• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Just curious at the moment, I'm want to set a goal of getting some land soon and had a few questions.

Where in Indiana can I move to that won't have any rules or code enforcement, that can be had for a fair price? Closer to highway to large city is a plus...

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    All land will be restricted by some form of code enforcement. If you are outside the incorporated areas of a town or city, not in a platted subdivision and in a county without rural zoning, these will be minimized. No matter where you go, things like building codes, septic system requirements and other State and County regulations will still overlay the land.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Uh, no where?

You'll always be bound my county and state laws/codes. Can't really escape that. Some counties are much more relaxed, though. Avoid incorporated areas (towns), as they will have a whole new set of ordinances and building codes.

I've been scouting around for some property as well. I've learned that anything near a major town is pricey, anything near a major road is pricey, anything that is tillable is pricey, and anything with easy utility access is pricey.

Cheap land seems to be hilly, no or little usable timber, no water (ponds/lake/stream), easement access (no road frontage), and some part locked up in a conservation easement or timber program (can't be developed). That seems to be in the approx. $2K per acre range, and in 10-20 acre parcels (or larger). Just what I've seen.....

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    and some part locked up in a conservation easement or timber program (can't be developed
    Can't be developed while in the program but not necessarily "locked up in". For classified forest land you can buy it out of the program by paying the back property taxes up to 10 years prior. You can also do "some" improvements to classfied forest land but that will greatly depend on your district forester and how extensive you plan to "improve" things. AFAIK you can create improvements for recreational purposes and most district foresters won't have a problem considering a shooting range a recreational purpose as long as it is minimally invasive. You also don't have to buy all of the land out of the program. You can buy out onyl the portion you want to improve. For example, if I purchased 300 acres of classified forest and wanted to build a house I would only have to remove the part where my house/lawn/out-buildings sit. All other parts can remain in the program which equals property tax savings for you.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Parke County only has septic system codes/inspections. You can do electrical and add ons as you see fit.

I got my 5 acres, 3 bedroom house, 2 garages for $34.5k and right around 4 acres is timber.... wild cherry trees...hundreds if not thousands of them. I live right on US41 and a cornfield and section of woods to the Wabash River. Good luck fishing right now though....you would need a submarine! :laugh:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Uh, no where?

You'll always be bound my county and state laws/codes. Can't really escape that. Some counties are much more relaxed, though. Avoid incorporated areas (towns), as they will have a whole new set of ordinances and building codes.

I've been scouting around for some property as well. I've learned that anything near a major town is pricey, anything near a major road is pricey, anything that is tillable is pricey, and anything with easy utility access is pricey.

Cheap land seems to be hilly, no or little usable timber, no water (ponds/lake/stream), easement access (no road frontage), and some part locked up in a conservation easement or timber program (can't be developed). That seems to be in the approx. $2K per acre range, and in 10-20 acre parcels (or larger). Just what I've seen.....

Can't be developed while in the program but not necessarily "locked up in". For classified forest land you can buy it out of the program by paying the back property taxes up to 10 years prior. You can also do "some" improvements to classfied forest land but that will greatly depend on your district forester and how extensive you plan to "improve" things. AFAIK you can create improvements for recreational purposes and most district foresters won't have a problem considering a shooting range a recreational purpose as long as it is minimally invasive. You also don't have to buy all of the land out of the program. You can buy out onyl the portion you want to improve. For example, if I purchased 300 acres of classified forest and wanted to build a house I would only have to remove the part where my house/lawn/out-buildings sit. All other parts can remain in the program which equals property tax savings for you.

More reasons for me not to put my land into any conservation crap.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    More reasons for me not to put my land into any conservation crap.
    It's not for everybody. Different people buy land for different reasons.

For me, I would want land to hunt, gather, enjoy, shoot on, and harvest timber from. I can do all of those with classified forest and not have to pay property taxes on it unless I wanted to pull it out of the program.

For any piece of land I wanted to use for more than what is allowed, it still rather cheap to just pay the back taxes (taxes on unimproved land are dirt cheap) and take it out.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Thanks for the response guys, I appreciate picking your brains. For you guys who live out in the country, how much do you pay in taxes annually?

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    All land will be restricted by some form of code enforcement. If you are outside the incorporated areas of a town or city, not in a platted subdivision and in a county without rural zoning, these will be minimized. No matter where you go, things like building codes, septic system requirements and other State and County regulations will still overlay the land.

While what you are saying is true, Snorko - Washington County outside of the city limits of Salem will get you a place with virtually NO regulation. Or at least as close as you will get anywhere in Indiana. Believe me. The only thing that they get up in arms about - don't try to build a chicken feeding operation near your neighbors...

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Warren, Fountian, Park, Vermillion all have fairly unrestricted codes. Of course it also happens to be the least populated part of the state, coincidence? I think not.
    I was born and raised in St joe county and can tell you a horror story about zoning laws. Our family relocated to the least populated area of Indiana and I can tell you that it was worth it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    While what you are saying is true, Snorko - Washington County outside of the city limits of Salem will get you a place with virtually NO regulation. Or at least as close as you will get anywhere in Indiana. Believe me. The only thing that they get up in arms about - don't try to build a chicken feeding operation near your neighbors...

Yep no zoning in Washington County.

Avoid Clark County.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The wife and I have been thinking about getting some land to build a house on, something not in an incorporated area, preferably 2~5 acres.

I don't even know how to start looking... Guess I better get that figured out.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Mike, that's the point of this thread...I have an idea what 3 acres looks like, I want st least that.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Yeah, any insight into the process that you come across - I'd be glad to hear it. Wife seems to believe the only way to find land is through a realtor but I'm sure there are other ways.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom