• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tetee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2022
    Indianapolis
    So, I’m from Indianapolis and never have went camping much I’m now 20 and want to go camping but I’d like to have protection. I don’t have a gun license or permit. I have a date scheduled for my fingerprinting for march 1st but my camping trip is on the 25th. Anyway to speed up the process or legal way to buy a revolver without a gun license or permit? Sorry I’m pretty unfamiliar with the law and would like advice. Thanks guys

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    So, I’m from Indianapolis and never have went camping much I’m now 20 and want to go camping but I’d like to have protection. I don’t have a gun license or permit. I have a date scheduled for my fingerprinting for march 1st but my camping trip is on the 25th. Anyway to speed up the process or legal way to buy a revolver without a gun license or permit? Sorry I’m pretty unfamiliar with the law and would like advice. Thanks guys
    Handgunlaw is a good site for information on gun laws across the country. Click on any state on the map and a page will pop up with a summary of that state's laws plus links with more detailed information.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Your biggest problem is you wont be able to buy a handgun retail under 21 as I recall. Private sales of handguns are allowed but not retail sales. (e.g. you cant buy one from Cabelas but you can buy one from your Dad or Uncle or a friend)

And I wouldn't worry about camping. Out in the woods or a park campground is FAR from 99% of the threats you will see here in Indy.
    I'd be FAR more worried about venomous snakes or bears than crackheads, gangbangers, etc.

So for camping, relax and enjoy yourself. You'll be fine.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Do some research and reading on laws and different firearms. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Don't make hasty decisions on what to buy. Lot of good members here with good advice, listen to them. First, educate yourself.

Tetee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Your biggest problem is you wont be able to buy a handgun retail under 21 as I recall. Private sales of handguns are allowed but not retail sales. (e.g. you cant buy one from Cabelas but you can buy one from your Dad or Uncle or a friend)

And I wouldn't worry about camping. Out in the woods or a park campground is FAR from 99% of the threats you will see here in Indy.
    I'd be FAR more worried about venomous snakes or bears than crackheads, gangbangers, etc.

So for camping, relax and enjoy yourself. You'll be fine.
    I think that’s rifles for having to be 21. For a handgun in Indiana it is 18 via gunpolicy.org I wasn’t sure if I would need a license for a private sale though as I would for retail. Or if it’s better to just wait the few weeks and get one from a shop.

Thanks for all the camping info that will help a lot. Didn’t even think about the snakes lol probably saved me from a nasty bite

Tetee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Do some research and reading on laws and different firearms. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Don't make hasty decisions on what to buy. Lot of good members here with good advice, listen to them. First, educate yourself.
    I’m educated on firearms and gun safety and on maintaining them. My grandpa restored guns as a hobby taught me a lot before he passed. I was only about 13 so he didn’t get the chance to teach me about the licensing or any of that process. Definitely will take the experienced people’s advice and what not. Definitely got more to learn but I know the basics and very open on learning more and taking advice. Thank you for your advice.

Tetee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2022
    Indianapolis
    A license isnt needed to buy a gun in Indiana and now one isnt needed to carry that firearm (in Indiana).

As far as rules of campsites I have no idea, check with the place you are going.
    Is a license not needed to buy retail? or is it j not needed for private sales ? Or both? Sorry for the confusion just trying to do it the right way

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Is a license not needed to buy retail? or is it j not needed for private sales ? Or both? Sorry for the confusion just trying to do it the right way
    No license needed to purchase long guns or handguns in Indiana.
    No license needed, private sale or retail outlet.
    And now, no license needed to carry a handgun.

One piece of advice I will give is that if it’s possible for you to strike up a relationship with a smaller, local gun shop, they can really help steer you along, especially once they know you are sincerely interested in learning more and developing skills.

As for camping, I don’t know of anyplace that prohibits personal protection.

CameraMonkey is correct though, in that campgrounds are some of the safest places around. People leave their stuff lying around and it’s not stolen. At least that’s my experience.
    And there are going to be no snakes out this early in the year. They wouldn’t really be a bother any time of the year, anyway.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Also, a pretty good explanation here of the age requirements.

State law 18 for anything, federal law 21 for handgun - from a dealer.

Private sales ok as long as not prohibited person.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You dont need a license to buy or carry. Period. Full stop. Your LTCH is ONLY ONLY ONLY for reciprocity to carry when you want to carry your handgun outside the state.

tgeorge21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 19, 2023
    Feet
    Your question is
    Some of these replies are correct, and some are not. I encourage you to do your own research, but to answer your question:

You do not have to obtain a handgun license to purchase, own, or carry a handgun in Indiana as long as you are:
    • A resident of Indiana.
    • In the state of Indiana.
    • Over the age of 18
    • Not a felon, dishonorable discharge, mentally committed, etc.
    Indiana still offers handgun licenses, but they are not required as long as you meet the above requirements. That license is mainly if you are going to carry out of state.

HOWEVER, Federal law states that you have to be 21 years or older to purchase a handgun from a dealer; i.e. a store or gun shop.
    You can purchase a handgun privately (from a person) if you are 18 or older, and you can purchase long guns (rifles) from a dealer, but not handguns until you are 21.

EDIT: While you can purchase a rifle from a shop, most shops I have been too have a week or more waiting period if you are 18-21.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    No dice getting a handgun from a dealer til you're 21. You can buy from a private seller, however.

Take a tomahawk camping. You'll get a lot of use out of it, and it will allow you to deal handily with any "predator" you're likely to come across in backwoods Indiana.

Last edited:

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Take a tomahawk camping. You'll get a lot of use out of it, and it will allow you do deal handily with any "predator" you're likely to come across in backwoods Indiana.
    I was going to say pepper spray, but I guess melee weapons could work too. :):
    A melee confrontation requires close contact. I'd probably opt for both since the tomahawk can also be used to process wood.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    It seems you are convinced you don't need any training but I can assure you that it will serve you well to get some if you plan on carrying a firearm. There's much more to defending yourself with a pistol than having general firearms knowledge and knowing basic gun safety. A wise man once said, "owning a firearm doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician".
    Your life, your decision but I've been in numerous training classes and never felt like I was wasting my time or failed to learn something valuable.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom