• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    OK, so some guy who joined the forum in 2008 and had 400+ posts had a couple of non FFL items for sale in the classifieds. I responded that I would take them, how would he like payment he said to send them to:

#### XXXX St, Indianapolis, IN

make US Postal Money order payable to H S An

I asked for his name because I do not typically send certified funds to anyone without at least their name.

His profile on INGO contains NO personal information.

His response was thanks anyway, he has been on this forum a lot longer than me.

Do you think that he is running a scam? Either way, I do not intend to purchase anything from him. I am not one of those so desperate for a deal that I will let send money over the internet to an address and no name.

Is anyone so paranoid that they will not send their name to be put on a money order for two mags? Could it be that he doesn't want the "new" merchandise traced back to him?

I am dumbfounded.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Yeah, maybe that is his name. I thought it was an abbreviation. I just thought it was weird that he would not give me a first name.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I've been burned once, I send my money-order to an INGO member & he never sent me the 1911 S & A MAGWELL every item you buy is a risk, INGO will tell you to give him negative feedback

ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN
    How many threads has INGO had lately complaining about the EE? No offense OP but just walk away. The beauty of Capitalism is that it allows free choice.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I doubt he's running a scam. His comment might have been a bit snarky, but it doesn't look like your profile contains any personal information either, so :dunno:

As Dr. Midnight posted, if something seems off to you, it might be best just to look elsewhere.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    On a face-to-face deal I would not give my name, or maybe just my first name (which is not a secret anyway), as it's not needed for the transaction.
    But if you are doing your transaction by mail (either sending the items or the money) then you need to know the full name and address.

Any transaction on INGO is based on trust, if you feel that something is wrong then dont do business with that person.

For me FTF transaction is the safest thing you can do, if the buyer doesn't have the money he doesn't get the goods.Simple enough.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    In my opinion there is no reason not to tell someone your name. It takes a lot more than just your name to do any type of identity theft. I wouldnt be handing out a ton of info, but your name is just that, a name. In this world chances are you are not the only one with your name and its not enough to prove or disprove anything.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    In my opinion there is no reason not to tell someone your name. It takes a lot more than just your name to do any type of identity theft. I wouldnt be handing out a ton of info, but your name is just that, a name. In this world chances are you are not the only one with your name and its not enough to prove or disprove anything.

I agree with that, it just depends how you do your transaction.
    If you do it face-to-face, saying "hey im Joe, let's meet here at this time" is enough information for both the buyer and the seller.
    If you do it buy mail you need more informations.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    :tinfoil::shady: I love how so many people get worked up over this kind of stuff. Not the OP, but the seller.

No one will ever get my name, I'll never sign a bill of sale, I'll never show my ID, I'll never hand out my number... Whatever. Everyone thinks someone is out to get them. I'll show you my ID Civilian and military, I'll sign whatever you want, you can see my LTCH. Hell I'll take pics on cell and text them all to you. Granted this is a 2 way street for me, if your remaining Mr. Anonymous, then I'm probably not doing business with you, but some of these overly paranoid people need to calm down! Who cares? If you sign a bill of sale what does that mean? That now someone has your name? Guess what every bill you have has a lot more information then that on it. If someone really wants to steal your identity, they will. Your on the internet, your already not as safe as you think you are.

Calm down. No one is trying to steal your life because they want to see your ID to complete a sale!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Calm down. No one is trying to steal your life because they want to see your ID to complete a sale!

+1

The hypocrites are the ones who use credit cards for everything and post all sorts of details to Faceborg.

Heck, you can even buy a six pack without an ID anymore. Can we at least pretend buy and selling firearms isn't illegal and quit treating sales like drug deals? For most deals, I don't really care who you are, I want to see how you react when I ask who you are. Ten minutes later I'll have forgotten your name, but I'll remember if you a tinfoil hat kind of fellow.

To the OP, if the seller expects you to trust that he'll send the goods then he should trust you enough to provide an identity.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom