that are pretty affordable.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    My wife is a lefty, and that's part of the reason I went to a M&P. Can swap the mag release over easy, and there's a slide stop/release on both sides.

Specialized

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 97.8%
    87   2   1
    Jan 26, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I carry the following, depending on the day and what I'm wearing:

- HK P2000sk, 9mm
    - Kahr PM9, 9mm
    - Kahr PM45, 45ACP
    - Sig P239 SAS Gen II, 9mm

All are good choices, and now and then I even carry a 1911 3.5" that's been customized. I like point-and-shoot guns, but I'm fine with safeties, too. I practice with all of them and shoot IDPA with them too, so I'm ready if something happens.

As for rifles, I like Savage and Browning bolt guns and left-handed models, and shotguns with a top-tang safeties like the Mossbergs and Browning BPS.

Specialized

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Lefty here. I have found that my XDM works well for me, the Kahrs, I like the Ruger wheelguns too. I find them easier to open the cylinder than smiths, though not enough to squabble about. As others have mentioned the 1911 can be made lefty friendly with an ambi- safety.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    You know, I really hate the controls, other than safety lever, being on the strong side. This can cause problems.

For example, the right hander might hold down the slide stop in an emergency, preventing it from engaging. I don't have that problem. Just a safety lever, well secured, and a little dimple sticking out where the slide stop comes through that I use as a reference point for my support thumb.

These two things lead to a very consistent grip.

Josh

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    Recently picked up a P95 with ambi controls.......I think I'm gonna learn to love it! LOL It will at least give me the option to try both left and right handed shooting and see which I prefer, or at least which I do better with. Like I said before, I shoot pistols right handed, but rifles lefty due to eye dominance. Might get out tomorrow and pop a few mags into some paper and see how it / I do!

Scorpsfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    HK's are lefty friendly and SiG's can have the mag release reversed, but the trigger finger release works best here.

dondavis3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    DFW area
    Sig's are lefty friendly

My Sig P229 Elite gets a lot use.

SigP229PlatinumElite9mm2.jpg

Warm weather Ruger LCP

:cool:

Jeckle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Greenwood
    I've seen a couple people mention HK's and as a lefty I carry a P2000SK in .40. Of the hanguns I shot before buying mine (couple of Sigs, a CZ, a Walther and a S&W) the P2000SK felt the best in my hand and I shot it best.

Top Bottom