• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I haven't had any problems with my Loadmaster. I keep primers in the tray and put a universal decapping die in hole #1, and pull the decapper out of the sizing die in hole #2.

I did modify the large case feeder to work with .40 S&W rather than modify the small one.

Yes I have flipped a primer or two (my fault, not the LM, and it's easy to prevent with a paper clip) and I've purposely run it low to see what happens (nothing bad, the powder goes down the hole). I've intentionally double fed primers (nothing bad, the primer goes down the hole on the next station).

Adjustments are easy and intuitive. When I first got it I was miles ahead by watching the youtube videos though.

One thing I learned on my last session is to not pull the return chain on the AutoDisk tighter than one bead or it will break. Fortunately it broke in a place where I could still use it.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I haven't had any problems with my Loadmaster. I keep primers in the tray and put a universal decapping die in hole #1, and pull the decapper out of the sizing die in hole #2.

I did modify the large case feeder to work with .40 S&W rather than modify the small one.

Yes I have flipped a primer or two (my fault, not the LM, and it's easy to prevent with a paper clip) and I've purposely run it low to see what happens (nothing bad, the powder goes down the hole). I've intentionally double fed primers (nothing bad, the primer goes down the hole on the next station).

Adjustments are easy and intuitive. When I first got it I was miles ahead by watching the youtube videos though.

One thing I learned on my last session is to not pull the return chain on the AutoDisk tighter than one bead or it will break. Fortunately it broke in a place where I could still use it.

I took the stupid chain off. I kept getting it caught and broke it to the point it was too short to use. I got a $.50 spring from the hardware store and put it from that arm down to the main body of the press and it works GREAT.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I took the stupid chain off. I kept getting it caught and broke it to the point it was too short to use. I got a $.50 spring from the hardware store and put it from that arm down to the main body of the press and it works GREAT.

You can do that (it's what their powder measure for the turret presses have) but that chain serves a specific goal. When properly adjusted that chain will not return the charging disk to its starting position (i.e. picking up more powder) until the ram is fully lowered and the cases have been indexed to the next station. Using the spring means the disk returns to the starting position the instant the case leaves the charging die. If you should happen to get distracted and reverse direction before completing the stroke that case is going to pick up a 2nd charge because the disk has already refilled.

I see so many people ridicule that chain but it is an intentional design choice to help prevent an accidental double charge. IMHO you'd be better served picked up some more of that chain from your local hardware store instead of using a spring. I could be wrong but I'd guess a stronger chain in the same diameter is available somewhere as well.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I understand the purpose of it...but its problematic in its design. Its far to long and was in the way plus it was weak. For me I will just use my head and not double charge them. And lets not get into the discussion about how we need to protect our selves from our selves.....if i cant pay attention i don't need to be reloading

Sorry for the thread jacking OP...back to the thread!

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I have a Lee 4 hole auto index, Pro 1000, Loadmaster, 12 ga and 20 ga load alls. I don't have any real problems with them, and I load at least a couple of hundred rounds a week. I load by the thousands during the winter when it is just too nasty do do anything else. I will say that primers can go off, no matter what type. I had a full tray of CCI 300 Large pistols chain fire all the way up to the tray last fall. Scared the living crap out of me. I cleaned everything up, and started loading again, like I never stopped.

I'm just not feeling the love on this thread:D

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    After traying from the Lee camp for a few years, I have returned, and don't regret the choice. I've never had a bad reload with my Lee stuff, which is more than I can say for a couple of other brands.

Plisken

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Under the radar
    I have the lee pro 1000. I got it used for cheap. It works ok except for one thing . As some of the other posters say the priming station sucks. Mine has given me fits from the get go. Its supposed to be progressive but Im lucky to get 50 to 100 rounds before the priming system malfunctions. Its frustrating. Im going to save my $$$$ and get either a hornady lock and load or a dillon square deal b. Just my .02 cents worth.

Top Bottom