• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm going snuba diving in Key West in a few weeks. I've been snorkeling several times but never scuba. I'm not a very good swimmer and I'm thinking scrubs would be more relaxing than snorkeling since I'll have an air source. I'm thinking it would be nice to get a certification for any future vacations so I can dive. If I like the snuba, I'm thinking of taking scuba classes. Where's the best place to take them in Indiana?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I got certified at a YMCA but they stopped offering it. Does Purdue offer a course? You could fund a 529 for yourself and take the class tax free while getting free software to boot!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Skip the snuba, get open water certified and go to pennekamp. I helped sink the Spiegel Grove! (O.k., so I only wrote a check to help fund the prep work but that counts for something!)

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    My daughter and son-in-law did their prep work at the Y and arranged their open water dive in the Bahamas. Worked out well for them. Can't believe the Y stopped doing that. WTH?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I got my initial PADI cert from Diver's Supply Indy, but I'm sure there has to be someone doing certification in Lafayette. If not, Diver's Supply did a good job.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I would NOT suggest Indy Scuba. That's where I got my open water certification done. All he really cared about was getting us through as quickly as possible. I did not feel prepared to go diving with out a divemaster after taking open water classes from him.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Lafayette. I saw Indy Scuba's website and the classes they offer. Indy would not be too far.

There is a dive shop in the strip mall where Home Depot is. It's in the corner between the Pet's Plus and Jo Ann fabrics. I stopped in one day. They seem like nice people.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    There is a shop, Indy MPH. They teach SDI now. That may be another alternative. My suggestion is to find a local dive shop in Florida, do the classroom and pool work down there. Then, do the check out dives and you are good to go. I can't handle the cold waters of the quarries around here anymore. You can choose SDI, PADI and NAUI for your cert. My experience is that PADI and NAUI are very similar.. NAUI was and may still be non profit if you like that sort of thing.
    Look into a DAN membership for your medical and travel insurance needs.
    I got my cert, NAUI, just north of Marathon FL in Islamorada with Tilden's Scuba Center. I highly recommend that shop; although, that was some time ago...

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I never heard of it before... :scratch:

BD01A674-DA0C-48CA-91E4-536440C25DCB-7868-000005D31612EC85_zps47458c85.jpg

It's what they do on "bearing sea gold"

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    SNUBA is a form of underwater diving in which your air is supplied from the surface. You will dive with a hose attached to a standard regulator.

Basically the same as SCUBA but no tank on your back.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    BD01A674-DA0C-48CA-91E4-536440C25DCB-7868-000005D31612EC85_zps47458c85.jpg

It's what they do on "bearing sea gold"

SNUBA is a form of underwater diving in which your air is supplied from the surface. You will dive with a hose attached to a standard regulator.

Basically the same as SCUBA but no tank on your back.

Ah...learn something new everyday. Seems like scuba would be more fun so you would not have to worry about the tube getting hung up on something

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ah...learn something new everyday. Seems like scuba would be more fun so you would not have to worry about the tube getting hung up on something

SCUBA is the best IMO. But for someone going on a cruise or a resort type vacation, it is like snorkeling only you don't have to resurface for air. Plus you don't have to be certified.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    SCUBA is the best IMO. But for someone going on a cruise or a resort type vacation, it is like snorkeling only you don't have to resurface for air. Plus you don't have to be certified.

Lot of trust in those in control topside

Top Bottom