• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    Let me preface to say, I am not a big fan of Tim Leatherman's politics, but I think his company makes some rock solid tools.

I had an original Leatherman tool when I was in the service, and it worked great, used it forever and then, I lost it. Fast forward some time, and I bought a Leatherman Super Tool to use for my fire investigation duties. This tool has been abused, the wire cutters were dull, and I once dropped it in a basement full of water where is sat for 2 days until the I found it, it was a long investigation.

I sent the tool last Tuesday for refurbishing and to utilize their warranty service. I thought they would celan her up real good and send her back in a month or two. Well, today, I have a package from Leatherman. They said they replaced the tool with a brand new Supertool 300 with sheath.

So, if you need a good multi-tool give them a try. They have a 25 year warranty on all of their tools.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I hear from those that carry multi-tools that they later wonder how they got through everyday life without them. I've never owned nor carried one.

Can someone school me on these Leatherman tools? What models do you like? And why?

Big Country

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Downtown
    Leatherman

I own several (~5) Leatherman Tools. My everyday favorite is the Skeletool CX. It is sized right for the professional but can do all of the tasks of the bigger brothers (i.e. Supertool). The blades are sharp, pliers are strong, screwdrivers do not break, and they seem impervious to everything including owner's stupidity. (I cut a live 110v wire once with the Supertool):rockwoot:

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    esrice, I am not sure how I would survive without one anyway. I have an extra sitting around, maybe we should do a pass-around?

Any interest?

fst aslp

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Zionsville, IN
    I have two of them currently and love them. I snapped the screwdriver on one of them. Is this likely to be covered by warranty?

Both are supertool 200's and both slice paper and have never been sharpened. I don't know much about knives and good blades, but these have served me well.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I've owned a Core and a Surge (the compact models just don't do it for me) and there isn't much I can't fix with 'em. Being a maintenance man by trade means they're a real life saver for me. I've never done their warranty thing, since after a year or two I've snapped all the tools (through abuse, not from a flimsy product) and get a new one.

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    I had a Wave and broke the thing on the blade that keeps it from opening past 90 degrees and called them to ask if they sold parts, they said no but to send it in as it was covered by a 25 year warranty, in less than a week I had a new model wave with the locking tools, and a new case, no charge. I have heard bad things about their corporate attitude toward gun control, but you certainly cant question theur warranty and customer service

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I have a wave I have used for years. I also have a SOG, Gerber and a Victorinox. All good tools. Once you start using one, you will wonder how you ever did without one.

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    esrice, I am thinking we have a group of 10 people that can use the Leatherman for 10 days, then send it on to the next guy on the list. All that I ask is that the tool is returned to me at the end of the last person. We can do a seperate thread or whatever, and have people give their feedback after they have used it.

Sound good?

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    Sure does. Go ahead and start a fresh thread for this here in the Cutting Edge forum.

Do I get the first shot at it? :D

well,ok:D

I will start a new thread after I get the little monster (mydaughter) to bed. Check back in ten:ingo:

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I started out with an original leatherman. Found it hard on the hands, and the lock system was a joke. Got a wave some time later and love it. The original is in my fire gear. The wave is always on my side. The cases are another story I have been through 4 on the wave and the one in my fire gear is in a pocket sans case.

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    Not to turn this into a Tim Leatherman and his politics, it is kind of funny that he is showing soon to be released models at the SHOT show right now, specifically for the shooting community:n00b::):

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    Man I lucked out two days ago.. I was at Dick's in Greenwood, checking out the shooting supplies and knives. I looked over at their multi-tools and there was ONE Leatherman Wave new in package for $9.95...!!!! Of course I thought it was mislabeled but it was Not.. I of course bought and walked out with a smile...

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I have two of them currently and love them. I snapped the screwdriver on one of them. Is this likely to be covered by warranty?

Should be, their tools carry a 25 year warranty and I've sent a couple in for repair over the years. They are a bit slow but they will fix it.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Man I lucked out two days ago.. I was at Dick's in Greenwood, checking out the shooting supplies and knives. I looked over at their multi-tools and there was ONE Leatherman Wave new in package for $9.95...!!!! Of course I thought it was mislabeled but it was Not.. I of course bought and walked out with a smile...
    Wow, I think mine was like $70 or something.

Then I lost it in the house somewhere and replaced it with the inferior Gerber Suspension. :xmad:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom