• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I'd imagine the guy doesn't seem to mind too much because he was stoned, maybe on some :chillpill:, :): .

I may be misunderstanding here but I almost get the impression that some of you don't see a problem with this. You are responsible for whatever it may be that your ammunition hits. While this is an accident most likely (hippie-hating jokes aside) someone should be punished for this negligence. Whether it should be the shooter or the PD for arranging the shooting during the festival or the range for not having adequate "bullet containment." That is for the court to decide who was at fault though.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    We tried that at my uncle's out in the country...shooting into a hill and the darn things were causing long skid marks in the ground and skipping off, hitting the tree line behind it, taking out small branches.:) It looked like someone spent the entire afternoon practicing their driving at golf.:):
    We were shooting .233 and 7.62x54r rounds.

I am notifying the National Harbor Day foundation you clearly need to be held accountable for all those trees that you damaged!!! :D :lmfao::p

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Punished? For what? Having his bullet obey the Laws of Physics?

I don't understand, what makes you think that a crime was committed?

I don't know about it being a crime, though I suppose it could be twisted to become one. I think that would be much more likely to happen if it was not a LEO who pulled the trigger. Much of the reasoning used, I think, would center on Rule 4: Know your target and your backstop and on the oft-quoted, "You are responsible for every bullet that leaves your gun."

The bottom line is that this is not, no matter how it is spun, an "accidental" shooting; it is a negligent shooting. The person pulling the trigger did not ensure where his/her bullet would stop.

Blessings,
    Bill

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    Uh whoever fired the round could get bagged in civil court for gross negligence resulting in bodily harm.

And Criminally i wanna say Reckless endangerment?

Which i'm pretty sure can be a felony in most states.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Punished? For what? Having his bullet obey the Laws of Physics?

I don't understand, what makes you think that a crime was committed?
    Punished for not obeying the most basic of range safety rules. Who said he committed a crime? I certainly didn't. Do you assume that all punishment must be for crimes?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Not people, Cops. Watch some TV, cops are always guilty.

Why are we overlooking the obvious here? He made a headshot a quarter mile away with a .45! Freakin' Marksman.

That shot does not merit calling the shooter a Marksman. This shot falls into the Acts of God Category. God wanted the douche shot in the head. The individual who fired the .45 just happened to be the closest person with a firearm... ;)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    That shot does not merit calling the shooter a Marksman. This shot falls into the Acts of God Category. God wanted the douche shot in the head. The individual who fired the .45 just happened to be the closest person with a firearm... ;)

There wasn't another closer person with a firearm within a quarter of a mile radius of the aforementioned *vaginal wash*?

Now that is a tragedy. ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Part of the question will be if the backstop simply failed. I.E. If I go to pop's guns and shoot, and by some miracle a single round clears the building and hits a jogger who just happens to be walking, am I guilty?

There is much to be discovered here.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Part of the question will be if the backstop simply failed. I.E. If I go to pop's guns and shoot, and by some miracle a single round clears the building and hits a jogger who just happens to be walking, am I guilty?

This is what I was getting at in my post. It needs to be figured out whether it was a failure on the ranges behalf or the shooters. If it ricocheted off the backstop and went into the victim's head that is just, well, an unfortunate and horribly rotten series of events and I don't see how one could really blame one person or thing such as the range. If it was a lack of a suitable backstop that is the ranges fault. If the guy was just aiming in the air completely missing the backstop that is his fault and he should be responsible for the end results.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend

you may not be "guilty" of a crime but you may not be allowed to shoot at the new and improved "Jogger and Family Shooting Range and Sports Store"

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I feel our paths have surely crossed before or at least came close!

But I have to ask, are you saying you NEVER made a shot and said to yourself "How did that happen?" Then turn to your friends and just smile like you meant for it to happen. Only the cop knows for sure.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Awesome! I teach my youngest to avoid "Dirty Hippies", if at all possible!:rockwoot:
    When I was a kid the Hippies were protesting the Baby Burners AKA try to beat the **** out of me or camp out in our front lawn..............so one night they set up camp in front of our house and low and behold the Baby Burners happened to arrive home at the same time.

WOW!! Tresspassing Hippies versus Combat Vets. After that even the garage bands in the area seemed to evaporate.

Am I the only one that finds it odd there is a gun/sportsman club on one side of the street and artsy fartsy hippie gathering on the other? It never works. See above story.

Cops Defense: I was shooting at Flying Fish. My Boss told me it was OK to do it. I felt pressured by my employer to participate.

Words are like bullets, once you pull the trigger you can't put either one back. Someone is responsible for that bullet but we can spread all the crap we want here in the peoples court of opinion, the interBSnet.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

This is what I was getting at in my post. It needs to be figured out whether it was a failure on the ranges behalf or the shooters. If it ricocheted off the backstop and went into the victim's head that is just, well, an unfortunate and horribly rotten series of events and I don't see how one could really blame one person or thing such as the range. If it was a lack of a suitable backstop that is the ranges fault. If the guy was just aiming in the air completely missing the backstop that is his fault and he should be responsible for the end results.

OK, I can see those points, sure, and in light of that, I'll amend my previous post.. Let's remove "no matter how it is spun". If indeed, the LEO fired correctly at an ostensibly appropriate backstop which simply failed, no, I cannot see how he could be held accountable for the failure since he had a reasonable expectation that it would be sufficient to stop a fired round (i.e. "that's why it's called a "backstop") Thanks for the alternate viewpoint, gentlemen, well-presented and (hypothetical) factually based. Reps to you both.

Blessings,
    Bill

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom