• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Hey everyone. I have a bolt action .308 (Remington) that I got a while back. I believe it is in prime condition, never been fired. Well I was watching the movie Shooter this past weekend and it finally dawned on me that I need to get this rifle out and shoot to see how accurate I can get it to.

A co-worker suggested lapping the bore of the barrel, in addition to the bolt. He suggested maybe using this bullets to help with this:

BROWNELLS : SUPERIOR SHOOTING : FINALFINISH™ SYSTEM - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

He also said that you can use lapping compounds with regular bullets as well.

BROWNELLS : BROWNELLS : GARNET LAPPING COMPOUNDS - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

BROWNELLS : BROWNELLS : LAPPING COMPOUNDS - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

Does anyone have any suggestions of their own? Is there anyone in the central Indiana area that does this for people? If so, does anyone know their price range? If I get the bullets myself, I will need to have them loaded into the shell casings. Anyone know of anyone who loads .308?

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Does anyone have any suggestions of their own?

I suggest leaving it alone and keeping abrasives as far away from it as possible, unless absolutely needed to correct bore uniformity issues - and only then after I'd done considerable shooting with it to determine it was actually causing a problem.

My single measured experience with the Tubbs kit was unfavorable, but that's only one data point.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd stick with the Beartooth Bullets lapping procedure.

Lots of reviews of the Tubb's system for your perusal here:

Customer Reviews

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Agreed. Don't lap it unless it's needed. If it shoots under an inch at 100 yards after break-in, be happy with it.

Josh <><

townmarshal

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    indy
    I concur with no lapping. My experience with this procedure was also a negative. It also I believe, elongates the leade, commonly called the throat or jump, leading to premature degradation of accuracy.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    I suggest leaving it alone and keeping abrasives as far away from it as possible, unless absolutely needed to correct bore uniformity issues - and only then after I'd done considerable shooting with it to determine it was actually causing a problem.

My single measured experience with the Tubbs kit was unfavorable, but that's only one data point.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd stick with the Beartooth Bullets lapping procedure.

Lots of reviews of the Tubb's system for your perusal here:

Customer Reviews

+1

I wouldn't even think about lapping until you have atleast shot it and shot it quite a bit.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    rem 308

shoot it before you do anything. if you reload spend your time trying different loads. it will probably shoot fine. dont worry about cleaning it to much. shot my savage 308 a couple weeks ago. shot a total of 60 rounds in 2 times at the range. never cleaned between shots or after first 30. last 5 shots of the 60 were best group of the loads tested. .588" for 5 shots. now get out there and shoot it and let us know how it went

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Hey everyone. I have a bolt action .308 (Remington) that I got a while back. I believe it is in prime condition, never been fired. Well I was watching the movie Shooter this past weekend and it finally dawned on me that I need to get this rifle out and shoot to see how accurate I can get it to.

A co-worker suggested lapping the bore of the barrel, in addition to the bolt. He suggested maybe using this bullets to help with this:

BROWNELLS : SUPERIOR SHOOTING : FINALFINISH™ SYSTEM - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

He also said that you can use lapping compounds with regular bullets as well.

BROWNELLS : BROWNELLS : GARNET LAPPING COMPOUNDS - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

BROWNELLS : BROWNELLS : LAPPING COMPOUNDS - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

Does anyone have any suggestions of their own? Is there anyone in the central Indiana area that does this for people? If so, does anyone know their price range? If I get the bullets myself, I will need to have them loaded into the shell casings. Anyone know of anyone who loads .308?

Don't do any thing until you've tested the rifle to establish just exactly how accurate it is right now.

Order of the day is a couple or three brands of factory ammo, two or three sand bags, a realestate sign, masking tape, a dozen scope alignment target with the four black squares, a hundred yard range.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    now get out there and shoot it and let us know how it went

OK. I took the rifle to the 100 yard range down at Atterbury. I was impressed with the range. I haven't been since they re-did the place. I took the advice of most folks here and didn't do anything to the rifle. I got some targets that burst colors at Walmart and attached them to the target. I can't hit anything. I was about ready to cover the entire target board with these targets, to see if the scope was even on target at all. Thankfully one of the range instructors came out and said "Your gonna have to hit those targets sometime today." He said I was about 12-15" way left.

I should have asked for his help before, as I knew he had a spotting scope and was watching people shoot. Anyway, thanks to that guy, I wasn't going to sit there and waste ammo. So I did the clicks and finally got onto the targets. By this time, my shoulder was killing me. I am going to have to look up on line how to properly hold these rifles, as I don't think the kick should cause that much pain..but maybe so. Also, because of the soreness of my shoulder, I finally had to stop shooting. My shoulder was so sore, I was starting to badly anticipate the shot. I think my scope is set pretty well know. Using safety glasses made it hard to really look through the scope, so next time I might use my sunglasses instead (lot smaller). At the end, I was at least able to keep the shots inside a 2"-3" square area.

Now I will clean it, then take it back down in a couple months when it gets cooler and my shoulder isn't so damn sore.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    .......By this time, my shoulder was killing me. I am going to have to look up on line how to properly hold these rifles, as I don't think the kick should cause that much pain..but maybe so......

You said 308, I am assuming 308Win.? Not familiar with Remingtons Factory line up but which rifle is it, how light is it? Not sure about anyone else but I takes ALOT of 308 rds to make my shoulder sore. As far as how to hold it, first thing I want to tell you is while standing up or sitting up straight Lift your right arm(left if you are a south paw) parallel to the ground, relax and move your arm to where it is pointing in front of you. Now, between your neck and the inside of your right arm, you feel that natural depression or pocket, thats where you need that buttstock. Well I should say that is the general area. As far as how frim to hold the rifle, well that depends on several things. I always suggest snug but some like a softer or firmer hold. How much recoil also helps decide this as most like a firmer hold on the rifle if it has heavy recoil. I tend to shot from the bench a lot so I use very little rifle contact, about enough to insure contact and thats about it.

2-3" isn't that bad, I mean it is not great but you said you were anticipating the shots a lot so that could be one reason. How many rounds did you fire? If you fired quite a few rounds fouling could also be a factor. I only mention this because I have watched many people but round after round downrange and have issues with accuracy and not even bother swabbing the bore.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I think that it can help with cleaning if not improve accuracy. Definitely not to be done in a custom barrel and definitely not to be done by someone who doesn't really know how to do it.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    You said 308, I am assuming 308Win.? Not familiar with Remingtons Factory line up but which rifle is it, how light is it? Not sure about anyone else but I takes ALOT of 308 rds to make my shoulder sore. As far as how to hold it, first thing I want to tell you is while standing up or sitting up straight Lift your right arm(left if you are a south paw) parallel to the ground, relax and move your arm to where it is pointing in front of you. Now, between your neck and the inside of your right arm, you feel that natural depression or pocket, thats where you need that buttstock. Well I should say that is the general area. As far as how frim to hold the rifle, well that depends on several things. I always suggest snug but some like a softer or firmer hold. How much recoil also helps decide this as most like a firmer hold on the rifle if it has heavy recoil. I tend to shot from the bench a lot so I use very little rifle contact, about enough to insure contact and thats about it.

2-3" isn't that bad, I mean it is not great but you said you were anticipating the shots a lot so that could be one reason. How many rounds did you fire? If you fired quite a few rounds fouling could also be a factor. I only mention this because I have watched many people but round after round downrange and have issues with accuracy and not even bother swabbing the bore.

Thanks for the tips. I think I wasn't putting the rifle stock on the correct area of the shoulder. I had this issue before when shooting shotguns, then a co-worker corrected the issue and it was amazing the difference I felt.

The rifle is likely right on, but the 2-3" was me. The first corrected scope shot (after a few minor adjustments here and there) was pretty much dead on, so I am fairly comfortable with it now.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    OK. I took the rifle to the 100 yard range down at Atterbury. I was impressed with the range. I haven't been since they re-did the place. I took the advice of most folks here and didn't do anything to the rifle. I got some targets that burst colors at Walmart and attached them to the target. I can't hit anything. I was about ready to cover the entire target board with these targets, to see if the scope was even on target at all. Thankfully one of the range instructors came out and said "Your gonna have to hit those targets sometime today." He said I was about 12-15" way left.

Seen it repeated a hundred times. Newbie blowing all his ammo shot after shot at a target a hundred yards away with a gun and amo he's never pulled the trigger on before. I just don't get it why nearly every single person has to go through the same thing, many of them will turn around and do the exact same thing all over again with the very next gun they buy.

25, 50, 100 and you'd have been on the paper at 100 in three shots.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Seen it repeated a hundred times. Newbie blowing all his ammo shot after shot at a target a hundred yards away with a gun and amo he's never pulled the trigger on before. I just don't get it why nearly every single person has to go through the same thing, many of them will turn around and do the exact same thing all over again with the very next gun they buy.

25, 50, 100 and you'd have been on the paper at 100 in three shots.

I felt really stupid if I used _all_ my ammo in that manner. I am not a very social person, and I could see a dust cloud behind target _and_ the first shot actually hit one of the old paper targets. I figured I was off maybe four or five inches, but I didn't know I was _that_ far off. I take the first shot as totally dumb luck, being nervous and not knowing what to expect with the first shot.

Come to think of it, I really wish I had done some research on getting a rifle scoop aimed correctly. It makes a ton of sense to start short and work your way further out. For some reason, I just didn't think that scopes would be that far off after mounting. I mean the thing _looks_ straight...should that mean it was OK. I know, I know...stupid move on my part. Thankfully I only wasted 10-15 rounds.

Oh, I likely would have been on target had I been wearing smaller glasses, had the stock in the right area of my shoulder, and had the scope on the lowest magnification power. That way I might have been able to see where my shots were hitting, with the wider field of view and all.

Oh, and thanks to people like you, I _won't_ be one of those guys who will repeat this mistake next time. Thanks for the shooting tips!!!

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    There is always a learning curve with a new firearm, luckily since you are a member here it won't be such a long learning curve in the future because of all the support and wonderfully knowledgable people here.;)

Kimber7man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lawrence
    Shoot it to get the scope sighted in, then clean it. Shoot it again for groups, and clean it. It should get easier to clean after anywhere from 20-50 rounds. 308 is not a real hotrod round, so IMO your barrel should last longer than you if you're just using it for hunting!

Top Bottom