• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Just wondering being a lefty if there are any left hand oriented pistols out there? I have a good snubbie revolver, but i am really looking for something with a higher cap than 5 rounds. Any help i could get would be appreciated.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    A number of pistols out there have ambidextrous or reversible controls; very few have left-handed ejection. The Walther P5 springs immediately to mind as a relatively common example of the latter.

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    I'm also a lefty. I find my Springfield Armory XDm to be an great gun. It has an ambidextrous mag release and does not have any external safeties (uses a 1911 grip safety). The slide release is for right-handers, but you get used to it pretty quick for locking the slide open.

I've looked at the Ruger SR9 as well. They are fully ambidextrous and have a good reputation.

Also, I have a CZ P-01. I love it, but it is not left friendly like the full size 85 previously mentioned. CZ's a great choice all around.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    A number of pistols out there have ambidextrous or reversible controls; very few have left-handed ejection. The Walther P5 springs immediately to mind as a relatively common example of the latter.
    P-38 too.
    They can be found in the $300.00 range.

I just ignore the brass flying across my line of sight.
    Mike

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Thanks for the info guys, this gives me something to do some reasearch on. my buddy has a springfeild xd, it is a rather comfortable gun.

Kmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Denver,IN
    I too am a lefty, and I recently purchased a new ruger sr9c. It has ambi mag release and ambi 1911 style safties.Very impressed with the pistols oveall accuracy as well. Nice left handed compact carry pistol.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    The Smith & Wesson M&P line of pistols have 100% ambidextrous controls. The only thing a lefty needs to do to have all of the controls where you need them is to reverse the mag release... Doing this is a no brainer.

Here is a picture of my M&P Pro Series to tempt you:
    pro9hst.jpg

Snayperskaya

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Indy Northwest
    HK P30. No external safety. Decocker is next to the hammer. Ambi slide release and mag release. Quite a bit more than 5 rounds. Incredibly reliable. What more do you want?

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    If you want an ambi pistol either get the HK P2000 series or the HK P30 as both the mag release and the slide release is completely ambi.

Otherwise get a 1911 and get an embi safety and learn how to use your index finger to release the mag. Thats how I use my 1911's.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    HK P30. No external safety. Decocker is next to the hammer. Ambi slide release and mag release. Quite a bit more than 5 rounds. Incredibly reliable. What more do you want?

+1 for the p30. The de-cocker is on the left side of the hammer, not bad for a lefty,but the LEM is even better. No de-cocker. I'm a lefty and have had many handguns that were ok,but the p30 is the best by far.

2w58uuq.jpg

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    The Ruger P series is pretty good for left handed controls.

Charter arms makes a "South Paw" revolver.

I'm not too fond of the decocker on the P30/2000, for a lefty you nearly have to let go of the pistol and at that point it's just as easy to guide the hammer down to half cock using the trigger. The USPs can have internals swapped into a slew of configurations, most with a left handed counterpart. I've always had a fondness for the P7 pistols, and their super simple manual of arms, I always balk at the price though.

FN goes a long way to make all of their pistols ambidextrous, and the FS2000 and PS90 are also very lefty friendly.

The P99/SW99 are pretty good for lefties as well, their decocker solves the problem of being ambidextrous by requiring you to use your other hand, left or right handed :D

Steyr M series pistols, along with Glocks and XDs are left hand friendly by eliminating controls. I've grown accustom to using my trigger finger for the mag and slide release anyway. On all of these pistols they're an easy, natural reach.

The only pistols I've found that are not left hand friendly at all are the SIG P225/6/8/9 and Pro. The decocker is a tough reach, the slide release is nearly impossible.

troy2198

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Valparaiso
    another lefty here, and i'm a big fan of the hk's. I own a usp 45 compact, and a hk45 full size. Both are amazing in quality and life span. the hk45 has slide release on both sides as well as mag release. both guns as well as most of the other hk models have the option for ambi safeties. I've also shot the p30 which is very customizable to your hand with the same features as above.

Top Bottom