• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    What is the best way to find hunting land to lease? My dad and I would like to try turkey and deer hunting this year but unsure if random sights on the web are the best route to go.

VanillaThunder

Shooter
    Rating - 94.5%
    52   3   0
    Aug 13, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    do you have an aversion to hunting public land? that may be the way to go, especially if you are trying something new. whatever you do, do it safely, and enjoy the time in the woods with your dad. that is most important.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I haven't had very good luck with that, I've tried ads in Indiana Auto & RV, Peddlers Post and several local newspapers . I've found that using a plat book and knocking on doors works the best.

^^^^^This is best...

or use one of the many public hunting lands our state has. Depending on where you live there are some that are lightly to rarely used.

KRBushee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Wells County
    Knocking on doors is the best way to go in my opinion. Be polite and explain what kind of hunting you plan on doing, also explain how you plan to hunt. Another must when asking, is make sure if there are certain times that the land owner does not want you to hunt. Don't get discouraged if they say no, some people just don't like hunting, or they may have family members that hunt their ground. I have found that a lot of farmers also want you to park close to the road and walk to your spot, this helps them know who is there by the vehicle that you drive.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    do you have an aversion to hunting public land? that may be the way to go, especially if you are trying something new. whatever you do, do it safely, and enjoy the time in the woods with your dad. that is most important.

Here ya go.

Only thing better than owning it, is having the free use of it.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Thanks everyone, these are some great ideas. I live around the Indy area, my dad by Lake Monroe. I am not against trying public land. Having never hunted before, I just imagined the chances of getting shot myself would be far higher with the growth in the sport. Mini-14 suggested I look at Greene-Sullivan State Forest.

My dad has live din Bloomington his whole life so I assume he knows some people would could ask.

What public places are not so crowded? I am not against driving to find one.

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    I also found that Money talks and BS walks! That farmer pays taxes, repairs fences, maintains roads and trails. $20 can grease the wheels of progress. And doing a few chores in the off season can greatly improve relations. Field King and I helped a farmer with a tractor tire and I gave him $20 for letting us bird hunt. He invited us back and gave me a quart of homemade applebutter!

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I also found that Money talks and BS walks! That farmer pays taxes, repairs fences, maintains roads and trails. $20 can grease the wheels of progress. And doing a few chores in the off season can greatly improve relations. Field King and I helped a farmer with a tractor tire and I gave him $20 for letting us bird hunt. He invited us back and gave me a quart of homemade applebutter!

yum, applebutter. :)

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Thanks everyone, these are some great ideas. I live around the Indy area, my dad by Lake Monroe. I am not against trying public land. Having never hunted before, I just imagined the chances of getting shot myself would be far higher with the growth in the sport. Mini-14 suggested I look at Greene-Sullivan State Forest.

My dad has live din Bloomington his whole life so I assume he knows some people would could ask.

What public places are not so crowded? I am not against driving to find one.

The only things I have heard about Sullivan Greene is that is really crowded (can this happen??? lmao)

I'll find the one I am thinking of and get back with ya, I spent all day drinking green beer and my head hurts too much to think.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I noticed some signs in my area last year for land lease; it was located between Sullivan and Hymera on the back roads. This land is also close to Minnehaha Fish and Wildlife area, another area you might look into (located in Sullivan county).

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'm from the wrong part of the state (northwest) but I can offer some advice from the other side of the coin. We own about 500 acres of prime river bottom ground (spectacular deer hunting) and have people approach us all the time. While we don't let anybody hunt deer except close friends and family, here are a couple of pointers.

1. Ask at "other" times of the year. By this I mean don't go knocking a month before hunting season and expect results. I bet 95% of the people who ask me to hunt do it after the middle of august. This gets old. Try it a different time of the year.

2. Offer to help out and mean it. If you show up in the spring and offer to work for the farmer/landowner in exchange for hunting rights, he may well take you up on it. Just make sure you show up when you say you will and you actually work when you show up.

3. If and only if they turn down your offer to work offer them cash. Many times an extra hand around means more than extra cash in the pocket. This goes along with number one also as if you do work out a price, you have all spring and summer to pay him!

4. When and if you do get permission, realize that it doesn't stop there. Make sure you keep the farmer in the loop. Give him the description of every vehicle you will be driving. Give him the location of every deer stand you hang. Sign a waiver stating that if you get hurt while on his property he will not be held liable (I believe these can be found in DNR rules/regulations book). Get to know the farmer personally and make your face a regular sight. He knows more about his farm and how his deer herd moves than you probably ever will. Get close to him and he might share some tricks or some good spots. Last but not least, if you are successfull offer him some meat. If he turns down the meat offer him some jerky, etc etc. Even if he denies he will probably get a sense of pride or a chance to brag about the big buck you shot to his buddies at the coffee shop!

I hope this helps, just remember to have fun be safe and enjoy every minute in the woods with your dad!

KRBushee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Wells County
    When and if you do get permission, realize that it doesn't stop there. Make sure you keep the farmer in the loop. Give him the description of every vehicle you will be driving. Give him the location of every deer stand you hang. Sign a waiver stating that if you get hurt while on his property he will not be held liable (I believe these can be found in DNR rules/regulations book). Get to know the farmer personally and make your face a regular sight. He knows more about his farm and how his deer herd moves than you probably ever will. Get close to him and he might share some tricks or some good spots. Last but not least, if you are successfull offer him some meat. If he turns down the meat offer him some jerky, etc etc. Even if he denies he will probably get a sense of pride or a chance to brag about the big buck you shot to his buddies at the coffee shop!

Slim you sound just like the farmers in Northeast Indiana, and I for one have never had one turn down any kind of help. I also like the idea of signing a waiver for injury liability, after all if you get hurt hunting, it is not their fault. I also know how much they enjoy a cup of coffee and a doughnut, during planting season. Or a good cold ice tea in the heat of the summer. I used to hunt this farmer's woods during squirrel season from August 15 till the second weekend in September, after that it was off limits, because his family were big deer hunters. Now one of his grandsons is farming the land, and he is a really nice man, but he would preffer that I didn't hunt there anymore, so I don't. But he sure does like a cup of coffee when I stop and BS with him once and awhile.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Thanks everyone. I told my dad what you guys said and he approached a guy who he had rented a stable from back when my niece had a horse. The guy owns 250 acres of land west of Bloomington and said that since my dad and I could hunt there this year...no worries. He said my dad did so many extras for him on the stables when he rented from him it would be no problems. My dad offered to help him with any chores around the land and he said possibly in the future but to have fun this year. We plan on getting all of the paperwork signed to release him from liability and a heads up on cars, when we will be there. Thanks everyone for your help!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom