• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So far its just out of interest, but I've been looking into laser lights for my glock 21 and 19. There's so many out there, but the main 2 I've found is laser max and crimson trace. I was curious what everyone on here thought of laser lights in general, and what have been their favorite ones and not so favorite ones.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I'm curious about the guide lights. I wonder if they hold zero very well?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    1) I am not a fan of laser sights in general. IMO, they are a niche item at best.

2) Of the currently available laser sights for Glocks, the Crimson Trace LG-417 is easily the best option.
    lg417.jpg

3) The Lasermax guide-rod units are a crapshoot; Lasermax guarantees that POI will be within 2" of the dot at 20 yards, BUT that doesn't mean the laser will co-witness with your iron sights, and if POI is more than 2" at 20 yards, you have to send in your entire pistol to them so they can adjust the unit. And they replace functional components of your gun. Even though it may not void your warranty, it still makes the Glock armorer in me cringe. ;)

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    They show you your target

Literally speaking, they don't even do that. All they do is show you where the laser is pointed...

IMO, unless you're in one of a few niche categories, the money you'd spend on a good laser sight is probably better spent on a flashlight (handheld or weapon-mounted), night sights, ammo and/or training.

swbster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I have a S&W 9mm with a laser. I bought it as a package and it is neat but I am not sure it is worth that much to me. This may be obvious but they really only work inside and I do most of my shooting outside. It is fun to go to the indoor range and dial it in. Just my :twocents:.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    And if you're going to buy a laser, PLEASE pony up and get a decent one (CTC, Lasermax, Viridian, Laser Devices, Insight, Surefire, I'm sure there are others) and not some $39.95 piece of :poop:. I can't TELL you how much trouble I've seen with the cheap units - mounts that don't fit any known rail spec; W/E adjustments that either do too much (1mm turn of the adjustment screw = 1 foot of dot movement) or nothing at all; dots that go on or off randomly; battery caps that won't stay secured... and that's all before the gun is even fired; then you have withstanding recoil and holding zero to worry about.

Friends don't let friends buy cheap lasers. ;)

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Crimson Trace. Have one on my G17... it came with the gun. Actually, that is not entirely true... it came on the G22 that was replaced by the G17. For a bedside safe gun/tool, I like it. The only carry gun I ever had with a CT laser was the 642. It, again, came as part of the "package." I liked it on the snubbie.

I don't feel the need to buy them for the other carry guns.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    It's never been a priority of mine. I just wondered how they held zero. The CT lights, are they adjustable? And is the light secure, or can it be bumped out of alignment?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks for all the info! After checking out those links and reading all your info, I think I'd be better off just using the money for a training class and just practice like heck. Just get myself to where its like I have a built in laser in my eyes and hands.:)

Thanks again!

SootKing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    not tellin
    It's never been a priority of mine. I just wondered how they held zero. The CT lights, are they adjustable? And is the light secure, or can it be bumped out of alignment?

i dont think they can be bumped and be thrown out of wack...ive got a CTC on be 92fs and its was the best..and only thing ive to the gun thus far...i can shoot from the hip and hit a target 60 feet bullseye. they are adjusted by a little baby allen wrench that comes with the kit

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    After checking out those links and reading all your info, I think I'd be better off just using the money for a training class and just practice like heck.

Well now that's just down-right reasonable. :D

I just noticed that you're in Boone County, which means that you have an EXCELLENT training resource right in your back yard with Sheriff Ken. Check the Tactics and Training forum for a list of his training dates.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Yep. Gonna send out the application and check Monday morning. Have to find a town official to type something out, saying I'm a good honorable citizen. Couldn't get the guy to call me back today.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    As far as training goes, even if you do get a laser, you probably should get the training as well. Using a laser isn't the magic like you see on the Crimson Trace commercials. You still need to have adequate trigger control and follow-through or you're going to miss.

Lasers can be an complement supplement to conventional iron sights, but they do not adequately replace iron sights. For people with vision problems, they may be the best option for a primary sighting system.

Lasers can be very helpful when you have to fire from a position where bringing the gun inline with your eyes and the target is difficult or impossible. Lasers can be really helpful in low light situations, especially after you have identified a threat with your white light, and you can then proceed to address the threat without use of the white light in some circumstances.

The real problem I have with them is the way too many of the manufacturers and vendors market lasers. They make it seem or even strongly imply that if you put the red dot where you intend for the bullets to go, you can't miss. That's . . . far from the truth. I think it's deceptive to say the least.

Then there are the issues of actually being able to see the reflection of the laser on the target. It's easy in low light or on dark surfaces, but not so easy in bright sunlight.

Useful? Potentially, and in some situations absolutely useful.
    Foolproof? No way.

As far as brands go, the Crimson Trace probably has the best track record for quality and consistency, plus windage and elevation are easily adjustable. One down side is that with some models, your finger can/will block the beam when it's in the register position alongside the slide/frame. My brother actually makes use of this, but it could be a problem for some. Another issue is that the Glock versions may be troublesome for people who are already having issues due to the size of the grip.

The Lasermax has the advantage that it does not change anything about the external form factor of the gun. It also isn't blocked by your finger when you have it safely alongside the slide/frame.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Literally speaking, they don't even do that. All they do is show you where the laser is pointed...

IMO, unless you're in one of a few niche categories, the money you'd spend on a good laser sight is probably better spent on a flashlight (handheld or weapon-mounted), night sights, ammo and/or training.

This.

Top Bottom