• ...and so much more!
  • SethDennis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Indiana
    Hello,

I am moving to Plainfield here in a couple of weeks and in my lease paperwork it says that I cannot carry a gun. The management lady said there is no security patrols or anything, but then the lease goes on to say that my safety is my responisibility! Can someone tell me if my landlord can tell me that I cannot carry? Thanks.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    If you sign the lease agreement then you have agreed to everything in it, and could be evicted if you don't follow there terms. Does it say you can't even have one in the apartment or that you just can't carry one outside the apartment?

I would look for another apartment.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I suppose you have to look at the importance you place on protecting you and yours and make a decision. I would carry, not flaunt it, and protect myself if need be. If you have to defend your life you will probably be happy to be alive and IF they decide to enforce that part of the lease you can then deal with that. They probably just want it in the lease to cover their butts from liability.

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    As stated above, it's most likely for liability. I've never signed an apt. lease, so I don't know if this is common or uncommon. I'd look around though, and see what if other apartments mention anything about it. Though I'm sure it really wouldn't matter. Just don't OC at the office when you go to pay your rent.

Good luck and let us know your decision.

Gulley

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Like already stated, their property their rules.
    No way in hell I would sign that lease, but that's just me.

Agreed. There are plenty of places to live that don't require those sort of stipulations. I would've never signed tha either. Start looking for a new place. Don't want to be evicted and out on your can for a couple days while you scrouge to buy a place.

After you leave let everyone know what the name of this place is ! :patriot:

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Like already stated, their property their rules.
    No way in hell I would sign that lease, but that's just me.

Same thing here. I understand it is "just for their liability" but unless they operate an onsite daycare or similar program I see no reason for them to even bother approaching the subject in the contract (unless that management company or location has a particular history where they feel they need to address the issue -- in which case I would definitely want to avoid them)

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Actually, it isn't an infringement at all. Private properly owners have rights too and can bar guns, with the relatively new exception for employers who can no longer restrict guns in employees cars on business-owned parking. The infringement you are thinking of are ones made by the government, which isn't directly involved here.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    From what I know of leases, there isn't much about them that is binding once things get to court. They are almost pointless in a way.

However, I would never live in a place that so willingly tramples on a basic right. Do they not allow you access to water either?

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I suppose you have to look at the importance you place on protecting you and yours and make a decision. I would carry, not flaunt it, and protect myself if need be. If you have to defend your life you will probably be happy to be alive and IF they decide to enforce that part of the lease you can then deal with that. They probably just want it in the lease to cover their butts from liability.

You sir are correct.
    If you can't find another apartment just do as described above. That is, unless you a a staunch open carrier, then you'll just have to find another place. They own those apartments, seems to me they can draw up the contract the way they want.

Mr Freeman???

SethDennis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks for all the answers. I shouldn't have said it was in the lease it stated it in the handbook they gave me. I haven't signed the lease yet, so I don't know if it says it in the actual lease. I plan on still carrying, but i rarely open carry anyway. Any more suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

SethDennis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Indiana
    Does anyone know of a better apartment complex or a house for rent in the Avon or Plainfield area so I don't have to mess with this place? Thanks.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    A lease cannot trump the law, if the lease states that they
    can hold your property as calateral for unpaid rent and the law say's
    they cant. They cant.

Got that right from a lawers lips.

Jimmy

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    As stated above, it's most likely for liability. I've never signed an apt. lease, so I don't know if this is common or uncommon. I'd look around though, and see what if other apartments mention anything about it. Though I'm sure it really wouldn't matter. Just don't OC at the office when you go to pay your rent.

Good luck and let us know your decision.

Gulley

My apartments follow the law. I called to ask their policy and was told "I guess we just follow the law"

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    who h apartment complex is it that you are currently looking at? I may be able to recommend other comparable complexes if I know what to compare to.

SethDennis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Indiana
    Ok my wife and I have looked at a few apartments in the Plainfield area and the one we looked at that we liked the most was Saratoga Crossings and this is the one that said we cannot carry here. If anyone knows of anything comparable to these please let me know and it doesn't have to be in Plainfield either. I just want it fairly close to the airport where my job is. Please let me know any suggestions. Thanks.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    you should look at , if you haven't already, ParkPlace behind Metropolis. in Avon there are nicer complexes behind Goodwill at Rockville and Ronald Reagan pkwy, or the ones behind WalMart in the 9600 block of Rockville Rd. there are also decent units at Rockville and 625E across from the police station.

there is also a decent complex at 10th and raceway, just west of the intersection.

Top Bottom