• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Yes, I get one for each caliber I load, though I don't use them very often. They are handy, work well, and aren't as slow as you might think with a little practice. If you are looking because of money, or space, considerations a Lee Hand Press is faster and easier to use, and doesn't cost all that much more. Still, with the Lee Loader you can have a basic setup that will let you start putting loads together for under $30 or so.

YouTube - Using a Lee Classic Loader

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I inherited a .38 Special, and 12 Ga. loaders, but have never done a thing with them. I'm intrigued now... may do some banging around this weekend on the .38 Special one!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Does anyone have any experience with the "Lee classic reloader"? This is the hand reloader kit that Lee offers
    Yes, that is what I started reloading with, 37 years ago. I have one in .410, and one in 9mm. Have progressed to a RCBS, Rock Chucker,
    and have been happy with that, since 1979.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Used them on 22-250 an .223 back in the 80's, still have the one
    for .223. They work great, but can be on the slow side when wanting
    to reload alot. Just watch how you scoop the powder each time. I liked
    pouring the powder in a bowl an scooping up lightly, then trimming off
    the top with a card. I tried overflowing the scoop on the 22-250 to get
    some hot faster loads....ha...I got it...the 55gr bullets were disintgrating
    after 50yds!!! OOOppps....tooooo hot....I used some on groundhogs under
    30yds. They must of entered an exploded because I never got a exit wound.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    My intro to reloading was with a Lee Loader for .44 Mag. I used to to load ~150 rounds and when i'm really in a groove, I can do the complete process from fired brass to completed round in about 45 seconds. I've since gotten setup with a press, but I wouldn't hesitate to load or shoot rounds in any caliber available.

There are also some benefits in the bottleneck cartridge series. Since the Lee loader only neck sizes, your brass is fireformed to your chamber and can increase your accuracy. Neck-size only is all the rage in the benchrest world.

My most accurate reloads in .44 mag was a 240gr Speer JHP loaded over 21.3gr of 5744 and a CCI300 primer. 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. (4x scoped rifle, 23" barrel)

So yeah. I think they're fun and worthwhile. Might be a bit intensive for autoloading pistols but for revolvers and rifle carts, they're a cheap and accurate solution for someone starting to load.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Unless you are backpacking and reloading out in the boonies it's a waste of time and money IMHO.

I thought that you are not supposed to touch primers with your hands?

Bah! That rule is for people who never wash their grimey hands.

Granted you skin produces moisture, salts, and oils, so if you plan on storing your ammo for more than a year or for TEOTWAWKI, then it is worth having a priming method that avoids handling them. - JMO

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    One thing I forgot to mention. My biggest issue with the Lee Loader is the potential for the primer to go off while seating. I once had three out of fifty go off. Wear eye protection!

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I've loaded literally hundreds of rounds with the Lee Loader
    an never had a primer go off!! It sounds like a primer problem,
    but eye protection can't be bad.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    One of those would be a good idea for the SHTF bag ;)

Which is why I buy one for each caliber we carry :)

As for touching the primers with your hands... been doing it 20 years. Whether with the Lee Loader, or the ram prime on my hand press, I just can't see using tweezers or something to do it. It would be dog slow, and I can just see primers squirting across the room LOL. I've never had a primer problem.

rj3438

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    My first reloading experiences were with one for .45ACP. Works fine but just not as fast as other methods.

Top Bottom