• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • prostate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    Yes, I get one for each caliber I load, though I don't use them very often. They are handy, work well, and aren't as slow as you might think with a little practice. If you are looking because of money, or space, considerations a Lee Hand Press is faster and easier to use, and doesn't cost all that much more. Still, with the Lee Loader you can have a basic setup that will let you start putting loads together for under $30 or so.

YouTube - Using a Lee Classic Loader
    thanks for the tip. It looks like the hand press might be a better alternative

swbster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    My 2cents of the Lee Hand loader

I have loaded a couple hundred(close to 500) 9mm's with the hand loader and have had three primers go off. Not a big deal but it can happen so safety glasses are a must. As far as using this for any real production, I think you will find it is a lot of work and the precision of setting the bullet(OAL Over All Length) can be slightly inconsistent. Not a big deal but thought I would mention it.

So, having said all this, I highly recommend that you buy and experience this great, economical reloading solution.:twocents:

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Thanks to Joe on the video, very good. I need to start reloading for bullseye shooting and this reloader can get me there pretty cheap for now. I will upgrade eventually but this should work. A couple of noob questions.
    With this reloader how do you all prep your brass. Do you de-prime first? tumblers?
    I have a rubber mallet so what else do I need besides a lee reloader kit, primers, powder,and bullets?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Thanks to Joe on the video, very good. I need to start reloading for bullseye shooting and this reloader can get me there pretty cheap for now. I will upgrade eventually but this should work. A couple of noob questions.
    With this reloader how do you all prep your brass. Do you de-prime first? tumblers?
    I have a rubber mallet so what else do I need besides a lee reloader kit, primers, powder,and bullets?

If you want to go the route of the classic loader, you'll want as a minimum the Lee dipper set, and a set of calipers. You can get away with using a factory round with a similar bullet type and weight to set the seating depth, but it's not ideal. As time goes on, you'll want to add things like powder scales, powder measure, a press and dies, a tumbler, etc. I was broke when I started, and went the route of upgrading a piece at a time. You can get away without tumbling for now, but after my wife got me one for my anniversary a few years ago I wouldn't want to go back to not having one.

If you can squeeze out a couple hundred bucks from the get go, though, you can get a pretty nice basic set up with a press. I like the classic loader, but a press is flat out nicer. The set up below is pretty close to what I use now, and have for years. It has the advantage of being quite friendly to folks with limited space, and no room for a dedicated bench.

A Lee Hand Press kit, which includes the Ram Prime = $40
    Cabela's -- Lee Hand Press Reloading Kit

Lee Safety Scales = $25
    Cabela's -- Lee Safety Powder Scale

Lee Perfect Powder Measure = $25
    Cabela's -- Lee Perfect Powder Measure

Lee carbide four die set, which include the factory taper crimp die = $37
    Cabela's -- Lee Deluxe Pistol Four-Die Set

Stainless steel calipers = $25
    Cabela's Stainless Steel Caliper

Lyman Turbo 1200 tumbler = $50
    Cabela's -- Lyman 1200 Pro Tumbler

You'll want a couple reloading manuals. I use Lee Modern Reloading 2nd Edition, and Lyman's Handgun and Revolver reloading manual. You can pick them both up for about $25 total. Even though you can back up reloading data from the internet pretty well, I prefer having two actual manuals. Never trust data from just one source.

That totals out to $227. If you prefer a bench mounted setup, you can get one of Lee's kits, with a nice Challenger Breech Lock press, for $25 or $30 more, and that includes Lee's Auto Prime, which is SWEET compared to the Ram Prime included with the hand press.

This set up has worked well for me for a lot of years. Now that I'm having to reload for three, and a lot more than I used to, it's starting to be a chore from time to time. I'm considering upgrading to a Lee Turret Press, but I'm in no huge rush to do so. I've gotta figure out where I'd mount a press, first.

Hope this makes sense... I just got home, and I'm tired LOL.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    thanks for the tip. It looks like the hand press might be a better alternative
    I use the Lee Loader and I like it a lot. My question is are you loading for just one caliber or will you be expanding to other calibers. If so the hand press would make more sense, and is still very compact.+

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Nice video and post with all the links Joe! You are the samurai of the lee classic reloader, the economy of motion you have demonstrated is pretty impressive. I have seen a lot of you tube videos about it but they spend the entire time gabbing about their knowledge. You get the education in but then demonstrate it in practice. It is hard to do anything efficiently if you have never seen it done efficiently. Thanks! I've taken "start reloading" off of the back burner and will proceed asap.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    More than one person has made reference to space. How much more space would a press take up ? Just looking at my bench, I would say the rock chucker and Lee classic turret takes up about the same each. I would also add the space either takes is just a small percentage of what I feel is needed for loading blocks, powder scale, calipers, a open manual, gages, ect...

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I use the Lee Loader and I like it a lot. My question is are you loading for just one caliber or will you be expanding to other calibers. If so the hand press would make more sense, and is still very compact.+

Very compact, indeed, if you need it to be.
    BasicReloading005.jpg

BasicReloading006.jpg

BasicReloading008.jpg

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    order all the stuff from Natchezss instead of Cabela's and save $25-$30, too. I highly recommend the Breech-Lock challenger press over the hand press if for single stage loading.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Yes, I get one for each caliber I load, though I don't use them very often. They are handy, work well, and aren't as slow as you might think with a little practice. If you are looking because of money, or space, considerations a Lee Hand Press is faster and easier to use, and doesn't cost all that much more. Still, with the Lee Loader you can have a basic setup that will let you start putting loads together for under $30 or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-LA2G_Sy4I
    Joe I watched your video and I do plan on linking to it when others ask about the Lee Loader. I do tend to do it in steps. Deprime all the cases, size all the cases etc. I do, however, make charging the case and seating the bullet on step. I just think it helps me to be more sure I didn't forget to charge or double charge. Also I can deprime and resize with quite a bit going on, but I make sure to get rid of any distractions before I charge and seat.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I do deprime first, I don't tumble my brass. I use a homemade case cleaning solution. You can find the recipe here
    topic,18198.msg191037.html
    Homemade Case cleaner from old NRA recipe...cheap...with pics
    A digital caliper is nice to measure over all length. Also powder scale comes in handy. For straight wall pistol calibers, I wouldn't mess with a case trimmer. Also a pocket cleaner is a bit of a waste. You can clean the pocket just fine with a small flat head screw diver.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    More than one person has made reference to space. How much more space would a press take up ?
    For me the size issue is really more about portability than space on my loading bench. If you are the kind of guy that would like to develop loads at the range or just want reloading outfit to throw in your "bugout kit" the Lee loader or the hand press would interest you.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    More than one person has made reference to space. How much more space would a press take up ? Just looking at my bench, I would say the rock chucker and Lee classic turret takes up about the same each. I would also add the space either takes is just a small percentage of what I feel is needed for loading blocks, powder scale, calipers, a open manual, gages, ect...

A cheapo wooden computer or student desk is adequate. For me, finding a place to put one is actually a challenge, until we get an outdoor shed to put all our camping and emergency supplies. Right now, I just use the handpress at our dining room table... but I can't seem to convince Cathy to let me mount a press to it :D

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Joe,

Have you used a Lee Classic kit in.45 acp? I've heard some say it's difficult/requires considerable effort to resize the 45 cases.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A cheapo wooden computer or student desk is adequate. For me, finding a place to put one is actually a challenge, until we get an outdoor shed to put all our camping and emergency supplies. Right now, I just use the handpress at our dining room table... but I can't seem to convince Cathy to let me mount a press to it :D

Oh, I can remember similiar days as well. I spent the first 4 years reloading while I was in the service also storing everything ( press was a rock chucker ) in large stackable plastic bins. I had absolutely no where well suited to set up due to I was living in rental properties during that time. Would temporarily use the kitchen table and " C " clamps.

After I got discharged and returned home, I started with a nice 8 foot heavy top back when I was single and had plenty of room. Then I got married and started a family, then ran out of room quickly. The nice 8 foot table got ripped into a 4 ft table and stuck in a corner of a small extra bedroom with hardly any room for anything else. Things continued to change to the point we had no choice but to add on a room addition. This gave us a little extra room, I then started over and built a new 8 ft bench. Not as nice as my first, but plenty of room for what I do. Wish now I wouldn't have cut the first table in half and gave away the other half. LOL

Also, not only does the bench take up alot of room, but there are also things I don't like out in the open on top of the bench. I like to keep primers and different powders in a cabinet next to the bench. This cabinet also takes up close to another 4 feet. Also, I throw in those empty plastic ammo boxes, store what my wife calls all " the fillthy boxes of cast bullets", and also all the cleaning supplies to keep the bench area half- ways tidy looking.

Now that wife is staring to get into reloading, will be interesting to see what happens to my organization. I constantly remind her that there is logic to my madness. :D

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Joe,

Have you used a Lee Classic kit in.45 acp? I've heard some say it's difficult/requires considerable effort to resize the 45 cases.
    My Lee Loader is a 45 acp. I never thought of using it as difficult, but I don't have anything to compare it to since it is the only caliber I reload.

Top Bottom