• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danbailey24

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Rochester
    anyone have thoughts? I've read some posts...mostly people who love them. I'm getting a Ruger SR9c soon, and am kicking around the idea of a laser on it. one question...

how do lasers work? meaning how do you activate the laser? is it an additional button to push through the shooting process? In pictures i've looked at, it seems like there is another button under the trigger guard, which would be depressed by the middle finger of the shooting hand. any help would be appreciated

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The only laser I would trust my life to would be Crimson Trace. On theirs, the switch is activated when the hand squeezes down on the grip. Though I don't think they should ever be used as a substitute for quality sights, they can greatly aid in a self defense situation. Especially if your shooting with your elbow held in towards the body (thus keeping the gun close to you and harder to strip away) or from awkward angles (on your back or side for example). They can also serve as a great mental deterrent to a would be attacker.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    A laser can be very beneficial during certain situations as mentioned above, but don't use it as a substitute for training with your sights. I think a lot of people assume that with a laser you just need to look for the dot and pull the trigger. But what happens when the dot quits working?

lubemupski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    Fishers
    I would recommend spending a bit more if you are going to get one. I have an (relatively) inexpensive NcStar on my pistol's front rail. The green laser is very bright and it can aid in training using the regular sights. However, after a few shots it tends to get knocked out of zero.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If you go with a laser go with the Crimson Trace. I believe the model for the SR9c mounts to the accessory rail. There will be an activation button on the front of the grip. When you grip the gun the laser comes on.

Lasers are not a substitute for the sights, rather they are to be used in addition to the iron sights. They can be useful for shooting in low light conditions, from alternative positions and also make a great dry practice tool. Overall I like lasers and do not see them as a negative on a gun.

I have owned several Crimson Trace products. Currently I do not own or have them on any of my guns. Though I like lasers I believe there are better things to spend money on as it pertains to my guns. Magazines, Ammo, Holsters, Training, & a quality handheld light all come to mind.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    THe above posts are right. Laser are a good aid, but not a replacement for iron sights and general good sight picture training, etc. And Crimson trace is the go-to company!
    From MY personal experience, I will tell you that I did NOT like my Crimson Trace Laserguard (this is the one that mount to the triggerguard) on a glock 27 becuase it ate up a few mm of valuable grip space - and made that small gun in .40 very "flippy" for me. Without the laser, it was fine.
    IF you get a crimson Trace, get the model that mounts on the BACK and SIDES of the grip (called a "lasergrip" model) -- not the front or under the trigger guard.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Back and rear mounted make the grip bigger unless the entire grip panels are replaced. Not really an option for Glock or the SR9c

Chip

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I would recommend the Surefire X400. Pricey but it solves two issues. Anyone who has ever the had the chance to do a low light course of fire will preach about the usefulness of a laser. It is literally night and day with consideration to hits.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Lafayette
    I use to love them and maybe because I thought they were cool but now after shooting and shooting and shooting, I prefer not to have them at all. I use night sights on all my guns including the Vang Comp set on my shotty and am so used to acquiring the sight picture I don't ever find a need for one anymore. Just my 2cents

Landshark67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Anderson
    Good points here. I just bought a new Bodyguard, though not for the laser. I love other features about it, but the laser is a nice touch.

manley82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    I am familiar with crimson Trace grip lasers but has anyone used the newer trigger guard options from crimson?? I like the fact they do not add size to the grip area but required special holsters.. not sure if they are worth it.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I agree that if you are going to get a laser, get the crimson trace products. I have the laserguard on my G26 and G27. I find them to be very helpful, but they are not a substitue for the sights. Make sure you train and practice with the laser and the sights. They are great for low light and if your in a position that you cannot use the sights you will be glad you have the laser. Great for Old Eyes as well.:)

Top Bottom