• did you like the lcp overall?

• Total voters

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    This is simple, if you've owned an lcp did/do you like it?

I've heard complaints about trigger pull.

edit**

I realize the lcp isn't a range gun and it's probably not comfortable to shoot. I'm ok with that as long as you can put 5 / 6 rounds on a target 3-5 yards away.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Overall, yes.
    Depends what features you're after. Trigger isn't great. It's not a range gun. It's not too fun to shoot. but....

When I'm wearing shorts and a T-shirt and running errands in the summer, I'd much rather have my LCP in a pocket holster than put on my 9 mm with gun belt and IWB holster.

For basic protection at handshake distances with something reliable and easily concealed, it's a good piece.

Mister K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2014
    Central IN
    I like mine. It's a great little pocket gun. I've probably only ran 50 or so rounds through it, FMJ and HP. It has never malfunctioned and shoots pretty good for what it is. I usually keep it loaded with FMJ though. I have a wallet type leather holster that rides in my front right pocket with a spot for a spare mag (made it myself), a kydex IWB holster that works pretty good (from Ebay) . I also bought a sideclip Amazon.com : Gun Belt Clip For Use With Ruger LCP 380 RH : Sporting Goods : Sports & Outdoors that works good for deep concealment, it's like the ones found on Keltec's. I wouldn't use the sideclip with one in the chamber, it is not all that fast to draw and you really need to remove the clip to put it in a holster. But it is comfortable and practically disappears when using it. My preferred method is the wallet type holster.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    I do not own ANY guns! But if I did, a Ruger LCP would be great for a light-weight carry pistol or back up gun. Kinda harsh to shoot very much though. (If I had one and ever shot it).

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I had an early one and liked it. I have now a newer one with the improved trigger/shorter pull and one of the Hogue "made for the LCP" pinned on grips installed and really like it.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I really liked mine. Dependable, accurate, recoil did not bother me and super easy to conceal. However, once I started collecting Sig P238s, I just did not have any more use for it.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I hated mine. A bit more space and weight will afford you a featherweight smith jframe, imo. I wasn't a terrible shot with it, but not good either. It was an early model. I gave it about 400rds then let it go.

i think the belt line is a better place for a firearm, anyways.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Very compact and easy to carry with a knife clip on it, horribly unpleasant to shoot and the trigger pull is garbage. I still carry it and for the money you can't beat it.

Bravo-4-2

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I realize the lcp isn't a range gun and it's probably not comfortable to shoot. I'm ok with that as long as you can put 5 / 6 rounds on a target 3-5 yards away.

As long as you understand this, the LCP can fill a need very well. I just bought one last month and have now put 30 mags through it without a single failure. It was not intended to be a target gun and it was not intended to be comfortable to shoot. If you want those things, don't buy a gun that was not made for either. But....for a true pocket gun, or a gun to fit a special purpose that requires it to be very small and light-weight, the LCP can't be beaten when price is part of the equation. For a self-defense gun that's the ultimate in concealability, to be used at 5 yards and in, it is a great choice.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Yes I own one and it is a great last ditch gun. By that I mean its better then not having a gun at all but I worry about jamming. I have a Fobus ankle holster which I do highly recommend but the gun itself scares me a little. I guess I just don't really shoot it enough to have faith in it during a confrontation.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Yes I own one and it is a great last ditch gun. By that I mean its better then not having a gun at all but I worry about jamming. I have a Fobus ankle holster which I do highly recommend but the gun itself scares me a little. I guess I just don't really shoot it enough to have faith in it during a confrontation.

Might work on that I guess :/

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have mixed feelings about the LCP. Mrs. Monkey carries one. She saw it in raspberry and fell in love. Wish we could have shot it first...

We like the long trigger pull. less chance of a ND. Its relatively smooth for a factory trigger, and has just enough weight to be safe without being too heavy. It's not unpleasant to shoot per se, but on the range you will likely be annoyed by its accuracy. While some subs are hard on your hand and wrist due to recoil, this pistol is harder on your mind/attitude. She can barely keep it on the silhouette paper at 5 yards. Lots of hits around the body and in the non-scoring zone. I have trouble keeping it in the 8 ring at that range. (I'm no Jerry Miculek but I can typically keep all shots in the 10 ring at that range with the right handgun)

At <3 yards it's quite effective as a "point and shoot gun" using natural PoA.

MY biggest beef are the sights. They are fixed and remind me of the craptastic S&W J frame sights; You really cant use them easily. I looked into new sights, and I only found one place that does them. They will mill out the slide to accept a front trijicon and their custom machined rear sight which looks decent, but they only do them when their machine shop business is slow and they arent working on any large contracts so their availability is spotty. I emailed them with questions in January and was told they were too busy and wouldnt consider working on any until May. They wouldnt even answer the question of whether I could just buy their sights outright and have somebody like AllenM mill/install them for me.

My summary? As long as your threat is the type of "Excuse me sir, do you know what time it is? No its time for you to gimme your wallet, as well as your phone, car keys, that nice watch, etc"; it's acceptable. If you expect to use it as a HD weapon, or proactively engage threats USPSA/IDPA style, forget it. Any effective shots that land will be lucky ones.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I like my LCP. It's currently my summer carry. Since my first carry gun was a SP101 I am used to the long trigger pull. I also personalized the gun for my needs.

It does nothing for my range confidence but I don't anticipate shooting anyone from a distance with it.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have nothing against it, but I prefer a Taurus 709 Slim for various advantages. I did help my son trade one off for a Taurus TCP, and I prefer the TCP over the LCP. I compared the two and found the Taurus more reliable. I know; unusual, but true. Go figure.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Several hundred rounds thru an lcp, I absolutely love it. Its small enough for pocket carry, at 5yd mine was all holes touching accurate. Never had a single hiccup yet. The trigger pull is best described as a days walk long, but youll manage just fine.

Top Bottom