• ...and so much more!
  • Which would you choose

• Total voters

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    .357 shoots flatter than a .44 both work great on deer.

Hmm. Do you have any data to support this? I've seen several trajectory charts that are virtually the same for .357 and .44 mag for similar loads.

Ergo .357 does not shoot significantly flatter than .44 mag. There are significant differences between these two cartridges, but trajectory isn't one of them; not for similar loads anyway.

Django

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2009
    New Haven
    As I have a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 I'm biased. 38 (if you can find it) for plinking and 357 for home defense isn't a bad setup.
    Not sure I would want anything short of a rifle for large game, definitely not bear (maybe the 44 as a BUG :))
    With the expense and kick of larger loads it's likely a 44/46 would turn into a safe queen. I'd rather get something I intend to use.
    </BS>

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Pretty much all been said. 357 is very versatile. 44 is a lot of fun. Defintely check into the Rugers, built like a tank and priced right. S&W have sweet triggers.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I voted .357...that caliber has suited me fine in both duty and sporting applications. When it come to hunting, I would "suggest" that you find a caliber that you can consistentantly put multiple rapid fired rounds on the target with. Simply stated.....Sometimes the hunter becomes the hunted.
    :twocents:

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    revolver

629 classic with 6" barrell simmons 2x7 scope. plenty of gun for any deer at ranges of 100 yards. very easy to shoot well with a 44 with some practice. you will need to practice with any handgun you choose. you can shoot reduced loads for practice and magnums when you get better controling the recoil, which is not as bad as alot of people let on about. even if you never shoot mag loads the 44 special will do anything the 357 will.

mdroz3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Walkerton
    I prefer the .44mag. For all around use, hunting, protection, and target shooting, I think its the one to go with. BTW if you want to cut back on recoil for target shooting you can shoot 44special.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I voted for the .357. All around it's a good weapon. As for a hunting weapon, maybe you could split the difference and try a .41 Magnum in S&W. I like mine and it's not as brutal as a .44.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just my opinion, but I just LOVE my .454 cassul "Raging Bull" by Taurus. 8-3/8" ported barrel, a serious knock-down round! I have "thrown" a full size white-tail to the ground. I mean literally picked it up off it's hooves and THREW it about 3 feet! No more internal damage than a 12ga. slug does.
    The .460 may be a little more powerful, I don't care. I like my Raging Bull!

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    (posting so i can come back and read this thread.) I'm shopping for a .44 Magnum.

And after reading the whole thread this morning, i'll add my 2 cents worth(awaiting payment): You mentioned hunting some larger game than deer such as bear and elk. I don't think very many qualified, knowledgeable hunters would go out looking for a bear with just a .357 revolver. I think that if you are serious about hunting larger game, you will need at least a .44 mag. If you are going to go out and practice with it and become proficient, it will kill anything in North America. I think anything larger than that is just more range and margin of error for making an ethical kill. The .460 is obviously a great round. It carries more energy at 2-300 yards than a .44 at the muzzle. I've heard they don't even kick too hard with standard loads, but i havn't shot one. You can load the .45 and .454, but accuarcy decreases and your point of aim changes with each cartridge. It's also huge and heavy, which is important when hiking through the woods. I also agree that you should look at Rugers for .44s. There trigger is not as good, but they are very strong guns.

Last edited:

lilop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Get the 357. 44mag, although a blast to shoot, is pretty much useless for our area. It's overkill for any animal that we might encounter in our area, it's overkill for human animals, it cost more to reload for and it's harder to find quality, affordable ammunition for it. Plus, you can use 38 special in it, which is more affordable and easier to find than it's 44 special counterpart.

Top Bottom