• Which would you choose

• Total voters

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    I am looking to purchase a large caliber revolver. I'm not ruling any make or models out but so far the only research I've done has been for S&W. If you suggest a make, model, or caliber I do not have listed please post so I can include it in my research before purchasing.

Model 686 K Frame in .357 Magnum
    Product: Model 686 Revolver - 6", 6-Shot

Model 629 N Frame in .44 Magnum 6.5 or 8.375 barrel lengths.
    Product: Model 629 Classic Revolver - 6 1/2"

Model 460 XVR X Frame in .460 magnum
    Product: Model 460 XVR Revolver - 8 3/8"

I put a poll at the top Vote, Post, or both. Just looking for feedback and which others would choose. Grips are all extremely similar and all fit my hand so the classic "whichever you decide fits better" isn't really what I'm looking for. I'm more comparing size, weight, cartridge selection on which is more practical, too big/small, availability of ammo, and most able to do what I'm looking to do with it. Primarily hunt large game and blowing up the occasional milk jug in the back yard.

Thanks for the input in advance.

Last edited:

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    I vote for the 357 and the 686 is a good choice. I would assume as far as big game goes, you mean deer since you are in Indiana.

I know some won't like the choice of a 357 for deer, but I know of a lot of 'em that have fell to a 357.

Also of the 3 calibers you picked the 357 is gonna be the cheapest to feed and if need be, the 686 can be carried for SD and it makes a good HD gun.
    :)

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I'm partial to the .357 always loved how it performed on the deer my dad has shot :). I have a feeling this will become an argument between .357 and .44 mag just like 9mm or .45 acp. I've seen what a .357 does to a deers lungs with nice JHP at 45 yds. Also, recoil of a .44, unless with a good hand load, is gonna be a lot for shooting milk jugs.

mudwater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Wells County
    Voted 44 Mag.
    As a note, If you would like to put a scope on the magnum, consider the Ruger Super Redhawk. It comes with Ruger rings and the receiver is ready for them. It can also be bought in 454/ 45 colt. The 460 is so extreme, I would be worried about the whole deer exploding on impact!!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Primarily hunt large game and blowing up the occasional milk jug in the back yard.

List of game please.

Whitetail deer is "meduim" game and a 6" or longer .357, .44 mag, .45 Colt will be fine. My choice would be .45 Colt.

Large game (elk, caribou, moose, etc.) and I would go with .44 Mag or larger...

.44Mag, .45 Colt (Ruger only loads), .454 Casull, .480 Ruger, .500 Mag., or 460 Mag with heavy bullets (not the 200gr screamers).

The recoil of the super-magums can not be underestimated; they are not fun plinking guns.

Either way I would go for...

Ruger GP-100 6" or a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Mag
    Ruger GP100 Double ActionRevolvers
    Ruger New Model BlackhawkSingle ActionRevolvers

(Really. For a hunting gun I would completely avoid a K-frame S&W, the frame will eventually stretch and go out of time with heavy hunting loads - don't take my word for it, google it - some people say in as few as 1,000 rounds.)
    A S&W N frame .357 is fine though.

Ruger Super or Bisley Blackhawk in .44 Mag or .45 Colt
    Ruger New Model Super BlackhawkSingle ActionRevolver (KS-47NHB) Overview
    Ruger BisleySingle ActionRevolver (RB-45W) Overview

Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk in .44 Mag
    Ruger RedhawkDouble ActionRevolver (KRH-44R) Overview
    Ruger Super RedhawkDouble ActionRevolver (KSRH-7) Overview

Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 or .480
    Ruger Super RedhawkDouble ActionRevolvers

S&W X-frame
    Category - Extra Large Frame (X)

Last edited:

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I voted for the 44 since you said hunting was a major activity. The 357 can be a little light for hunting but is excellent for defense and targets.. The 460 is very flexable in that it can be loaded with full power loads and will also accept 454 and 45 Colt loads but the gun is massive. There are lots f loads offered for the 44 mag and you can use 44 Spl for practice. Hand loading expands this even more. The 629 is a fine gun as are the Ruger Redhawk and Super Redhawk. The Rugers will take more punishment form very hot loads over time. My personal favorite is the Super Blackhawk but I like single actions. The Hunter model includes a built-in top rib and rings. A very nece set-up.

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    Thanks for the input so far.

Kludge as far as game goes I'd like to go hunting for pig, elk, maybe a black bear, probably overkill a local IN whitetail or too also.

I have rifles in calibers capable of hunting all of them but I don't own a revolver at all and and thought buying one in a size and caliber I could hunt with would be a good start.

Thanks for the new suggestions and reviews also.
    I'll look into the K frame issues you mentioned and would have only considered the K frame in .357.

The .460 appealed to me because I could shoot .45 Colt, or .454 Casull, or .460 Magnum rounds out of it. Gave me a little more selection as far as loads go as Jimbo said.

Thanks guys this is good stuff. I appreciate it. Keep it coming.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Probably because, as a Certified GIT (Geezer IN Training) I was imprinted by the works of folks like Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton, et al in my impressionable youth, I still lean heavily towards diameter and mass when it comes to sixgun cartridges, especially for hunting medium to large game. Thanks to Col. Cooper, I also have a strong bias towards the .45 ACP where the well-being of my Personal Favorite Behind might find itself in jeopardy.

That said though, I own more .357 revolvers than any other caliber. I also have three carbines in the same chambering. For where I live and the kinds of shooting I do most anymore, that combo gives me the maximum practicality and versatility with the least hassle and expense.

Perhaps if hunting in general, and deer in particular, had been more a pastime or sport than a practical necessity when I was growing up, I'd have gotten into using really big bore handguns more seriously. When you're out there primarily to "make meat", I guess you tend to gravitate more towards the tools that make doing that easier and more efficient rather than more 'challenging'.

These days my second most-used CF is the .45 ACP. The majority of my CCWs are chambered for it, and my S&W 625 is perhaps my favorite CF revolver for 'fun' shooting. Extremely accurate, versatile and not too bulky to carry around on your hip all day, plus I already reload .45 ACPs and it gives me a way use up any recipes my semiautos don't like.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Here's my favorite; Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter. Old picture, currently wears a 2-6 scope. It should work on any game you should be using a hand-gun on.
    NewPictures12-08022.jpg

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I have the 629 8.5" in .44 Magnum on my list. I want a .44 for the combonation of a lot of power with availability and cost of ammo.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I had most of them and stayed with the .357

I recently sold my S&W model 29, 6.5 barrel 44mag as the ammo is so expensive but it was a great gun. It kicked less than my .357mags and was a very accurate shooter.

Sold my Ruger Vaquero in 45LC because it became a safe queen. Of all my guns this was my least used and really a poor choice on my part but I wanted a cowboy gun and once I got it "what do you do with it?"

Sold a couple of my .357mags but kept my two favorites and I think that is the best all around cal to own. You can practice with .38 special and save $$ and your hand. There are a lot of good guns out there to fit any budget. :twocents:

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Had to S&W Model 19's in 357 and they were great. I like .357 because you can practice with .38 and defend with .357. Good Luck.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i have a sw mod 29 in 44 mag that is the most accurate pistol ive ever shot. it has a 6 inch barrel. i would imagine the 629 would be basically the same gun but i dont know for sure

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I think the versatility of the .357 Magnum/.38 Special for target shooting, plinking, self defense, and hunting is unmatched, so that is what I picked. But if you really want to hunt elk, you'll need more gun.

Besides S&W, don't forget the Ruger double and single action guns: GP100, Redhawk, Super Redhawk, Blackhawk, and Super Blackhawk.

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    I selected .357 on the chart, before I read you might hunt bear. If you are going to carry for personal protection I saw a especially nice Colt King Cobra .357, at Fort Liberty, in Avon. If you are going to use mostly for hunting, especially if you're hunting bear, I would get no less than a .44 mag.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    As much as I like .357's, and I do, I don't consider it a "large caliber." It's a hopped up .380/.38/9mm "caliber" that can handle heavier bullets. That leaves the other 2 choices by the OP definition.

So, my vote goes for the .44 mag. It's enough and there's a lot of market support for it.

G-Niner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    I voted .357 even though I prefer the .44 Mag for deer hunting, I was assuming you mean one or the other and the .357 is adequate and much more versatile. I have two 686's (4" and 6") and several 29's and 629's in various barrel lengths. The 686 is great, I think you would like it a lot.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the input so far.

Kludge as far as game goes I'd like to go hunting for pig, elk, maybe a black bear, probably overkill a local IN whitetail or too also.

Try shooting a big old pig or an elk or even a black bear with a .357 revolver. Sure it can be done, but I believe you'd be a bit better suited with a .44 or larger. The .357 is magnificent within its element, but not one I'd consider for the big critters.

Also, get a Ruger if you're gonna go with a 44. Again, chasin the big dogs, your gonna want some heavy loads.

Top Bottom