Lame Saturday Night Activities: How Bad Is It?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So, there I was . . . I had been struggling with the same problem for a few hours. I was evaluating the integral of cosh(x)/(4-sinh^2(x)) dx from ln5 to ln6. I did a u substitution for sinh(x), which left me with the integral of 1/(4 - u^2) du (with limits of integration adjusted to 12/5 to 35/12).

I sat and looked at that for a while. You won't find that form in most tables of common integrals. So finally I opened the study plan for MyMathLab and when you do that, you can see a similar problem and usually see an example. I was correct to where I got stuck and then I saw in the example that the solution included some obnoxiously obscure trig identities. I applied that to my version of the problem and eventually got to the correct answer: -(1/4)ln(121/59).

Success!

Then, as is my way, I was able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I opened the "similar problem" to see what it looked like, but then shifted gears and did something else for a while. When I came back, MyMathLab had timed-out. Since I had not saved the first attempt, the system reverted to the unanswered "similar problem," for which I had a zero.

ARGH!

Then I had to do it over again with the new version. On the bright side, I knew the "tricks," so I got to the end fairly rapidly. When I input the final answer and started to relax, the screen showed that my answer wrong!

CRAP!

I went through my work backward, from the final answer to the start. My method of solution was correct and I did not make any algebra mistakes.

And then . . . I saw it. The upper limit of integration I had written on my paper was ln9. The actual limit was . . . ln11.

I worked through the last half with the correct limits of integration and on the final check . . . the point of no return . . . my answer was finally correct.

And then I made sure to SAVE.

And print a copy of the screen showing my 100%.

You can't be too careful.

DETAILS MATTER.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So, there I was . . . I had been struggling with the same problem for a few hours. I was evaluating the integral of cosh(x)/(4-sinh^2(x)) dx from ln5 to ln6. I did a u substitution for sinh(x), which left me with the integral of 1/(4 - u^2) du (with limits of integration adjusted to 12/5 to 35/12).

I sat and looked at that for a while. You won't find that form in most tables of common integrals. So finally I opened the study plan for MyMathLab and when you do that, you can see a similar problem and usually see an example. I was correct to where I got stuck and then I saw in the example that the solution included some obnoxiously obscure trig identities. I applied that to my version of the problem and eventually got to the correct answer: -(1/4)ln(121/59).

Success!

Then, as is my way, I was able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I opened the "similar problem" to see what it looked like, but then shifted gears and did something else for a while. When I came back, MyMathLab had timed-out. Since I had not saved the first attempt, the system reverted to the unanswered "similar problem," for which I had a zero.

ARGH!

Then I had to do it over again with the new version. On the bright side, I knew the "tricks," so I got to the end fairly rapidly. When I input the final answer and started to relax, the screen showed that my answer wrong!

CRAP!

I went through my work backward, from the final answer to the start. My method of solution was correct and I did not make any algebra mistakes.

And then . . . I saw it. The upper limit of integration I had written on my paper was ln9. The actual limit was . . . ln11.

I worked through the last half with the correct limits of integration and on the final check . . . the point of no return . . . my answer was finally correct.

DETAILS MATTER.

This has brought some things to light...:):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Success!

ARGH!

CRAP!

DETAILS MATTER.

Remember Rhino... Jesus saves... and so should you! ;)

Jesus and Satan have an argument as to who is the better programmer. This goes on for a few hours until they agree to hold a contest with God as the judge.

They set themselves before their computers and begin. They type furiously for several hours, lines of code streaming up the screen.

Seconds before the end, a bolt of lightning struck taking out the electricity. Moments later, the power is restored, and God announces that the contest is over. He asks Satan to show what he has come up with.

Satan is visibly upset, and cries, "I have nothing! I lost it all when the power went out."

"Very well, then," says God, "let us see if Jesus fared any better."

Jesus enters a command, and the screen comes to life in vivid display, the voices of an angelic choir pour forth from the speakers.

Satan is astonished. He stutters, "But how?! I lost everything, yet
    Jesus' program is intact! How did he do it?!"

God chuckles, "Jesus saves."

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Jesus and Satan have an argument as to who is the better programmer. This goes on for a few hours until they agree to hold a contest with God as the judge.

They set themselves before their computers and begin. They type furiously for several hours, lines of code streaming up the screen.

Seconds before the end, a bolt of lightning struck taking out the electricity. Moments later, the power is restored, and God announces that the contest is over. He asks Satan to show what he has come up with.

Satan is visibly upset, and cries, "I have nothing! I lost it all when the power went out."

Jesus enters a command, and the screen comes to life in vivid display, the voices of an angelic choir pour forth from the speakers.

+10

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

HAHA! Awesome!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My first quiz for MATH212 is due tomorrow at Midnight.

I was nervous about it because:

1) It was 20 questions, whereas the quizzes for MATH211 were 8 questions.
    2) The time limit was 4 hours, which suggests that the professor expects that some students might need four hours to complete it.
    3) For this class, only one attempts is allowed. For MATH211 and most other online Ivy Tech classes, the instructor allows a do-over on quizzes (but not on the proctored exams).

So . . . I started at about 6:30 PM today. When I finished, it was about 8:40 PM. When I have time left, I usually check my work and rework as many as I can in the allowed time just to make sure. For some reason, I was just too fatigued to check my work. Against my better judgment . . . and remembering that DETAILS MATTER . . . I submitted without any review. I was hoping to be above 90%, but expecting about 85%. Instead . . . 100%.

I feel pretty good!

Now I'm going to take the rest of the night away from any more homework or studying. I may even take tomorrow off too!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Saturday night. We busted butt today on a furnace A/C install. Got wet. Tired
    Just tucked the spouse in and I am sitting here pecking away at the keyboard.

Top Bottom