Lee Classic for .30-06? Any tips for a rifle cartridge newbie?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I tried a search but there's so many threads that mention Lee or .30 that I was getting a lot of stuff that didn't apply.

I just picked up a .30-06, and while I likely won't shoot it all that much I'd like to be able to reload given the cost of factory ammo. Its a bolt action, as from the limited research I've done they take to neck only re-sizing better than a semi auto, yes?

I've reloaded pistol cartridges for over a decade, but this will be my first rifle round. I'm thinking for the cost, the Lee Classic might just do what I want it to. I do have a single stage and a turret already, though, and can buy dies for them as well.

Is there any significant difference in reloading rifle over pistol? Do I need to lube the cases if I use the Classic? Standard dies? Will the Classic allow much versatility in choosing different bullet weights and seating depths?

Also, any favorite .30-06 loads? Especially any light bullet flat shooting varmint loads, but any are appreciated.

Last edited:

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    When you say "Classic", do you mean the Lee Classic Loader?
    It'll work, but why? You have the expensive part, (the press), and the Classic Loader runs about the same price as a set of dies.
    I'd get the dies, and use what ever press you like.

If you've reloaded for pistols, you won't have any problem loading for a rifle.
    Any reloading manual is going to have step by step instructions with pictures, and I'm sure there are videos on Youtube.
    You will have to lube the cases. I use the Lee stuff in the tube for .30-06.
    You will get better case life by neck sizing, but starting out I wouldn't bother with it. Walk before you run and all that.

I'm loading for a Garand, so all my loads are 150 gr or better.
    So far at least, my rifle seems to like the 168gr Sierra Match Kings.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    You should size your cases enough that they will go back into your chamber again, cleanly. Sizing any further can shorten case life and potentially limit accuracy.

Rifle dies are not like carbide pistol dies; you must lube in some manner and the lube should be wiped off or cleaned in some way. I usually tumble rifle cases for 20 minutes, lube/resize, then tumble again for a short time. Clean and "gleaming" are two different things.

You don't mention which single-stage or turret press you have, but it's almost for certain you can reload any 30-caliber bullet in your -'06 cases using the single-stage. If you have the Lee Classic Turret, you can use that for loading 30-'06 as well, you just have to charge the cases manually. You can use this press like a single-stage, if you like.

I shoot 125gr Ballistic Tips out of my 03A3, but they aren't loaded hot for varmints, they're actually loaded mild for reduced-recoil deer loads (not in Indiana). That would be an excellent bullet to start with for a varmint load. However, each rifle is unique, so there are no loads someone can give you that will make your rifle shoot well, except by chance. Like all reloading endeavors, you need to reference documented load data, starting low and working your way up with care.

Good luck and let us know how you do with your new rifle. :)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Both of my presses are Lee, and supposedly will handle up to .50 BMG. I bought the single stage in 2000 and the turret in probably 2001 or 2002, and its the old type that will take either the 3 hole plate or the 4 hole plate with a swap of the turning rod.

I just thought the little hand loader might be handy because of its size and portability, that you could play with various loadings in the field to tune a bit and because I probably won't get to shoot the rifle all that often its going to be a fairly low volume operation. I've never used one before, though.

Thanks for the input so far.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    You can neck resize it in bolt action with no lube. Need lube for full length resizing.i neck size the brass that I shoot with the same gun and full resize "range brass" I find. I would get the Lee Deluxe dies as they include both the collet die (for neck sizing) and a full length resizing die. Alo ncludes bullet seating die. Just no crimp die, but since it is a bolt action, crimping isnt necessary.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Single stage is a good idea, since you are probably not going to be producing mass quantities, and will likely want good control over powder charge. I'm using a Lee Classic with RCBS dies with good success. I always full length size, and like to use fair amounts of lube since the press is made of aluminum and not steel. I like 150gr and 168gr bullets like was mentioned above, and prefer IMR4895 powder. Play with your load a bit, but 47-48 grains is usually ok for M1 safe loads.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Winchester cases, cci primers, Hodgdon4895, some nice 150g bullets and have at it. I like hornady case lube myself. The classis press is a classis, heh.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Winchester cases, cci primers, Hodgdon4895, some nice 150g bullets and have at it. I like hornady case lube myself. The classis press is a classis, heh.

Are you talking about the Lee Classic Cast single stage reloading press? Or are you talking about the little Lee Classic Loader, fits in your pocket, whack it with a hammer kit? Or are you talking about the Lee hand press? Lee's use of the term "classic" causes some confusion I think when they use it on different products. Maybe you could clarify exactly what you are asking about, for my sake anyway.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Yeah, when it comes to the Lee stuff, the use of a lower case or capital "C" makes a big difference. :)

I'm guessing he means the Lee Classic Cast brand of press, not the "classic" Lee Loader kit.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For clarification:

I currently own a Lee single state press.
    I currently own a Lee turret press, the old kind that takes either 3 hole plates or 4 hole plates.

I am asking about the little hand loader thingy that lets you take it with you instead of mounting it to a table.

pistlshuutr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    you have the most important piece of equipment, the press. Just buy the dies and use your press. I like Imperial Sizing wax or Hornady Unique Case lube. Be sure to do complete case prep and cleaning. Two big things read you manufacturers die adjustment instructions and use a good reloading manual as a reference. the 06 may like 165 to 180 grain bullets 4064 is a great powder. Good luck and enjoy the experience.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    For clarification:

I currently own a Lee single state press.
    I currently own a Lee turret press, the old kind that takes either 3 hole plates or 4 hole plates.

I am asking about the little hand loader thingy that lets you take it with you instead of mounting it to a table.

OK, you're asking about the Lee Classic Loader then.

Lee Loader 30/06 Spring - Lee Precision

It is a self contained kit that you can use to reload cartridges. I have two of them and enjoy them very much. I still use my Lee Classic Loader sometimes instead of my press and dies because I want to neck size only and I don't have a neck sizing die.

You do NOT need to lube the cases with this tool. It is just as expensive or more so than a set of Lee dies for your single stage press. It is a handy little tool and I think it is fun to use. It is rather slow going but it is highly portable and can be used to make some great ammo. If you just want to reload 20 or 50 rounds at a time and don't mind the fact that you can't full length size, I think you would quite happy with it. If you are wanting to reload for an auto-loader I would get a set of dies for your press instead so that you can full length size.

Also, if portability is your main concern, you might consider a Lee Hand Press.
    Breech Lock Hand Press - Lee Precision
    It is used with the same die set that you would use on your bench press but you can take it anywhere. I've loaded a brazillion .30-06 with one. It won't fit in your pocket like the Lee Loader, though.

Here's a link to using the Lee Loader that you might be interested in:

Beartooth Bullets > Tech Notes > Handloading On A Shoestring

Top Bottom