• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I think the people who make that argument mean that it can't survive outside the womb if it were removed from the mother. And I think that's a bad argument too. It assumes that the right to live can only be conferred if it's not dependent on the mother for life. I mean that's essentially the parasite argument. And I think that's immoral.
    I agree. To me the determining factor argument in which a human right to life only begins at the point of viability outside the womb misses the mark.

IMO human right to life begins much sooner once the reproductive process has begun at which time there is an individual human right separate from the mother to develop into viability without it being snatched away.

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I think some are still not grasping the boundaries and magnitude of the "persuasion project" The Right is potentially unwrapping here.

The Right has done a pretty good job of running the table at the state level since Obama was President, and built a decent margin because Democrats seemed like the more scary option.

A simple, pat answer to Abortion appeals to a geeky subset of people who believe Truth is something revealed by God. But there's a large (and increasing) number of Americans who believe Truth is something which is reasoned and figured out by humans (and more importantly, who do not necessarily find nuanced arguments to be "unallowable" the way religious people do, especially where one person's bodily autonomy is being balanced with another's).

If the simple, "pat" answer causes a large number of Americans to be terrified of Republicans, it could undo a lot of that progress at the state level.

By example, there's 100 statehouse districts in Indiana, covering about 6.5 million people. That's about 65,000 constituents per Rep, less than 10% the population of Indianapolis.

For the last 50 years, even US Senators didn't handle the abortion issue. It was locked away.

Now, you've suddenly got a situation where local-yokel statehouse candidates, representing areas only the size of 2 or 3 good Indianapolis neighborhoods, have been thrust into situations where they now have to answer the "Rape Question." (The media are NOT going to play fair).

Do you think these guys and gals are ready for this?

Do you think Corporations will just stay neutral on this?

...are you sure?

If we're going to keep these people in office - and convert on the "Power Play" the SC has just handed us - the "Truth is Revealed by God" folks are going to have to give the politicians some room to operate.

There is such a thing as winning a battle, but losing the war. Personally, I would prefer that "Abortion" not be the "last" issue Republicans ever win on.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Several different sites so pick which one you like best.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think some are still not grasping the boundaries and magnitude of the "persuasion project" The Right is potentially unwrapping here.

The Right has done a pretty good job of running the table at the state level since Obama was President, and built a decent margin because Democrats seemed like the more scary option.

A simple, pat answer to Abortion appeals to a geeky subset of people who believe Truth is something revealed by God. But there's a large (and increasing) number of Americans who believe Truth is something which is reasoned and figured out by humans (and more importantly, who do not necessarily find nuanced arguments to be "unallowable" the way religious people do, especially where one person's bodily autonomy is being balanced with another's).

If the simple, "pat" answer causes a large number of Americans to be terrified of Republicans, it could undo a lot of that progress at the state level.

By example, there's 100 statehouse districts in Indiana, covering about 6.5 million people. That's about 65,000 constituents per Rep, less than 10% the population of Indianapolis.

For the last 50 years, even US Senators didn't handle the abortion issue. It was locked away.

Now, you've suddenly got a situation where local-yokel statehouse candidates, representing areas only the size of 2 or 3 good Indianapolis neighborhoods, have been thrust into situations where they now have to answer the "Rape Question." (The media are NOT going to play fair).

Do you think these guys and gals are ready for this?

Do you think Corporations will just stay neutral on this?

...are you sure?

If we're going to keep these people in office - and convert on the "Power Play" the SC has just handed us - the "Truth is Revealed by God" folks are going to have to give the politicians some room to operate.

There is such a thing as winning a battle, but losing the war. Personally, I would prefer that "Abortion" not be the "last" issue Republicans ever win on.
    Man has always had a tendency to be his own god. He can justify any position he wants, any compromise of principles and values. It‘s difficult to stand up for what is right when the whole world is against it. (Oops…there I go pulling Jesus into this conversation).

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Man has always had a tendency to be his own god. He can justify any position he wants, any compromise of principles and values. It‘s difficult to stand up for what is right when the whole world is against it. (Oops…there I go pulling Jesus into this conversation).
    Don't you know that you are supposed to set your principles aside and be more nuanced?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    "Mr. Republican Legislative Candidate, if one of your constituents sitting in the audience tonight found out their daughter was raped and impregnated, do you believe she and her parents should be able to decide - for themselves - if she can kill the SOB in your state?"
    It’s a deflection, but I like it.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    This could fit as easily here as in a discussion on inflation.

Regardless, the comments janet hellen illustrate the evil of centralizers like her and those of her ilk.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    BTW, I will take this as an opportunity to thank the woman who birthed me instead of killing me, whomever she may be.

At the same time, I thank my Mom and Dad for adopting me.

A world without BigRed would be a less pleasant world....though some may have a differing opinion...LOL!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    BTW, I will take this as an opportunity to thank the woman who birthed me instead of killing me, whomever she may be.

At the same time, I thank my Mom and Dad for adopting me.

A world without BigRed would be a less pleasant world....though some may have a differing opinion...LOL!
    Your birth mother was a smart woman for letting somebody else deal with your antics. :lmfao:

Now WE have to deal with you! :faint:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It would seem that only those who wish to deny the inherent right to life of that human being in the zygote stage of development attempt to use extra-scientific means to deny that right. Why might that be? :whistle:

The default state is that all humans are created equal and are endowed with certain, unalienable rights; that among them are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Why would that living human being not have the right to life that is inherent and unalienable?
    Did the founders think of a fertilized human egg as a person?

Again, that a fertilized egg is alive and has the human dna is not at issue. It's the claim that it is equal in every way to an "person" at a state where everyone on any side of the argument agrees is a human with rights. You're the one thinking that this is all science, when a decision of when rights should be conferred is definitely not science.

A: This isn't the "religious" argument. The religious argument would, e.g. reference Scripture related to all life being God-breathed, to God knowing each life before forming it in the womb, and similar.
    What reason do you have for conferring the same rights to a zygote? The only people insisting that rights must confer at conception is religious people. Scientists don't make that argument. Atheists don't make that argument. It's an arbitrary requirement that you've put on it.

B. The scientific argument is that the two-celled zygote meets the scientific criteria for being both living and human. Science doesn't address the matter of inherent/natural rights; that would be the realm of philosophy. You are using philosophy, rather than science, to limit/refute the scientific argument.
    Does not follow.
    This is an absurd and evil argument. I don't dispute that many hold it.
    Well at least we both agree with that.

The problems with this argument are:

A) That it uses philosophy to limit the meaning of "human life" as a justification for taking what would, scientifically, constitute human life;
    B) That it relies upon a scientifically unknowable/non-objective concept of "sentience". You can't define what, exactly, it is or when, exactly, it applies to the developing human.
    C) And, therefore, it is a wholly inappropriate basis for rationalizing the taking of a human life.
    I think you really need to figure out what I'm actually arguing because you keep arguing against points I'm not making. I have not claimed that our laws should be based on sentience. I brought that up in service of the point that insisting "life" (a right to life) at conception is ideologically or religiously based. I've never said laws should be based on "Sentience".

It properly fits within the realm of philosophy because the discussion of when rights confer to a "person" IS a philosophy, whether or not you choose to admit it.

Also, I'm not rationalizing the taking of a human life. I could accuse you of rationalizing why it must be conception.

You rightly point out that this is not a scientific argument. The only scientific position is the one that does not introduce religion, philosophy, morality, or other non-scientific concepts - the position that the two-celled zygote is a living human being. Anything you add to that statement is extra-scientific/non-scientific.
    Yours is not a scientific argument. As I said, you're using a definition of a fertilized egg, backed by scientific discovery, to claim rights. I could easily point out the scientific literature that says when a fetus can generally feel pain, and use that as a basis for conferring rights. And you'd claim that's not "scientific". And that would be as true for that as it is for conception. It's an arbitrary placement of rights based on some point in a pregnancy. It's the point that is scientifically based, but not the assigning of human rights. And that's really the only point I intend to argue with this line of reasoning. That it's subjective, and that to get at conception, requries some other belief, religious or ideological.

This is more than merely the religious argument; it is the philosophical argument - and one that is enshrined in the very founding document of our nation (the Declaration of Independence); again: all humans are created equal and are endowed with certain, unalienable rights; that among them are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

It is you who appends "at the point you do" to "conferring equal rights". The subjective call is limiting the scope of the developmental cycle during which a human being is endowed with the right to life.
    What did the founders mean? I suspect not. But the Declaration of Independence doesn't confirm or deny that unborn children are included, or that especially, from conception. As well, the 14th amendment neither confirms or denies that unborn children are included. It's my contention that it is a subjective matter, and thus is of a more local importance one way or the other. It's an issue for the different states to determine for their own constituents.

I don't need to introduce religious concepts. My position stands, secure, on objective, dispassionate science.
    It's an arbitrary decision to make the point where rights confer on the unborn to be at conception, without a soul or some other such concept. You could argue that it's as good a place as any, since it's certain that no mistakes could be made. But there are other testable milestones as well.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I'll push back on this. "Why" does the definition of the beginning point of human life, which is a scientific matter, but with tentacles into our understanding of human rights, have to be fixed for all time, unchangeable by new information?

That assertion sounds to me like someone trying to end debate, by setting the rules of intellectual engagement in a manner which only permits the discussion to reach their desired outcome.

"My method only leads to one possible answer; therefore it's the one which should be employed."
    If you're fine with humanity continuing on a perpetual cycle of murder and genocide against whichever group is deemed to be the less-than-humans of the day, then there's no reason why. If you'd rather live in a society where your right to life is not dependent on the next direction the winds of societal change start to blow, then there's a very good reason to seek a consistent definition of human life.

Can you name a single historical nation/society that claimed that a portion of their human population were not actually human, or did not have equal rights, whom we now look back on as anything other than barbarians and murderers? Has there ever been a point in history where the ones fighting to take away the right to life/liberty of a whole subset of humanity were in the right? What makes you think future generations will view abortion any differently?

Of course, all this brings up one of the difficulties of trying to debate morals from a purely secular standpoint in the first place. Here I'm making an appeal to being on the "right side of history", or how future generations will view us. Of course, for many people, that's not really going to mean anything. So how do you debate morals without an objective source of truth? I think you basically have to take one of two positions, either "right" and "wrong" have no objective meaning, and therefore whatever any given society decides is "right" in their own time period, is right. But if you believe that we have a right to look back at the genocides, mass murder, and mass enslavement of the past, and say definitively that those were wrong, then it seems to follow that you must be appealing to some idea of human rights that stays the same, and doesn't "change based on new information."

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm not arguing the "moral" definition of life; you are introducing that as an extra-scientific argument - unless and until you can provide empirical evidence of precisely when "sentience" attaches to the developing human life and/or other means of establishing when the developing human is "human enough" for natural rights to attach.
    It has to have a "moral" definition. Again, no one is arguing that a zygote is alive and has human dna. But there is plenty of arguments about when rights confer to unborn children. That's why this is a controversial issue. You keep making the reductive argument that zygote, for all practical purposes is the right place, scientifically, when science has made no such indication. It's an argument unique to certain religious groups.

I do not consider the comparison of a developing human being (e.g. a two-celled zygote) to "some human cells" (e.g. skin cells) to be a sincere comparison/argument. A "clump of cells" is not a human life. A gamete is not a human life. A two-celled zygote is a human life.
    You got your panties twisted over it because of the importance you place on it, most likely based on your religious and moral beliefs. So I guess I can forgive you for saying I'm being insincere.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

And they have their religious freedom, till it infringes on another's.
    In this case, the right of the unborn.

If their religion says they can sacrifice a 25 year old, that still runs into being "illegal".

Top Bottom