• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    For the past several weeks, I've been having to walk my dog (always on a leash), due to the fact that we're having a major home improvement project done and a panel of the back fence is out so workers can get in and out of the yard. Our dog is a Boston Terrier. She is small (22 lbs.) a very timid dog and doesn't bark or growl, no matter how provoked. Her response to aggressive behavior is to run and hide. We picked her to be a companion and safe around other pets and small children and she is all those things. I'm a long-time dog owner and have taken the time to train my dog.

We've encountered other dogs (some very large) who got or were let loose, but are dog friendly pets. Some of the smaller aggressive ones have barked, growled and nipped at my dog. I usually can read them and handle them pretty well without any extreme measures. However, there is one very large dog though that we occasionally encounter. The owner is a large, muscular man and walks his dog with his wife and baby (in a stroller). When I see them I take my dog to the farthest opposite side of the street. The other dog seems to become vicious upon seeing my dog and it takes all the strength for his owner to keep him under control. I'm worried that one day that big, seemingly vicious, dog is going to get loose and kill my little dog with one bite. I purchased some pepper spray. Any other suggestions?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Common Public area, is there Not a Leash Law? Does the Owner of said dog take appropriate action to restrain his pet? There is a dog specific spray product that may be better suited.

For the past several weeks, I've been having to walk my dog (always on a leash), due to the fact that we're having a major home improvement project done and a panel of the back fence is out so workers can get in and out of the yard. Our dog is a Boston Terrier. She is small (22 lbs.) a very timid dog and doesn't bark or growl, no matter how provoked. Her response to aggressive behavior is to run and hide. We picked her to be a companion and safe around other pets and small children and she is all those things. I'm a long-time dog owner and have taken the time to train my dog.

We've encountered other dogs (some very large) who got or were let loose, but are dog friendly pets. Some of the smaller aggressive ones have barked, growled and nipped at my dog. I usually can read them and handle them pretty well without any extreme measures. However, there is one very large dog though that we occasionally encounter. The owner is a large, muscular man and walks his dog with his wife and baby (in a stroller). When I see them I take my dog to the farthest opposite side of the street. The other dog seems to become vicious upon seeing my dog and it takes all the strength for his owner to keep him under control. I'm worried that one day that big, seemingly vicious, dog is going to get loose and kill my little dog with one bite. I purchased some pepper spray. Any other suggestions?

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    Buy an axe handle and use it like a walking stick. I imagine if it got loose a good whack to the head or just about any part of its body would make it think twice. Also Boston terriers rule.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Common Public area, is there Not a Leash Law? Does the Owner of said dog take appropriate action to restrain his pet? There is a dog specific spray product that may be better suited.
    All dogs are supposed to be on leashes when out and about, but some folks just disregard that. I've had a dog go through an wireless fence to get at my dog. The dog turned out to be docile, but did traumatize my dog with all the sniffing and slobbering. The big dog that concerns me is on a leash, but the ability of the owner to control him is very questionable.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Buy an axe handle and use it like a walking stick. I imagine if it got loose a good whack to the head or just about any part of its body would make it think twice. Also Boston terriers rule.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I feel as though I have all I can handle with the pepper spray and leash. I keep the pepper spray attached to the leash and keep it in my hand when walking my dog. This is our first BT and we took a long time deciding before we decided this breed would be a good fit for us. It turned out to be a perfect fit.

jerryv

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Evansville
    People who allow their dog(s) to run loose are a pet peeve of mine.

We have a fairly large, very protective German Shepherd, and frequently have the opposite problem. When out walking the dog, we are accosted by little dogs who have been allowed to run free. They like to charge and challenge our dog, which causes her to get aggressive in return, making it difficult to control her. We're not afraid of her getting hurt, but don't like having to deal with that kind of scene.

The best thing I can suggest is to be sure your dog is always controlled. When out for a walk, make her walk by your side, don't let her lead you. Be sure she keeps her attention on you, or at least stays submissive to your attention. When you see other dogs, on leash or off, do your best to ignore them and do your best to keep your dog from focusing on them. A challence only takes about one second of eye contact. It's possible that your concern about another dog may make your dog more sensitive to other dogs, and it's possible that your dog's attitude can trigger hostility in another dog. Always proceed as though you own the street and have no interest in other dogs or people. Ooze confidence. If you sense your dog focusing on another dog, snap her out of it as soon as possible, via a word, a sideways snap of the leash, a tap on the butt .. anything to get her attention back on you. If she persists, stop, make her sit .. make her submissive, whatever it takes.

Another option is to introduce yourself to the other dog owner and ask whether he'd be willing to spend a few minutes attempting to introduce the dogs in a controlled manner. He may not want to, but dog owners share a common interest and I'm sure he's not happy with the encounters either.

$.02

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The pepper spray may control the aggressive dog.

The owner may be another problem. Some people with aggressive dogs are aggressive themselves. After you spray his dog, you may have to deal with an owner who wants to attack you.

Do whatever you must to stay safe.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    The pepper spray may control the aggressive dog.

The owner may be another problem. Some people with aggressive dogs are aggressive themselves. After you spray his dog, you may have to deal with an owner who wants to attack you.

Do whatever you must to stay safe.

Thats why you only use half of the spray on the dog:D

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    People who allow their dog(s) to run loose are a pet peeve of mine.

We have a fairly large, very protective German Shepherd, and frequently have the opposite problem. When out walking the dog, we are accosted by little dogs who have been allowed to run free. They like to charge and challenge our dog, which causes her to get aggressive in return, making it difficult to control her. We're not afraid of her getting hurt, but don't like having to deal with that kind of scene.

The best thing I can suggest is to be sure your dog is always controlled. When out for a walk, make her walk by your side, don't let her lead you. Be sure she keeps her attention on you, or at least stays submissive to your attention. When you see other dogs, on leash or off, do your best to ignore them and do your best to keep your dog from focusing on them. A challence only takes about one second of eye contact. It's possible that your concern about another dog may make your dog more sensitive to other dogs, and it's possible that your dog's attitude can trigger hostility in another dog. Always proceed as though you own the street and have no interest in other dogs or people. Ooze confidence. If you sense your dog focusing on another dog, snap her out of it as soon as possible, via a word, a sideways snap of the leash, a tap on the butt .. anything to get her attention back on you. If she persists, stop, make her sit .. make her submissive, whatever it takes.

Another option is to introduce yourself to the other dog owner and ask whether he'd be willing to spend a few minutes attempting to introduce the dogs in a controlled manner. He may not want to, but dog owners share a common interest and I'm sure he's not happy with the encounters either.

$.02
    Thanks for the tips, but as I stated earlier, my dog is trained. She shows fear when another dog shows aggressive behavior, but I can't train that out of her. The dog I'm concerned about starts his behavior as soon as we come in view, like 50-100 yards. I don't think that my behavior or my dog's behavior is causing the problem. My dog responds well to other animals (including cats) who show some restraint. I don't think it would be a good idea to ignore this dog. I need to keep a close watch and be prepared to react if the dog gets loose. IMHO, the owner of other dog should get his dog socialized and keep him from being out in public until he is more manageable.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I must be missing something here. You are concerned about your family member being literally killed.

In Indiana, if a dog isn't leashed and controlled it is fair game.

You are on a gun forum. Are you licensed? Do you carry?

I would let the Big Guy see you OC to educate him.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    One thing about Bostons is that they have one hell of a bite. They may be tiny but they've got jaws of steel. Still, I don't blame you for being apprehensive. I'd carry the pepper spray and a baseball bat or other similar device. I know it sounds brutal, but if their bigger dog attacks yours all you have to say is "batter up!" and one whack to the other dog's ribs or head would be enough to end the situation right then and there. I would think pepper spray would work but at the same time some animals just lose it when they become aggressive.

Plus, the bat AND pepper spray will surely deter the guy and his wife from making fools of themselves.

PS - Can't you guys tell that I'm neighbor of the year in my hood?

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Whenever I walk in my neighborhood I go armed. Two knives, folder and fixed; my carry firearm, flashlight, etc... I don't have a care in the world. My doberman doesn't bark at people and only barks at dogs that show aggression towards him or me, he never leaves stride regardless. Are there fenced dogs that can get out and would be problems? Of course but that's part of the reason I have EDC. It's not just criminals that can put you in harm, you have to be aware and vigilant at all times.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Lots of ways to handle it. If legal, arm yourself and use whatever means you deem reasonable to protect yourself and dog. I love dogs and would never want to hurt or kill one, but I do walk armed and will not be bitten by any dog. A good quarter staff is nice to walk with and a good tool against dog or human if need be. Also, few people look at a staff as any type of weapon.

Top Bottom