• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Like I said, I think things are organically going to move to limiting it to a circumstance most people will find tolerable. We've lived under the most extreme and radical pro-abortion laws since 1973, and most people in this country don't agree with all the conditions it permits.

When and if Roe v Wade is overturned, I think we'll end up with a vastly more moderate policy on abortion in most of the country. And as time goes on, and education improves, it will likely reign its self in due to public wishes alone.

I don't think most people would watch that clip and say that isn't a human being.
    If an aborted baby is just a clump of cells, why don’t we see the videos and photos on the b-rolls on the news when the pro-aborts are talking about necessary medical procedures for women, etc? We don’t because if we did, if we showed the aftermath of abortions, they would be (if we have any sense of humanity) outlawed in days rather than generations.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    See, the truth is the only point where we can definitively say a person is not a person is when it’s not a person—when egg and sperm have not met yet, so to speak. Everything else is subjective, shades of grey.
    I don,t think so. I mean. I'm willing to go down to 8 weeks. Fertilized egg isn't really much yet.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This is pretty much what I was saying when I used the phrase "relying on a simple evolutionary sense of morality sans religion" Which means that non-believers don't believe in religion as a necessary equation.
    For this non-believer, I think I have a hard time saying necessary. It's something we have to think a bit harder about than just saying, "God is dead, therefore abolish all religious constructs from societal institutions." I guess that's why I draw a distinction between "Atheists" and what I am. I share many beliefs with them, like not believing in religion, though I'd say I'm not without a sense of that which I find sacred. But primarily the people who I tend to call Atheists in certain company are people who are not religious and are assholes about it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don,t think so. I mean. I'm willing to go down to 8 weeks. Fertilized egg isn't really much yet.
    The difference is time, location, and stage of development. It’s a human being in all other factors. Your willingness to admit what is worthy of being treated as a human and what is not is arbitrary opinion. The next guy’s opinion is just as valid based on his/her reasons. That does not make any of them not based true. The conception argument is objective.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If an aborted baby is just a clump of cells, why don’t we see the videos and photos on the b-rolls on the news when the pro-aborts are talking about necessary medical procedures for women, etc? We don’t because if we did, if we showed the aftermath of abortions, they would be (if we have any sense of humanity) outlawed in days rather than generations.
    That's a fair point. When it looks kinda like a baby it's pretty hard to claim it's just a clump of cells. I mean. I don't think a lot of people who use that are being intellectually honest about it. But, is it complete enough that it's the same as any other human? I think it's also hard to claim it is for the same reasons.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The difference is time, location, and stage of development. It’s a human being in all other factors. Your willingness to admit what is worthy of being treated as a human and what is not is arbitrary opinion. The next guy’s opinion is just as valid based on his/her reasons. That does not make any of them not based true. The conception argument is objective.
    But that's pretty much the whole ball of wax isn't it? Isn't that the thing that everyone is arguing about? The time, location, and stage of development? You guys are pretty sure that you're right. I dunno. Maybe someday, technology will make that more obvious. But it's not obvious now, at least to most people. And there's also a likelihood that you'll never be proven right about it. It may be that it isn't really anything but tissue developing into the form of a baby, until a later point.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That's a fair point. When it looks kinda like a baby it's pretty hard to claim it's just a clump of cells. I mean. I don't think a lot of people who use that are being intellectually honest about it. But, is it complete enough that it's the same as any other human? I think it's also hard to claim it is for the same reasons.
    Let’s do a though experiment with this line of reasoning, if applied to born people. If a non-complete born person, someone with a mental deficiency or maybe someone that cannot live by him/herself could be killed, would that be ok? Or is it because we can’t hear a baby scream while it is burned alive or torn apart in the womb that makes a difference? Somehow, I have a feeling being able to see the person’s face or see it writhe in pain or attempt to recoil from the assault as you’re killing it might have a bearing on things.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Let’s do a though experiment with this line of reasoning, if applied to born people. If a non-complete born person, someone with a mental deficiency or maybe someone that cannot live by him/herself could be killed, would that be ok? Or is it because we can’t hear a baby scream while it is burned alive or torn apart in the womb that makes a difference? Somehow, I have a feeling being able to see the person’s face or see it writhe in pain or attempt to recoil from the assault as you’re killing it might have a bearing on things.
    I think the mental or physical deficiency argument was had many pages ago. And as far as the process goes, a fetus can't feel pain until something like the 20th week or so. At least as far as we know. But honestly I am getting kinda tired of this part of the argument. Because no one is changing anyone's mind. It's like people on your side of the argument are constantly looking for information that makes it more obvious that a zygote is morally equal to any other human at any other stage and it's really not. You've probably made up your mind before you saw any of those videos. And I'm not disparaging that. But I think it's worth acknowledging all the things that are true about a thing along with all the things that aren't, that you know of.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    For this non-believer, I think I have a hard time saying necessary. It's something we have to think a bit harder about than just saying, "God is dead, therefore abolish all religious constructs from societal institutions." I guess that's why I draw a distinction between "Atheists" and what I am. I share many beliefs with them, like not believing in religion, though I'd say I'm not without a sense of that which I find sacred. But primarily the people who I tend to call Atheists in certain company are people who are not religious and are assholes about it.
    Fair enough. Perhaps I should’ve drawn the distinction as well. It’s obvious that you as a non-believer still believes that religion has played an integral role in the evolution of morality and it should continue to have its place.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Fair enough. Perhaps I should’ve drawn the distinction as well. It’s obvious that you as a non-believer still believes that religion has played an integral role in the evolution of morality and it should continue to have its place.
    Absolutely. I don't think religion always gets it right. But then neither does secular reasoning. There was the dark ages where religion was used by powerful people to subjugate them. Thankfully the printing press kinda brought about some reforms. And secular reasoning brought about Marxim which is still a big problem in the world.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This does seem to be a more mature audience of late.

Thank you to the mods and your ban hammers for not putting up with shenanigans. As distasteful as the subject is, I have appreciated all the calm discourse.

I cant imagine this thread 5 years ago.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Well then you've made a fallacious deductive argument. You haven't finished it. The conclusion needs to follow from the premises. It doesn't.
    Humans have rights. A two cell zygote is human and alive ergo it has rights. Better?
    C'mon man. We've been through this. This isn't the argument I've made. Go read my last post to Chip. Especially the last sections where I'm literally Alynski. :rolleyes:
    He didn't say you were literally Alynski, he said that your argument followed one of the rules he proposed in his writings. And here is what you said.
    "And I've also said that that doesn't matter in terms of what policies you want. If you want abortions banned because you think it's a sin, then you get to vote for the people in service of that. And bat **** crazy people with far left ideologies get to vote for other bat **** crazy people in service of allowing abortions up until the kid is out of high school. Anyway, "at conception" is no more objective than anyone else who might base their morals on something besides religion."
    I thought you were asking a general question about morals. And I answered that one. Your question seemed rhetorical to me. But if you want me to answer. Okay. Yes. Slaves had rights then. It is obvious to me, with the morals that have evolved into what they are, that everyone has human rights. That means people have a right not to be taken against their will into slavery. All humans. It's a moral that wasn't universally accepted then as it is now, at least in the West. So that's timeless and not dependent on what the morals were then. I don't know if that answers your question. But I'm answering the question I think you're asking.

But, it's worth making the point that we can't hold people in judgement by applying today's morals on yesterday's people. They're responsible to the extent that they should have known better, and that's about it.
    Yes it answered my question, but it also is a reverse of your earlier position that rights come from morals, which I don't agree with. I can agree that recognition of rights comes from morals though.

And I can agree with you on judging people based on today's morals.
    You're not the only one to have made this point, and I've been arguing so many points with you guys that I just didn't think it was worth it. But I'm gonna. Because why the **** not.

That's wrong. A zygote contains all the genetic code to form everything that a human will become. It's not yet what a human will become. Therefore it's not everything that a human is. It doesn't have a dick to think with yet. :):
    Well I've heard women are from Venus, but I didn't realize they weren't human. :D But I'll have to disagree, they may not be fully developed but they are still a human. A person isn't fully developed until their 20s. That doesn't make a newborn, even a 20 week preemie not human.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Personally I see the greater number of divorced fathers shun the thought of being a full custody parent.
    I've known/known of a couple. Myself being one, my grandfather being another. Heck my dad was adopted and his adoptive father fought and won full custody from his adoptive mother. Which was unheard of in those days, from what little I know about it he did fight dirty though.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Mornin INGOers! Thanks for keeping the discussion civil and the thread between the ditches. Also thank you @Cameramonkey for the Mod props (see what I did there??)

Edit: Now I remember what I was going to post. Slight sidebar but staying with the subject. What will the Indiana Statehouse in the 2023 session look like if the leaked Alito draft turns out to be the majority opinion?

Top Bottom