• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I did a search for "Laporte Fair' and nothing useful came back(related to this anyway lol)

This came across my FB from a friend that lives up in the "Region"....hadn't heard about it in the news down in southern IN.

On Thursday, July 11, 2013 at approximately 9:04 pm La Porte County Sheriff’s Deputies, who were providing law enforcement services at the La Porte County Fair, were approached by a concerned citizen who reported information regarding a potential explosive device that was in possession of a juvenile who was in attendance. The complainant also stated that it was believed that the suspect was planning to detonate the device near the carnival rides. A description of the suspect was provided and within several minutes, the La Porte County Regional Dispatch Center received a 911 call from an anonymous caller that related the same information.

Acting upon the information, Sheriff’s Deputies quickly swept the fairgrounds and within seven (7) minutes located the suspect and a suspicious device was located within a backpack that he was wearing. The backpack was removed from the suspect and he was secured in handcuffs. While further searching the suspect, another juvenile male, who had been standing nearby began to argue with deputies and was loud and unruly, disrupting the deputies from investigating this matter. That juvenile, who was sixteen (16) years of age, refused to quiet and due to his disruptive behavior, was taken into custody for Disorderly Conduct. While attempting to secure him he kicked one of the deputies and resisted and therefore sprayed with Oleoresin Capsicum (OC or pepper spray) and he soon became complaint. He was also charged with Battery to a Police Officer and Resisting Law Enforcement and ultimately transported to the La Porte County Juvenile Services Center.

The suspicious device was removed from the populated area of the fairgrounds and the Porter County Bomb Squad was called upon to dismantle the device. In addition, investigators from the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATF) were called. Upon arrival technicians with the Porter County Bomb Squad dismantled the device and confirmed that it was indeed an explosive device.

Investigators from the La Porte County Sheriff’s Office joined with investigators from the BATF and began to further investigate the incident and ascertained that a second suspect was responsible for manufacturing the device. He was soon located at his home and taken into custody without incident. One juvenile, a sixteen (16) year old male from La Porte, was charged with Possession of a Destructive Device, a class “C” felony. The other, also sixteen (16) years old, was charged with Manufacturing a Destructive Device, a class “C” felony. Both were transported to the Juvenile Services Center.

Sheriff Michael Mollenhauer praised the willingness of citizens to seek out Sheriff’s Deputies and report this information as their reports undoubtedly thwarted a violent tragedy from occurring at the heavily populated La Porte County Fair.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I say at 16, they should know better than to build a bomb and blow it up in a crowded place. I really hope they are tried as adults and go to big boy prison where they belong.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Was there with wife and child on Thursday. Left around 8:00, never saw the commotion.

Gotta say the fair is full of classy individuals anymore.

I was there wednesday with the wife and the boy. We left before all the pot heads (Willie Nelson) showed up. Scary stuff...

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    What a crock. It was just a sparkler bomb, not intended to harm anyone. It was kids settings off fireworks. I've seen these things in action, and yes while it could be deadly, not much more so than a mortar or the like from a fireworks stand.

Explosive ID'd as 'sparkler bomb' - Page 3 - wsbt.com

No, It's not a crock. It's one thing to set a sparkler bomb off in an empty lot but doing it with a bunch of unsuspecting people around is dangerous and they should face some sort of punishment.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Yeah. Sparkler bombs are f'n loud. You could at the least cause irreversible hearing damage, not to mention cause a stampede. People in large crowds tend to behave stupidly, introduce fear into that dumb****ery and watch out.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    No, It's not a crock. It's one thing to set a sparkler bomb off in an empty lot but doing it with a bunch of unsuspecting people around is dangerous and they should face some sort of punishment.

Yeah. Sparkler bombs are f'n loud. You could at the least cause irreversible hearing damage, not to mention cause a stampede. People in large crowds tend to behave stupidly, introduce fear into that dumb****ery and watch out.

Cicero said it's believed their intentions were not to harm or maim anyone.

Stupid Yes. Teenage Bad Judgment Yes. Punishment, sure, but you can probably skip the felony on this one if they have a clean record.

It's a firework, think M-80, not much different. The fairgrounds are quite large and the intention was to show some friends how 'cool' a sparkler bomb away from the crowd. . Jackal was playing in the grandstand along with the crowd/ride/fair background noise, the masses never would have heard it

The what a crock comment was in reference to the media once again making a story out of nothing. They originally reported it as terrorists wanting to blow up a ride at the fair. That's a far cry from some kids with some fireworks.

Last edited:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I've made them before. I've screwed around with flash powder too. I was around the same age. I was stupid, but never so stupid as to set one off in a crowded place.

Top Bottom