michael_bloomberg_20081204.jpg

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    This is 100% true. You have read POSTS. What I highly doubt you have heard/read is any such comment on a major media outlet. It has become unacceptable to mention race in any way shape or form UNLESS it is making derogatory comments on older white guys or white rednecks. I firmly believe that race should be left completely out of ANY discussion as it should have no bearing on anything. However it is highly annoying that comments such as the one the OP is addressing have become perfectly acceptable and defended. The left has worked hard to make the word WHITE correlate with intolerance,fighting "progress" and stupid. The left are the truly intolerant ones and should be called out on it.

The posts I have read were targeted toward the audience that are more accepting of that particular topic, just like this one. The other side does the same thing. I can certainly agree with you that those comments get old and are insulting. That is why I choose not to further those sentiments by posting them. However, I personally find the same thing that annoys you about the media, the very same things that annoy me about INGO. So, I can choose to go somewhere and post links or I can just ignore it and see the comments for what they are, which is garbage.

What will be the end result of this topic? Will there be any solutions offered? No, I don't think so. There will be some upset people and others will choose to post examples of what the other side has said and why they are wrong for saying it. Yeah, I agree it's wrong, but at some point in this thread, I believe something is going to be said out of anger and true belief, to produce the same level of hurt, pain and frustration that some experience as a result of these kinds of comments.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Why is it that everybody is not held to the same standards is what I wonder. Everybody is demanding equality today. Women want to be treated equally, gays want to be treated equally, every ethnic group wants to be treated equally, OK, I am all for it. Lets have the same consequences for the actions of the individuals.

Make an off remark about a woman, you are sexist. Off remark about gays, you are homophobic, an off remark about an ethnic group, you are a racist. Off remark about a white American male, yes we are an intolerant bunch, aren't we?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Not exactly.

...why it has become acceptable for the left to be openly racist without repercussion while the right is accused and demonized for it without actually doing it in many cases. The obvious casualty is the truth when it is disregarded based entirely upon who is speaking it. Then again, this applies equally to the attributes of being old and tired, so, in the end, I could truthfully say that this post is as much about age and/or spryness as any other attribute.

The fundamental issue is that the validity of the argument presented is being ignored in favor of criticisms of the speaker that I would think most civilized people would consider to be off limits.

I could name many things that were once acceptable in our society that have fallen out of favor. I can also provide a list of topics that were once unacceptable, but now embraced. It doesn't mean that any of it was necessarily right or wrong at any time, but as the hearts of men turn, so do the things we allow or accept. Don't worry, things will go back to the way they used to be at some point.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Why is it that everybody is not held to the same standards is what I wonder. Everybody is demanding equality today. Women want to be treated equally, gays want to be treated equally, every ethnic group wants to be treated equally, OK, I am all for it. Lets have the same consequences for the actions of the individuals.

Make an off remark about a woman, you are sexist. Off remark about gays, you are homophobic, an off remark about an ethnic group, you are a racist. Off remark about a white American male, yes we are an intolerant bunch, aren't we?

So, I guess you REALLY believe this, right? I think it's bogus to label someone just because they aren't PC enough, but to each his own.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I am not sure how that even fits in with what I just posted, so, um, OK.

You said:

"Make an off remark about a woman, you are sexist. Off remark about gays, you are homophobic, an off remark about an ethnic group, you are a racist..."

I believe this is bogus. A person should not be labeled a sexist, homophobe or racist because of not being PC enough.

Maybe it doesn't fit what you said, though. :dunno:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The words spoken by Martin Luther King Jr.:

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

This is the best summary of the proper goal that is available. Consistent with this sentiment, I would argue that assigning value or lack of value to another human being based on his ethnic heritage, whatever that may be, is inherently wrong. This would include both criticizing a person on account of his or her ethnicity or defending a person from criticism based on his or her ethnicity, especially by leveling unfair charges of racism at the person offering a criticism which has objective merit. The same applies to any other attribute. Being old does not make a person irrelevant on account of age, nor does it automatically make such a person wise. I have met my share of old idiots, but then again, I have learned much from the experiences of the older people I have known over time. In the end, the critical element is the character of the person and the knowledge, wisdom, and understanding any person brings to the table. Unfortunately, we as a nation are the most polarized we have been since the time in which lynchings were de rigueur, and I find that very disturbing, and strongly advocate finding a workable solution. Making it worse yet is that we are divided along far more different lines than we had been in what are considered with much merit to be our darkest days as a nation.

Equality either does or does not exist. We are either one people or we are not. In order to be one people, our culture must be the melting pot spoken of often in generations past in which one culture is formed from those who make it up, rather than a tossed salad which is a patchwork of pockets of dissimilar and mutually exclusive groups. I believe that King's goal was and is realistic, but that doesn't guarantee that it will happen. Unfortunately, half a century ago, the spokesman on the issue sought to bring people together, as opposed to the opposite goal being carried out by the spokesmen of the present who are agents of division for political gain. Fortunately, we are not compelled to listen to them.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I've read posts where Jesse Jackson and others like him were called everything in the book. If the same thing were said about, let's say, any conservative person of the day, what would happen? Both sides throw stones and then cry over the bruises when they are thrown back.

Really? Show me any mainstream media story where that is true. Any at all.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    The words spoken by Martin Luther King Jr.:

This is the best summary of the proper goal that is available. Consistent with this sentiment, I would argue that assigning value or lack of value to another human being based on his ethnic heritage, whatever that may be, is inherently wrong. This would include both criticizing a person on account of his or her ethnicity or defending a person from criticism based on his or her ethnicity, especially by leveling unfair charges of racism at the person offering a criticism which has objective merit. The same applies to any other attribute. Being old does not make a person irrelevant on account of age, nor does it automatically make such a person wise. I have met my share of old idiots, but then again, I have learned much from the experiences of the older people I have known over time. In the end, the critical element is the character of the person and the knowledge, wisdom, and understanding any person brings to the table. Unfortunately, we as a nation are the most polarized we have been since the time in which lynchings were de rigueur, and I find that very disturbing, and strongly advocate finding a workable solution. Making it worse yet is that we are divided along far more different lines than we had been in what are considered with much merit to be our darkest days as a nation.

Equality either does or does not exist. We are either one people or we are not. In order to be one people, our culture must be the melting pot spoken of often in generations past in which one culture is formed from those who make it up, rather than a tossed salad which is a patchwork of pockets of dissimilar and mutually exclusive groups. I believe that King's goal was and is realistic, but that doesn't guarantee that it will happen. Unfortunately, half a century ago, the spokesman on the issue sought to bring people together, as opposed to the opposite goal being carried out by the spokesmen of the present who are agents of division for political gain. Fortunately, we are not compelled to listen to them.

AMEN!
    Even the fed pushes multiculturalism instead of integration, its the old Divide and Conquer mentality for sure.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Really? Show me any mainstream media story where that is true. Any at all.

I am comparing outlets and what they produce for their audience. Websites/forums, etc., which are just as powerful as mainstream media in some cases, produce stories that depict people like Jesse Jackson in a less than pleasant light. On the other side, the majority of mainstream media does the same for people like George Bush (still!), Rand Paul, etc.

It's just a continuing game of complaining that will never stop. Each side will say, "Well, they said..." as the other side returns the same reason for their latest product for public consumption.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    So to you people who thinks the NRA does nothing for you, look at what Mr. LaPierre is putting up with.
    Rascism is a usable wedge that the left would like to put between us gunowners. It works if we let it. In gunspeak, rascism seems like the last round in the magazine to me.

Top Bottom