• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Is it bad to leave a spent casing in the chamber of a gun for an few months?

It's a Yugo capture K98 and a modern non-corrosive brass case and the gun is in a dry place.

It's grandpa's gun, but Dad wants to take it out sometime soon, but he can never remember the caliber, so I figure if I leave an EMPTY casing in it he can us it for reference.

I don't think it will be an issue, but just checking.

Last edited:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I wonder if it would lead to corrosion, like when a cartridge is left in a revolver cylinder for long periods of time.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Brass will corrode, given the right circumstances.

This corrosion can/will adhere the case to the chamber.

I'd not leave one in there.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    People often leave guns loaded for long periods of time... why would a casing w/o a bullet be any different. I'd say it's no more likely to see corrosion than if you had a loaded round in there......

-rvb

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I don't like to store with anything in the chamber because of safety but I wouldn't worry about hurting anything.

Sanguine Samurai

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Indiana
    If you are worried about the spent round corroding in the chamber why not just load it, or a live round for that matter, in the magazine? Better yet, fully load the rifle. That way it is ready to go in an emergency, and you have a few rounds to go before you have to worry about remembering the caliber. If keeping a loaded gun is not your thing you could also write the caliber/ cartridge description on a piece or paper and rubber band it around the barrel or cleaning rod.

homer12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    also, what if you cleaned up the spent casing from carbon so it was clean brass? I would think if things were clean and oiled then no big deal.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    1) Obtain 3 pieces of paper
    2) write the cartrige type/dimensions on each piece of paper
    3) Put one piece of paper in the buttstock
    4) Put one piece of paper in the safe
    5) Put one piece of paper in dad's wallet. If he is very forgetful (which says maybe it's time he put up the guns for good) tape it to the back of his drivers license (if they haven't pulled it yet).

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Myself, don't leave it. What happens when they look in and see it and think its empty when it's not?

Myself, if its loaded, it's live. Period. I agree with several notes or a Baggie with a spent case tied to it.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I would not for one main reason: Safety

I do not want to encourage people to see a round in the chamber and think it's a spent round. It's a long shot, but I would not want my father to find himself in a situation where the gun went bang and he is crying saying that he thought it was just a spent round in the chamber because sometimes his son leaves a spent round in the chamber and now someone we love is shot.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I would not do it for safety reasons. That aside, there is another concern.

Most any two dissimilar (not the same) metals in constant contact will result in galvanic corrosion. It will basically corrode your chamber.

This may take many, many years to do any lasting damage, but then again it may not take that long.
    Time, temperature, relative humidity, vapors in the air, salt in the air (depending on your location) all can have negative effects.

Short story, don't do it.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It won't hurt a thing. A galvanic reaction between brass and steel is not even close to being a possibilty. It is totally safe because it is a fired case and because it is a k98 Mauser, it will come out with the bolt when the bolt is manipulated.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There's two new inventions: paper and pen.

They're useful for keeping notes for stuff like this.

Also, let me guess - if the gun is stolen he'd never be able to file a report with the serial number.

Top Bottom