• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    Today I went to the range. Im still fairly new to guns and only fired maybe 500 rounds total. Today I encountered my first failure. Failure to extract. After about 5 rounds I pulled the trigger and nothing. Slide was locked back and I tthought thought to myself, that wasn't an entire mag. I look, one casing jammed in the barrel another in the mag feeding into the casing.

This leads me to my lesson. I realized I didnt really know what to do. I know I needed to rack the slide but it wouldnt rack or eject. Then I realized I needed to drop the mag and rack. Guess I need to brush up on failures and how to deal with them incase one happens in the event I need my firearm

Last edited:

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Always stop and think. With firearm remaining pointed downrange of course. Even if that means sitting the firearm down on the shooting bench (pointing downrange) and taking a step back to think. My wife had the same issue several times when she first started shooting. Now she clears them like a boss.

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    I kept it pointed downrange. Just initially couldn't remember and couldn't figure out why the slide wouldnt rack.

First failure in 500 rounds on my m&p. And it was wwb. So im not too disapointed

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Cartridges fail and hammers strike light too. Im not gonna say "just sayin"

We all see your point, but Everyone knows the pros and cons of revolvers vs semi-autos.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    In this type of failure, I don't believe ammo brand would have much to do with it. For one reason or another, your extractor didn't grab the spent casing like it should have. The only ammo related problem I could think of is that maybe the shell bulged more than it should have, making it difficult to extract. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    In this type of failure, I don't believe ammo brand would have much to do with it. For one reason or another, your extractor didn't grab the spent casing like it should have. The only ammo related problem I could think of is that maybe the shell bulged more than it should have, making it difficult to extract. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

The casing was pushed up the feed ramp and sort of lodged in the barrel. My initial reaction was why isnt it firing.

Even when I racked after dropping the mag the casing didnt eject normally. Instead it just dropped out of the mag well

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    #6 can't fire if #5 doesn't clear.

Ok, I'm done messing with you . I'm a noob-ish shooter also. Good for us for getting on board and for practicing with our firearms, whatever they happen to be. :yesway:

Last edited:

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    Ok, I'm done messing with you . I'm a noob-ish shooter also. Good for us for getting on board and for practicing with our firearms, whatever they happen to be. :yesway:

I watched hundreds of hours of videos be for I even purchased. But that only gets you so far. Plus I like to gradually work on my aim. Im not shooting pretty tight groups at 10 yards :) next step is 15 yards.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    The casing was pushed up the feed ramp and sort of lodged in the barrel. My initial reaction was why isnt it firing.

Even when I racked after dropping the mag the casing didnt eject normally. Instead it just dropped out of the mag well

Ok. So it was kind of a weirdish stovepipe. Maybe you just limp wristed it and you don't have to blame the gun.

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    It didnt even partially eject. I think the slide came back and a round came up and when the slide went for wE ut jammed the casing in there

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    You need to explain the situation alittle better in order for us to help. On the surface, it sounds like a limp-wrist situation. But Explain further, and we will try to help.

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    I cleared it. After about 5 rounds the slide locked back. I first racked it with the magazine in and it didnt clean the casing which was pushed up into the barrel slightly. I dropped the mag out racked it a couple times while slightly tilting and the casing fell through the bottom. No worries. Just the fact that if that happened in a threatening situation I would have been left standing there bewildered for about 30 seconds before figuring out I have a failure and how to clear it.

Just had to learn from experience if it ever happens again

dcat91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Paradise
    Good job on actually going out there and practicing. Imo failure drills are the number one overlooked of firearms training, instead people tend to focus on drawing and trigger manipulation.

When I first got into the self defense side of shooting versus target shooting I also overlooked it untill I had a malfunction like yourself, all you can do is traintraintrain! I used to throw snapcaps in mags randomly so as to practice a ftf. Youtube videos and such are helpful but not a substitute for actual training but they're better than nothing and you can get some neat ideas from guys, just don't take anything as gospel

Top Bottom