• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Denver,IN
    I just did a search under "lefthanded" and only came up with one reference on this site, and it had to do with a quotation in the bible. Just curious to know what problems fellow lefties encounter when dealing with firearms. And if any of you can steer me towards any left handed wheelguns and or semi auto shotguns.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I am not left handed however I am left eye dominate. I have a Savage 10 LFP witha left sided tact bolt. And I bought an ambidextrous safety for my AR and had Indygunworks grind, file and moly resin the raw surface. Now it just flips on the right side without rubbing the left. Thats all I got for you.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I dunno about special lefty issues. I shoot pistol equally well right or left, but am pretty solidly LH for rifle. The only real issue for me was the AR50, the stock can't easily be switched to LH shooting and I never could adjust well to RH shooting it.

I have thought about getting a LH AR15 since I get the occasional piece of brass ping off my forehead...

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    If you're a lefty, it's safe to presume you've been a lefty all your life. If you're looking at buying guns, it's safe to say you're an adult. As a fellow lefty, I have to say, get used to it already. We live in a right-handed world.

Some things I've learned:

Stag makes a LH AR-15, but proprietary parts are a pain in the rear, and not worth it.

Supposedly, serious shooters use a bolt action rifle with a bolt handle the opposite of the way we think of them (LH rifle for RH shooter), so that they can maintain their perfect trigger-hand hold.

Gen 4 Glocks, FNP pistols, and some others have a swappable mag release. I tried it, and swapped it back. The convenience of LH controls is lost when you have to fumble around trying to do it RH before you realize, hey, this is the LH pistol. Different controls are hard enough to keep straight.

Kmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Denver,IN
    If you're a lefty, it's safe to presume you've been a lefty all your life. If you're looking at buying guns, it's safe to say you're an adult. As a fellow lefty, I have to say, get used to it already. We live in a right-handed world.

Some things I've learned:

Stag makes a LH AR-15, but proprietary parts are a pain in the rear, and not worth it.

Supposedly, serious shooters use a bolt action rifle with a bolt handle the opposite of the way we think of them (LH rifle for RH shooter), so that they can maintain their perfect trigger-hand hold.

Gen 4 Glocks, FNP pistols, and some others have a swappable mag release. I tried it, and swapped it back. The convenience of LH controls is lost when you have to fumble around trying to do it RH before you realize, hey, this is the LH pistol. Different controls are hard enough to keep straight.
    As I have been left handed all of my 40 years, I would have to say I am very used to it. My thread was inquiring as to the existance of right side opening cylinder wheelguns and any semi auto shotguns manufactured with the ejection port on the left side. I have grown accustom to manipulating the controls of semi auto hand guns made for righties just fine over the years and changing as you said would be difficult at this point. I am just shopping around for a revolver and a semi auto shotgun and finding ones with left handed characteristics would be a huge advantage for me.

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am also left handed and you learn to adjust to right handed ways even if they are backwards :D I carry a Glock and I have gotten used to the mag release on the left side of the gun. It becomes second nature. Just like using right handed scissors!
    I know Charter Arms makes a left handed wheel gun.

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   1
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Remington made the 1100 semi auto in a left hand version. Single action revolvers (Colt SSA, Ruger Blackhawks, Vaqueros etc..) seem to favor left use. Colt DA revolvers are good to (pull as opposed to push cylinder release).

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I'm a terminal lefty.
    I've simply adjusted to a "backwards" world. If you put a left handed weapon in my hand I'd have to think about it for a minute before I could use it effectively. Same with guitars, golf clubs, and other "righty" tools.
    Mike

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Like Redneck Medic, I'm left-eye dominant but right handed. I learned how to shoot right handed, leaning my head over my .22's stock to use my left eye. That actually worked...until I went in the Army and tried to shoot an M-16 that way -- didn't work very well with my helmet smacking the handle.

After some yelling by my "instructor" the RO walked over and figured out was going on. Within a few minutes he had me shooting lefty, ended up shooting expert.

The down side was that this was the M-16 A1. Unlike the A2 and above it did not have a built in brass deflector. I ended up with a lot of nice warm brass down my shirt! Once I got an A2 that problem went away, and the only issue I had was switching mags.

I still shoot pistol right handed since I generally keep both eyes open anyway, though I can shoot left handed as well. I get some odd looks at FNS when I switch from shooting shotgun left handed to pistol right handed. :D

That's interesting. My main .22 is a bolt-action CZ and the problem I have is that taking my hand off the forearm to work the bolt means that the muzzle drops and I lose the target. I suppose if you were shooting off a rest or bipod that wouldn't be an issue...but that's why I borrow my son's lever action Henry a lot -- very easy to work the lever with either hand.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    Im a lefty. Im just used to it. One gun that is easy for leftys is the Hi Point Carbine. The bolt is on the left, and I switched the sling around and now its virtually a lefty gun. I also have a lefty Cabellas Hawken rifle. I love that thing.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I shoot pistols righty, shoot rifles lefty. Left-eye dominant so I have a bit of trouble using the right eye for shooting pistols. Just a personal struggle, but I cope.

Top Bottom