• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KevinJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    I also cast my 2 cents in the ring for the Rock Chucker. Started in mid 80s with .357 and 30-30. Can't go wrong with it.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I've had my Rockchucker for 30+ years, no problems with press whatsoever. I've got a Lyman turret press and it is a good one, too, but I prefer the Rockchucker for rifle cartridges and any kind of case forming.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Lee makes a cast press too. I picked up one. I have five Lee presses. I have two of the small C presses that I use when I am on the road. They work great and I have had no problems out of them. I have used them for most reloading chores. So far so good.

I have three other Lee presses that I use at home. I have never had any problems out of them.

The turret press I use for 44mag, 45 ACP and 9mm. Soon I will be using it for 380 ACP.

The classic cast press I use for case forming.

The Challenger press I have had for years and used it to do every thing because that was all I had. It must be twenty five or thirty years old.

The press that I had before that was a RCBS that was stolen from me in an apartment brake in. I think I had it for 10 years or so before it was stolen.

It worked well, but I can't say it was any better than the Lee's.

Last edited:

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Here's a little monkey wrench thrown in. I was about ready to order the Rock Chucker and saw in one of the Sunday adds that a local shop has the Hornady® Lock-n-Load Classic™ Kit for the same price. What are the thoughts on this setup?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Here's a little monkey wrench thrown in. I was about ready to order the Rock Chucker and saw in one of the Sunday adds that a local shop has the Hornady® Lock-n-Load Classic™ Kit for the same price. What are the thoughts on this setup?

The Hornady press is basically every bit as good and sometimes they come with a deal where you get a bunch of "free" bullets. I don't think you'll ever get someone to tell you that any single-stage press is better than the RCBS Rock-Chucker, but there are no flies on the LNL Classic, either.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I am looking to purchase my 1st reloading kit. I am looking at one of the Lee kits and the Rock Chucker Master kit. I will be reloading .223 and 40 SW to start out. I'm having a hard time deciding.
    I've head that the Rock Chucker is one of the better ones and that I will not be disappointed, nothing really negative. I've heard from some that the Lee is great and if a perfect starter press. I have read and been told that the Lee is a little loose and may cause issues if I want to get into precision shooting. The price difference between the two kits are quite a bit. I've got $300 or less to spend on the kit.
    What to do?
    My personal biased opinion is stick with a RCBS or Lyman kit. I have owned both. There is nothing wrong with some of the other kits, but the RCBS and Lyman products seem over-engineered and to me that is a good thing.

cl4p-tp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Kokomo
    I would avoid the kits all together. I started out a few years ago with the lee single stage kit and all the accessories are junk. If I were you I would buy a used rock chucker and just buy the accessories over the next 6 months. Gives you a bit of time to save up some brass too

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I would avoid the kits all together. I started out a few years ago with the lee single stage kit and all the accessories are junk. If I were you I would buy a used rock chucker and just buy the accessories over the next 6 months. Gives you a bit of time to save up some brass too

The Lee reloading kit is the only one to avoid. The tools and accessories from RCBS, Lyman and Hornady are all quality stuff.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    If you can afford the RCBS then do it.....you can't buy a better press for the money. If cash is tight
    then Lee is ok, but I agree, no kits. My son bought one recently and we were both disappointed.
    The press and dies are workable, and the book is great ,but some of the accessories are just cheap.
    I like my RCBS powder measure and scale .Also the case trimmer. I have used a
    Lee hand primer for years....or should I say several because I've broken so many. I recently bought
    one from Hornady and I hope it holds up better. One piece of advice I've seen here many times...
    Don't go cheap or you'll buy again and again...or just quit.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    I'll go contrary to the conventional wisdom here. Start with a Lee single-stage press. If you really enjoy reloading, sell it and upgrade to a quality progressive.

Or just start with a progressive.

I loaded .223, .45, 9, 38 cal., and 9x18 for years with the Lee. I could do several hundred rounds a week, and it quickly paid for itself.

Top Bottom