Learning to drive a stick shift should be required....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    to get a license. I never learned to shift anything until 2009. I took a motorcycle class so I could get my motorcycle license (thought I would be getting a motorcycle). It wasn't until last year I drove a manual on a car lot and yesterday I actually drove a stick shift on the rode. Other then a few time starting out in 3rd (starts really slow acceleration), a few roll backs on hills because I am not used to clutching, and some jerking, but no gear grinding.

Now I would like to drive a car that is a stick shift (maybe a fast car, hehe).

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Most cars are automatic, so it really shouldn't be required (but it certainly helps to know). I learned how to drive a stick working as a construction inspector in Chicago, the work truck was a stick. I drove around with my boss telling me how to shift for 5 minutes, then they told me to go to work (rush hour of course). It was awesome.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I grew up around four wheelers and dirtbikes, so I had the concept down, just had to move the thoughts around (clutch is on foot, not hand, etc.)...

Yes, it should be a requirement to obtain a DL.

Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    My current vehicle, and my last vehicle were manual transmissions. They're tough to find, unfortunately. There are certainly times that it isn't fun (traffic!!!), but I do love choosing my own gears, downshifting before corners, etc. Typically, if the vehicle I'm shopping for is/was available in a stick, I hunt one down. :D

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    My ex has been driving a stick for over 30 years. When one of my daughters asked her why she hadn't switched over to an automatic, she said that with a stick she doesn't worry about her car being stolen. :dunno:

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    I learned to drive with a stick. '64 Corvair and a '70 GTO. My parents bought the GTO new. "Breaking traction Officer? I'm sorry, I'm just learning"

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Pops bought a stickshift.
    I just started driving and my POS was dead.
    Got the keys and taught myself in about 15 mins (killed it twice).
    My next car had a 400 and 4 speed :)

Heck, if my Jeep's transmission goes, I might make it a stick shift.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I've only learned on a truck(semi tractor) it's not exactly the same, but the basics are there.

I basically stopped needing the clutch after a month. Floating is easier than double clutching.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I learned in a 57 willys pickup 4cyl 3spd in the woods of western NY state. I was 12. Im 34 now. Family still has 3 of em. They dont build em like they used to!

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I absolutely HATE automatic transmissions... and refuse to own one.

I was never given real manual lessons... When I was 19, my father drove me to Illinois to pick up an 89 Mustang GT. He did the test driving and gave me the nod that it was good to go. I handed over the cash and got the keys. My father simply said "Good luck getting home" and drove off away in his truck.

By the time I made the 300+ mile journey back, I had it down pat. ;)

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    I learned in a friends Honda Civic in highschool, in the rain. Only killed it once. Ten or so years later, took the ABATE motorcycle course to get my M on my license and a motorcycle. :D
    I would like to learn to drive a semi (grew up with them on the driveway).

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Some cars and trucks just scream for a stick shift. The little fast tight cornering ones like the VW GTI, and the toyota MR2 ect. Trucks like any true off road truck.

Now they have the push botton clutchless shifters or slap shifters and they are much quicker on the shift than any pedal shifters. (Thanks F1 racing) . You get the best of both worlds with the touch of a botton. Auto for mom and going to the store and the push botton for ME.

Some trucks should have only come in auto. My old chevy had the 3 speed and it was just a pain in the butt to drive around much,

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I hate manual transmissions. If I've got to worry about shifting how am I going to eat, properly pull off drive-by shootings, or man handle myself? I definitely won't be able to do 2 of the 3 at the same time.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    My first vehicle was a 68 Chevy pick up with a 3 speed on the column. I didn't have anybody to show me how to drive it really, I just learned on my own. My F150 is a stick, wouldn't trade it for automatic.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Stick shifts are great for track use (see username-it was an auto), but a good auto is great for daily commuting, too. My truck is an auto and a stick shift would be fine but near as practical. I have driven my car in rush hour and you will learn to leave it in neutral until its time to move. With the clutch I have it is brutal on the left calf, but holds up to the power abuse it gets.

Not sure it should be mandatory, though. Not as many manuals left. If the desire is there they will find a way to learn. I learned most by watching-then I was able to take off in dads car at night.

Top Bottom