Learn me some stuff about High Point Pistols...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    The first 9 mm pistol I owned was a HP C9. It was a positive experience for me. And I liked it that it was made in Ohio and had a no-questions life-time warranty. What better way to get started / try out the center fire pistol world for not much money?

My C9 never malfunctioned in the two years I owned / shot it, so I never had to send it in for warranty work. It was too heavy for me to carry, but I did trust it for car and home defense. Several hundred rounds with no malfunctions = worthy of trust from me. And it was a nice plinker for range time too. For $100, I'd go for it.

Last edited:

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Owned a Hi Point handgun. Hated it. Sent it back 3 times to factory and it never worked right. Same thing with a buddy who had one. I have known people that haven't had any problems with them and really enjoy them. I am not one of them. You will find that people either love them or hate them.

Now a Hi Point carbine is a horse of a different color.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I wouldn't go that far, marv.. that's like saying all wheelguns are the same!

One thing about HiPoint that makes me chuckle (again, my wife's favorite shooter, I'm not bashing) is that they don't try. The rest of the guns on your list at least sorta-kinda attempt to be little and easy to carry. HiPoint? Nah - it looks like a phaser. They're big and clunky. Doesn't make them bad, just a fact. The .380 is basically the same size as the 9mm, not a micro version like the LCR vs LC9 or similar. All that mass does help with recoil a little though!

I wasn't trying to say they are all alike. I was saying they are ALL ugly.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Ive had one of the .40S&W and currently have one of the 9mm pistols, and have not had any trouble at all out of either. But you'll get guys that hate them and guys that own them. I consider them a range gun, I wouldnt carry them but there alot of fun to plink around with at the range.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Cant say anything about their handguns, seems they have a bad "junk and gangster" reputation.
    I can say that several years ago I owned one of the 9mm rifles/carbines. It was a great gun, accurate and functioned flawless.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I wasn't trying to say they are all alike. I was saying they are ALL ugly.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and while I don't know that I'd consider any poly gun "pretty", there are certainly some that look nicer than others! HiPoint, yeah, not so much.. in my mind, they're right up there with fat chix and mopeds :D

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I had the JHP .45acp one for a while, and it was a big, heavy, ugly turd of a gun, but it was accurate, would eat any .45 you could feed it, and functioned well, as long as you cleaned it. Elitists will tell you they are junk, having never even shot one. Their pricetag gives them a bum rap! They are actually quite simple in construction, thus, fairly reliable. When I got the one I had, I researched them, and found more bad reviews for the 9mm than the .40 or the .45. The way I see it, If the price is right, and it'll go bang, I'll almost always buy it!

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Let me put it this way, I love mine and have not had the first hiccup in over 1500 rounds except with a box of steal cased ammo. If you don't buy it let me know where it's at and I will. They are far from the prettiest gun around but they are very accurate and reliable. Most naysayers you'll find have never even fired one let alone own one.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    You'll want the CX4 clone stock for it then! I shot a buddies, and with a proper cheek weld, it feels like a full on smack in the face, every time you fire it! (That's with their factory "Tactical" stock)

Where do you find that stock?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I wouldn't go that far, marv.. that's like saying all wheelguns are the same!

One thing about HiPoint that makes me chuckle (again, my wife's favorite shooter, I'm not bashing) is that they don't try. The rest of the guns on your list at least sorta-kinda attempt to be little and easy to carry. HiPoint? Nah - it looks like a phaser. They're big and clunky. Doesn't make them bad, just a fact. The .380 is basically the same size as the 9mm, not a micro version like the LCR vs LC9 or similar. All that mass does help with recoil a little though!

That mass is a technical necessity since they are straight blowback.

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    I just fired a 9mm high point about a week ago.
    Pros:
    Cheap ( was bought for $150 )
    Went bang with every trigger pull
    Not terribly heavy
    Hole is made in target with every bullet

Cons:
    Feels cheap
    Sights were off, at 7 yards all rounds were landing about 4-5 inches right. ( confirmed by three different shooters )

For $150 not bad I guess. Not a handgun I would own myself.

Cowboy 44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    if your on a super tight budget and want something to plink around with it would be an ok choice.

i wouldnt not by any means trust my life to one.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    I didn't make it through 6 pages, so forgive me if this has been discussed already.

I've put over 500 rounds through my Hi-Point. FTE was a problem. The mags are definitely the weak point in the system. My 9mm will feed 5 rounds smoothly and reliably, but if you try to cram a 6th cartridge into the stack, it nosedives into the feed ramp. Every. Time. I polished the feed ramp, it only helped marginally. I've read a lot about tweaking the lips of the mag, as well as cutting down the spring. I'm going to order a few extras before I start hacking up my only mag.

Very nice people to deal with, they sent me a new rear sight free of charge when I told them I dropped the gun and broke it.

When it was cycling smoothly, it was a pretty accurate gun out to 40 yards. For $100 new back in 2000, I think I did alright.

bmyers

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    They function properly and reasonably reliably and have excellent support from the manufacturer. That being said they handle and are made like a $100 gun for the most part. Still, like all guns they are only going up in value.

Top Bottom