Ladies, Please: One Stanley Cup Per Person…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Someone needs to make a photograph of the modern/millennial woman decked out in all the latest fads.Yoga pants, shoes, handbags, sun glasses, coffee mugs, jewelry. Maybe label each item with price, and total up the cost of being seen with all the glam fads. But that's probably a catalyst, not a deterrent.
    Yeah but the nice thing about that is that I know which woman I'm NOT interested in. :patriot:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Remember when the phone companies GAVE you a cell phone? Now Moe Rons are paying $1000 and up for one!

That's one treadmill I've stepped off of. I only replace my phone when I absolutely need to and then refuse to spend more than $300 or so. I don't understand people who replace perfectly good phones with a $1k+ phone as a status symbol. Moe Rons indeed.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Our boss gave us all Stanley cups like these for Christmas in 2022 with the office name on them. I rarely use mine because it is huge and doesn't fit in my truck cup holders and takes up way too much space on my little desk/work area.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Remember when the phone companies GAVE you a cell phone?
    No, I don’t, that is because they never “gave” a phone away, they overcharged for the service to pay for the phone. A practice that from the ads is making a comeback. Also back then those were phones, not computers with magical televisions, and cameras...

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Y'all act like trends are new or something only women fall influence to.

How many men buy Carhartt jackets we don't use to work on a ranch? How many guys buy a particular tool brand because we saw some guy on YouTube saying it's the best?

I'm having a real hard time finding the outrage with this. These cups are a fad (one that's fading BTW), but who cares? It literally doesn't impact my life on any way. Let the girls have their cups. If you don't want one, don't buy one.:oldwise:

Bike shorts in the 80s. Puffy pants in the 90s. Hyper Color shirts, Members Only jackets, Big Johnson T-shirts on the boardwalk, Billy the Big Mouth Bass, Snuggies. All fads, all long forgotten.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

How many men buy Carhartt jackets we don't use to work on a ranch? How many guys buy a particular tool brand because we saw some guy on YouTube saying it's the best?

I'm having a real hard time finding the outrage with this. These cups are a fad (one that's fading BTW), but who cares? It literally doesn't impact my life on any way. Let the girls have their cups. If you don't want one, don't buy one.:oldwise:

Bike shorts in the 80s. Puffy pants in the 90s. Hyper Color shirts, Members Only jackets, Big Johnson T-shirts on the boardwalk, Billy the Big Mouth Bass, Snuggies. All fads, all long forgotten.
    It appears you may have missed the point, a point that seems to dovetail well with the philosophy you often post about. The point was succinctly made in the sub headline “Influencers created an insatiable thirst for more stuff that the Stanley cup can never quench.“. Humans will always want the best tool, work coat, but this is demonstrating more than practicality and even popularity, it is about the use of acquiring objects to feel good about oneself

I believe much if the evil in our society is from the lack of love, caring, and loneliness and we both know where that can be found but that is not taught much today…

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    It appears you may have missed the point, a point that seems to dovetail well with the philosophy you often post about. The point was succinctly made in the sub headline “Influencers created an insatiable thirst for more stuff that the Stanley cup can never quench.“. Humans will always want the best tool, work coat, but this is demonstrating more than practicality and even popularity, it is about the use of acquiring objects to feel good about oneself

I believe much if the evil in our society is from the lack of love, caring, and loneliness and we both know where that can be found but that is not taught much today…
    And none of this is new. Since the beginning of humanity people have tried to use stuff to feel good and they've been left empty. This has been happening before "influencers" were a thing.

I'm not sure why this particular item or brand is any different.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

I STILL want a Snuggie, can't find them anywhere... it's kind of a running joke between me and the wife.

I guess I'll just have to settle for one of these...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    And none of this is new. Since the beginning of humanity people have tried to use stuff to feel good and they've been left empty. This has been happening before "influencers" were a thing.

I'm not sure why this particular item or brand is any different.
    Because it is not “different” it should not be discussed? Once said a pastor need not address an issue again? From the last paragraph:

“Log off. Don’t let the things you want — or think you need — be dictated by strangers. No influencer-inspired lifestyle or 40-ounce “Quencher” can satiate your real thirst for more.”

Again similar to points you have made here, don’t miss the link in the last words in the quote…

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No, I don’t, that is because they never “gave” a phone away, they overcharged for the service to pay for the phone. A practice that from the ads is making a comeback. Also back then those were phones, not computers with magical televisions, and cameras...
    I think my iPhone 8 was the first phone I paid for. I don’t think my service rates went down any.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I think my iPhone 8 was the first phone I paid for. I don’t think my service rates went down any.
    I do not know the year but the major companies stopped with the “free phone” bit and offered interest free financing (arguably the interest was still built in the monthly charges) instead. I still have that plan, if I took them up on the current free phone plans the monthly rate would rise. I also got a cheaper plan with better service but no “free phone”…

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Our boss gave us all Stanley cups like these for Christmas in 2022 with the office name on them. I rarely use mine because it is huge and doesn't fit in my truck cup holders and takes up way too much space on my little desk/work area.
    I've received a yeti or 2 of different sizes (some smaller ones, etc) and colors from work and I've always handed them off to one of the kids, etc. I just never got into carrying anything like this around.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I do not know the year but the major companies stopped with the “free phone” bit and offered interest free financing (arguably the interest was still built in the monthly charges) instead. I still have that plan, if I took them up on the current free phone plans the monthly rate would rise. I also got a cheaper plan with better service but no “free phone”…
    People used to want the service to be able to text, stay in contact, etc and the phone was the loss leader gateway for the companies to get people there.

Today service is somewhat of a commodity (kind of like electricity) and people want the phone features. Apple and the various big Android phone makers (Samsung, etc) have apparently done a good job marketing their product, as well as engineering in obsolescence to a certain degree.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I solved the cupholder fit problem by getting one of these. In the basic Stanley, green color, of course:

I’ve had it for years now, and it’s getting beat to hell but it still does its job.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    e0aa8d460b8b0a1e0216890a5b65fb93.jpg
    8787bebaea2f394d9c1a49fb31fbfea6.jpg
    Not sure what INGO hates more, communism or capitalism.

Seems like more of the same "Old Man Shakes Fist at Cloud" to me.

Don't want an insulated cup? Think they are silly? Don't buy one.

At least these cups are actually useful. Not exactly the modern iteration of the Beanie Baby.

:coffee:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I just want a coffee mug that keeps my coffee hot for at least 4 hours. Mine will hold for 2. The lid isn't insulated.

Top Bottom