• ...and so much more!
  • tackshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 11, 2014
    Southside
    Hey guys
    I'm leaving for basic training sep.13/14 and I want to shoot my AR at some longer distances than what I have access to. So my question is,
    Is there anyway that someone could get me into a range that has some distances up to 250yds plus. I'll drive and have some ammo to give you, a lil low on funds at the moment but might be able to buy lunch as well.
    I'm in mooresville on the southside of indy.
    Thanks!

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Hey guys
    I'm leaving for basic training sep.13/14 and I want to shoot my AR at some longer distances than what I have access to. So my question is,
    Is there anyway that someone could get me into a range that has some distances up to 250yds plus. I'll drive and have some ammo to give you, a lil low on funds at the moment but might be able to buy lunch as well.
    Thanks!

My suggestion is to shoot at short range concentrating on fundamentals: Cheek to stock weld, sight picture, breathing and trigger control. If possible practice from the prone supported position.
    Army qualification isn't that hard, the hardest part for me was dealing with a helmet that like to move around. The Marine Corps (used to) qualify without all the field gear on, but their qualification was, some say, more difficult.
    Either way the reinforcing the fundamentals never hurt. Remember, there are two ways to do things, the wrong way and the Army (or Marine Corps) way; listen to your instructors when you get there.

colts1982

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Kokomo
    I served as a active duty infantryman in the U.S. Army. Don't worry about shooting right now. They don't care about what you have done or can do as a civilian they want you to learn there way. They made this very clear in basic. It does help understanding the m16/ar15 platform but as for shooting the weapon trust me they will teach you what you need to know to be combat affective out to 300 meters

KUJO2388

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2015
    Terre Haute
    If by basic you meant the Army then you will have no trouble. The way the qualifying is set up you can pass by just shooting the close up targets. Ignore the 200 and further out and you still "pass". They will let you do familiarization fire first and that will help you get comfortable.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It's not clear, but it sounds like he may just wants to have some fun before getting out of here. Either way, is there someone with a membership in Martinsville willing to take him out. If he's joining the Air Force, don't waste your time. Just kidding. 

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It's not clear, but it sounds like he may just wants to have some fun before getting out of here. Either way, is there someone with a membership in Martinsville willing to take him out. If he's joining the Air Force, don't waste your time. Just kidding. 

This is how I understood him also.

But I'm offended Que. My son is in the Chair For...er Air Force!:) They had to qualify in full chemical attack gear in 100 degree + temps in San Antonio. Gas mask included.

OP, contact the Martinsville Conservation club. They have nice members. You should find someone that will take you there as a guest. They have an awesome range and the distance you are looking for.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Hey guys
    Thanks!

Thank you for your commitment.

You will do fine. Don't try to overthink it, your DI will teach you, all you have to do a listen.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    At least everyone is straight on who has Basic Training and who has Boot Camp.

OP: I wouldn't worry about it. All the services have folks who's job is to maintain weapons and train people to shoot.

tackshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 11, 2014
    Southside
    Thanks everyone who posted, To clarify I'm going into the Army, yes I do want to kinda have a lil fun before I leave, I haven't shot in a little while so getting backed to the basic would always be good. I'm not to worried bc I've been shooting since I was 5 and my dad was in the Rangers so he was a good teacher.

Lovemywoods- thanks for your pm and I will contact you asap
    Que- I didn't think of the conservation club, ill contact them and see what they say.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Hey guys
    Thanks!

Thanks everyone who posted, To clarify I'm going into the Army, yes I do want to kinda have a lil fun before I leave, I haven't shot in a little while so getting backed to the basic would always be good. I'm not to worried bc I've been shooting since I was 5 and my dad was in the Rangers so he was a good teacher.

Lovemywoods- thanks for your pm and I will contact you asap
    Que- I didn't think of the conservation club, ill contact them and see what they say.

Old Trails in Richmond has a 50, 75, 100, 200 & 300 yard range. I'm a member and can bring guests anytime. There are certain days and times that the 300 has priority over all other ranges. Let me know if you are interested and I'll get you more information.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If by basic you meant the Army then you will have no trouble. The way the qualifying is set up you can pass by just shooting the close up targets. Ignore the 200 and further out and you still "pass". They will let you do familiarization fire first and that will help you get comfortable.

Bolo badge....and yes, I used that strategy once.

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Sellersburg
    also, when you are waiting in line for your shoot...write down the sequence the pop up targets come up in, then have your notebook next to you when you fire.
    if they give you crap...tell the drill sergeant that you are using an improvised DA Form 5517-R Range Card to engage your known targets ;)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    At least everyone is straight on who has Basic Training and who has Boot Camp.

OP: I wouldn't worry about it. All the services have folks who's job is to maintain weapons and train people to shoot.

Never shot in the Navy the first 3 years. Then on the sub, we went to a range, they gave me 30 rounds, told me to "point it that way"
    And that was my Navy firearms training.

I did get some fun when the SEALs brought their toys out on deployment, but that was topside shooting garbage. No real training.

Top Bottom