Learning to drive a stick shift should be required....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TRL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Hendricks Co.
    i'll never forget having learning permit and my dad letting me drive and staling his ranger several times in the middle of town and finally dumping the clutch at the same time giving it a bit to much gas and smoking the tires across the intercetion, i looked over and see him slouching down in the seat :)

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    My next vehicle will probably be a manual. The money I save by not going auto can go into another upgrade in the vehicle.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    Some semi's are automatics now. Some people that go through the cdl mills only drive the automatics so that they can pass the test and get their cdl's and still don't know how to drive a manual. I was put in a different semi everyday and had to learn how to shift that gear transmission. Now I have shifted every transmission from an eight speed to an eighteen speed.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Isn't there a restriction on CDLs that limits you to automatics if you tested on an automatic?
    I learned and tested on a manual, but I thought I heard that somewhere.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Glad Dad taught me how to drive a manual. When stationed overseas, manuals were everywhere. Amazing how few Americans can drive a stick.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I learned to drive on a 48 Willys jeep in a pasture. Also rode 3 and 4 wheelers and then the tractors around 8 years old. Being on a farm stick shift was a requirement.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If I didnt have traffic to deal with a 5/6 speed would be nice.

I also grew up on dirtbikes and quads and got a Ranger after my car got stolen. I went with a 5 speed due to the cost.

The night before buying the truck I went with my brother and his now wife to a meijer parking lot for a crash course. I just started/stopped and backed up a few times and that was it. Riding dirtbikes and quads gave me the concept of what to do. After that I tore the truck up and blew the motor some how. You would think at 36K it would have lasted longer.

I did teach my wife while in Mexico to drive a rental Jeep with a 5speed. Now that was funny. It was like a roller coaster..... everyone was laughing as we bounced around without hydros or airbags....LOL

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I absolutely HATE automatic transmissions... and refuse to own one.

I was never given real manual lessons... When I was 19, my father drove me to Illinois to pick up an 89 Mustang GT. He did the test driving and gave me the nod that it was good to go. I handed over the cash and got the keys. My father simply said "Good luck getting home" and drove off away in his truck.

By the time I made the 300+ mile journey back, I had it down pat. ;)

LOL!

I would have been nervous as hell...I learned in an empty parking lot.

(BTW, I've always owned automatics, but could pass a driving test...I still hate stopping on hills when a car is behind me)

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    My first manual was a VW Squareback. (stationwagon) My friend took me to look at it, I bought it, she drove it home for me, then taught me how to drive it. (Boy! I wish I had that car back!!)

I had a Geo Metro (3 speed) when I was driving simi's and nearly broke my arm and the gear shift when I left the truck and got into that little car!

Now, I have an automatic GMC truck and a Saturn 5 speed. The Saturn is great on gas (and speed), but it's so tiny inside that this old/fat body complains every time I drive it. (Climbing in and out of a "hole".) ALL kinds of SPACE in the truck! :rockwoot:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    i learned in my friends s10 for about 10 minutes if that. when i took a job at lowes in delivery i had to take a road test for lowes and of course they are all sticks. i later decided to have a car that was a stick.... ive now had 3 sticks... the M5 being the best of the 3 ive had :) all that power in a 4 door with a stick... LOVE IT.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I don't support any "common sense" driving laws including training to drive a car....oh wait that's right, drivings not a right; wrong discussion.

I've driven a stick shift car since I had my license, my girlfriend doesn't and refuses to learn because those that attempted to teach her weren't all that good at it; her not knowing does give me concern that if something were to happen to me if we drove somewhere that she would be stuck and unable to drive to get help. That has made it feel like more of a liability in recent years. But, better mpg, a little more fun, fewer parts to break, and thanks to stop and go traffic, unbelievable calf muscles.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    We made it mandatory for our kids. If they wanted to get their license they had to be able to drive our manual truck. Not a problem for our son who had been driving since he could reach the peddles. Our daughter on the other hand gripped a lot but we didn't budge. She learned to drive our old manual truck with real sloppy linkage...I know not exactly fair. She now drives semi's and any tractor on the place. :D.

Top Bottom