• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    The wife and I got our basic and advanced open water certs years ago from Midwest Scuba, now located in Avon, IN. The owner Tom, and his various divemasters were great. Took my gear there for several years for regular service.

A little over a year ago we took a trip with Divers Supply Indy and had a fantastic time. The trip host, Mark Philips, is one of their main dive instructors. We were able to also get our Night and Deep certs while on the trip. They have a huge new store on the east side of Indy off Post Rd... and it is next door to Family Indoor Shooting Range (formerly Pop Guns) should you want to make it a full shopping trip... though I admit I haven't been back since it changed hands. Divers Supply Indy also has a smaller, northeast location off 86th near Zionsville Rd, but haven't been to it for a while.

As if firearms weren't an expensive enough hobby... scuba has its own appeal for gear/gadget/tech lovers.

OIIIIIO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    I'm not certain, but you might be able to do all your classroom stuff online, then finish your water work down in Florida.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County

Scarecrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Grissom
    If you are on Facebook, we have a diving group called Indiana Scuba Divers. All your questions can be answered there. If you have trouble finding it, just PM me.

Scarecrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Grissom
    This is from the Indiana SCUBA Divers Facebook page:

Hey all! If you are around the greater Lafayette area (or surrounding areas), you should check out the new Greater Lafayette Dive Club! We are assimilating a new club for divers in, and around the area and would love to get the word out! Please help us do this!

Our next meeting is Tuesday, April 16th, but the location is TBA, so do a search for our Facebook group so you can stay informed!

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    Divers Supply Indy/ has always treated me well. They offer great diving classes. I haven't been there in four years though.

Another vote for Divers Supply Indy.

I took both my Advanced Open Water cert and Rescue/Safety Diver cert with them a number of years ago through IUPUI. Stubby is a fantastic teacher. Hoping to go for my Divemaster cert soon.

I'd skip the Snuba also. I just wouldn't trust it. Also, find yourself a disposable underwater camera to use, as what you'll experience is something you never want to forget.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You guys don't trusf the operators for snuba, yet you trust them to charge your air tanks?
    And I think the OP had a thread about the go pro camera, so probably don't need the disposable camera.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You guys don't trusf the operators for snuba, yet you trust them to charge your air tanks?
    And I think the OP had a thread about the go pro camera, so probably don't need the disposable camera.

Yep, I've got a GoPro so I'll have video. I don't have time to do a scuba cert before I leave and we'll only be at each port for 8-12 hours. Not going to spend my vacation time in the Bahamas, Coco Cay, and Key West in a class room. I figure if I really like the snuba, I'll take scuba classes later and have the cert for any future vacations. Also, I don't do the facebook thing.

25mux

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    Anderson, IN
    I help run a dive training company. We do both public safety and recreational scuba classes and we are based out of Crawfordsville. You can check out our website at
    Huber Dive Services
    Let me know what you think, and as the business manager, I can get you an INGO discount.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    You say that you aren't a very good swimmer. If I were in your shoes, I'd first take swimming lessons, so you are comfortable in the water. It may preclude panic setting in when something goes wrong. Follow that up with PADI training.

Top Bottom