• ...and so much more!
  • MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    you should look at , if you haven't already, ParkPlace behind Metropolis. in Avon there are nicer complexes behind Goodwill at Rockville and Ronald Reagan pkwy, or the ones behind WalMart in the 9600 block of Rockville Rd. there are also decent units at Rockville and 625E across from the police station.

there is also a decent complex at 10th and raceway, just west of the intersection.

What he said. There are several nice complexes in that area.

Mike G

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Greenwood
    I'm curious as to what the stated consequences would be if a tenant was found to be carrying on the apartment complex property?

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    What VUPD said. Saratoga crossing is fairly new as are those mentioned. The clubhouse at SC is a polling place for elections but how often is that right. Roll through town, there's always signs in front of houses for rent.

SethDennis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Indiana
    It says they will terminate our lease if they see it, but like I said before that was just in the handbook they gave us. I haven't signed the lease yet so I don't know if its even in the lease.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Well, I'd look at the alternatives provided, but also I would read the lease very carefully before I signed. Could be all kinds of things in there you'll want to know about. If it's not in the lease, and the lease doesn't mention anything about "also subject to terms as may be periodically updated in Handbook, provided" then legally, you may be ok...but rather than deal with the hassle later I'd pick a gun friendly complex. Remember, these yahoos that run the place will be able to enter your apartment at will when you are gone under the excuse of "maintenance", etc; so it would be best just to look elsewhere.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Whenever I sign a lease, I go through it with a dry marker and black out the stuff I do not like. They always complain, but they have never refused to take my rent money that is always paid on time. If you look there is always things about gun powder, visitors, and them giving access to contractors without notifying you. I mark right through it.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Whenever I sign a lease, I go through it with a dry marker and black out the stuff I do not like. They always complain, but they have never refused to take my rent money that is always paid on time. If you look there is always things about gun powder, visitors, and them giving access to contractors without notifying you. I mark right through it.

Hah, I do the same thing! Any contract I'm offered usually ends up marked up like a redacted report from the CIA - and yep, in the end, almost every contract ends up accepted by the seller. There is so much bull**** boilerplate in contracts nowadays...

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    well....

As far as you not carrying, they don't have the authority to dictate that. It's a right afforded to you by the 2nd Amendment. However, if you sign a contract stating that you will not carry then the consequences of carrying are that they might terminate sed contract. So unless the terms of that contract provide you with bonuses in excess of the negatives...in this case you not carrying on their property. So, are you willing to give up your 2nd Amendment rights on a couple acres of land for that lease or do you want to maintain your rights in your apartment home and around it?

It's your call, and your decision. I wouldn't read too much into it. I've owned in complexes that were "No Guns Allowed" without issue. Remember, typically it's maintenance personnel entering the premises and they generally don't give a rip, so if you don't show it they likely won't know it.....then again you could get evicted.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    It says they will terminate our lease if they see it, but like I said before that was just in the handbook they gave us. I haven't signed the lease yet so I don't know if its even in the lease.

I would make sure the lease doesn't say something to the effect of:
    "I agree to abide by any and all policies set forth in the renters handbook provided to me from XYXYXY Apartment Management"

If it does they *could* use what is in the hand book against you as well.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    A lease is a contract and you can contract to anything that is not illegal. However, the language of the contract may be just boilerplate, aske the landlord directly if he opjects to you having and carrying if not just cross out and initial the offending line.
    You might also point out the contradictions of the lease that you pointed out to us.

SethDennis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I'll just wait and see what the lease says and if it doesn't say anything about guns I'll go ahead and do it. I won't be going around flaunting my guns anyway and unless the maintenance man can get in my safe he won't see the guns. Thanks again.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Just like the Home Owners Association, if you agree to it, then they can try to do something. Is it worth fighting over? As pointed out, there are plenty of other places out there that will not have this. I have signed leases in Texas, and New Jersey, and neither said anything about firearms. Maybe I was just lucky finding the ones that I did. Granted, I also had to find ones that were pet friendly, so maybe that was part of it too.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    From what I know of leases, there isn't much about them that is binding once things get to court. They are almost pointless in a way.

However, I would never live in a place that so willingly tramples on a basic right. Do they not allow you access to water either?

Depends on what it is and the circumstances that led to the court presence.

The lease may not be able to compel the specific behavior from the tenant, but it absolutely is grounds for legal and enforceable eviction for violating the terms of the lease.

Exactly this.
    No, not exactly. The lease may contradict ANY provisions of law except those where IC specifically states that the lease may not contradict it. Whether or not a judge will actually enforce it is another story.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    IANAL, but I would imagine they could not enforce this rule inside your apartment. IC guarantees you have a right to defend yourself, especially in your dwelling and since the apartment becomes your home they cannot enforce that part. On the property, private property rights kick in, but inside the law would be in your favor. For people that say in your apartment is still their private property, it's not. Once you sign the lease it's your private property, they just have interest in that property. They cannot just come in without notifying you, which shows it's no longer their private property.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    IANAL, but I would imagine they could not enforce this rule inside your apartment. IC guarantees you have a right to defend yourself, especially in your dwelling and since the apartment becomes your home they cannot enforce that part. On the property, private property rights kick in, but inside the law would be in your favor. For people that say in your apartment is still their private property, it's not. Once you sign the lease it's your private property, they just have interest in that property. They cannot just come in without notifying you, which shows it's no longer their private property.

And you can't knock out a wall or physically modify the structure without their permission. Therefore it is not you property.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Try blanking that line out with a sharpie, sign it and return, it. Be sure and date and initial the blanked out line. IANAL but I have heard that doing this on contracts is legal and valid. Supposedly if they accept your application and with the signed off portion then they have effectively agreed to your modification of the terms.

:dunno:

Hey, it could work!!

Top Bottom