• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm really more concerned with what I would do if I caught someone in the act of this. I'm boiling just thinking about it.

It's really trivial too, NOTHING is in our cars that is worth anything. Nothing is visible. Someone must have seen her put her laptop in the trunk in the past and ran with it. It's a 5yr old work laptop that needed replacing badly. The only thing she is out is some extra headache at work due to working in the banking industry. Not even sure if I want to make an insurance claim.

Unless she is having to pay for it, I don't think I'd file it against my insurance but some of that will be on what her work wants her to do... bigger question is, does the bank enforce encryption on the laptop and is there any customer data local on the drive... that could make for a bad situation based on the answers.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Shoulda rolled the crime lab, dust for prints, canvas door to door, curb stomp a neighbor, and collect DNA via stool samples off all the neighbors, oh, shoot a dog, an curb stomp! Forgot to add, collect video of the entire town, and run it through facial recognition via Abby at NCIS's crime lab, her stuff is QUICK!

Indy's ~150 homicides keep Crime Lab from doing much else.

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    Unfortunately, I think that will be more common in the nicer areas. We moved to an apartment in Westfield thinking it would be pretty nice considering the surrounding homes are $200k+. We moved here the first year it was built and not many neighbors. We didn't realize that it allowed section 8 (no offense to anyone on it). There has been a lot of crime here from the kids and quite a few fights. I have caught one of the kids checking car doors and confronted the parent and was accused of racial profiling. It's everywhere nowdays unfortunately.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well, that sucks.

One time I had a bag stolen out of my car in my driveway. I'm sure they thought they were getting a laptop, but what they really got were business ethics textbooks from a class I was teaching for Indiana Wesleyan....joke was on them.

This was when I lived in South Haven (IN). Leaving something in an unlocked car in South Haven was on me. In Zionsville, I'm sure nothing like that would happen....wait.

Similar story here. Only it was toddler toys and letter blocks. It was the wife's car and she worked as an early childhood development social worker. She got her stuff back; the kids ran to the woods and opened it hoping to find good stuff. Left it laying there. Other kids found it and returned it to us using personal info they found in the bag.

The only real loss was a $250 bill to replace the shattered window.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Oh, a work laptop?? It better be encrypted then. I've had a work laptop stolen from a custom van once. Thieves busted out an expensive irreplaceable side picture window and ravaged everything of value. Crime lab didn't even want a picture of the foot pint on the running board nor the greasy fingerprint. :xmad:

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Breakdown:

We live in a nice apartment home community in Zionsville. They are apartments, but have their own garages, driveways, etc.

More than likely our own damn fault, but either Sunday or Monday, someone walked up to my GF's car, realized it was open (guessing either myself or her accidentally didn't lock it), went into the trunk, and grabbed the laptop bag out of it.

She was really sick this weekend, and the car didn't go anywhere. Just really pisses me off. Also, it's a huge deal for her as she works in the banking industry. She almost always brings the laptop into the apartment, but for whatever reason this weekend she didn't.

Also makes you wonder, I have left the garage wide open for hours at a time with thousands of dollars of stuff in it, tools, bikes, gun stuff, etc. Nobody has ever touched anything.

Wonder if I should start sleeping in the trunk geared up like an operator.

All you need is a Trunk Monkey...

[video=youtube;0iqDZp-3ZLI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iqDZp-3ZLI[/video]

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Bummer.

While we are told not to leave valuables in our car sometimes it can't be avoided. I always worry about Scumbag thieves every time I have to leave my gun in the car.

Gun Free Zone = Gun Theif Shopping Zone (no background checks required)

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Oh, a work laptop?? It better be encrypted then. I've had a work laptop stolen from a custom van once. Thieves busted out an expensive irreplaceable side picture window and ravaged everything of value. Crime lab didn't even want a picture of the foot pint on the running board nor the greasy fingerprint. :xmad:

Not encrypted, but nothing local on it either. Not sure who doesn't encrypt hard drives on laptops anymore, but maybe her new one will be encrypted. Not the best practice, but to get anything they would need her password, her VPN token, and her VPN passphrase.

Realized some even more weird behavior. She had several zip up bags in the back seat, think work out bags, victoria's secret bags, etc. None of those were grabbed, doesn't look like they were even looked at. Almost like they went right for the laptop and that was it.

I've turned off the trunk release from inside both of our cars. Only way you can get in now is to break open the glove box and turn it on, or have access to the key fob.

Still REALLY pisses me off a day later....realized this morning when I was warming up my car that I no longer feel safe leaving it out there running for 3 minutes while I brush my teeth and put on my shoes.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Currently the most common crime in the city. People walk around and check to see if cars are unlocked. If they are, they go through and take anything of value. If your garage door opener is in the car, they'll take it and wait for you to leave, then enter your garage. I had security cameras at my old house. It happened in my neighborhood about twice a week.

Never leave anything in the car, especially the garage door opener.

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Currently the most common crime in the city. People walk around and check to see if cars are unlocked. If they are, they go through and take anything of value. If your garage door opener is in the car, they'll take it and wait for you to leave, then enter your garage. I had security cameras at my old house. It happened in my neighborhood about twice a week.

Man never even thought about the garage door opener. Thankfully that was not touched.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Someone must have seen her put her laptop in the trunk in the past and ran with it. It's a 5yr old work laptop that needed replacing badly. The only thing she is out is some extra headache at work due to working in the banking industry.

Having been a victim of identity theft in 1996, and all the problems that involved for the next 5 years, I cringe when I hear of people losing work computers. A bankers work computer has a lot more on it that casual emails and work schedules. I hardly ever use my credit card, and when I do I only use it at places I know, with established brick and mortar locations, but I still got my credit card hacked this year.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Not encrypted, but nothing local on it either. Not sure who doesn't encrypt hard drives on laptops anymore, but maybe her new one will be encrypted. Not the best practice, but to get anything they would need her password, her VPN token, and her VPN passphrase.

Realized some even more weird behavior. She had several zip up bags in the back seat, think work out bags, victoria's secret bags, etc. None of those were grabbed, doesn't look like they were even looked at. Almost like they went right for the laptop and that was it.

I've turned off the trunk release from inside both of our cars. Only way you can get in now is to break open the glove box and turn it on, or have access to the key fob.

Still REALLY pisses me off a day later....realized this morning when I was warming up my car that I no longer feel safe leaving it out there running for 3 minutes while I brush my teeth and put on my shoes.

Hopefully no cached info, not even Outlook ost/pst, etc files.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

It's not like CSI for sure.

Man never even thought about the garage door opener. Thankfully that was not touched.

I no longer keep the regular garage door opener clicker in the car.
    I use this (see below) so that I can just type in the code.
    The same one is outside the garage door so that I can open it without having to open the car.

Top Bottom