• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I see you're in NWI. You could always come to a meet & shoot for her to try several guns in a fun enviroment. There's one coming up July 29.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...son_3_sun_29_jul_2012_nwi_meet_and_shoot.html

I'd love to take her to one, but we will be on the road to the smokies for some honeymoonin' :). I just wanted to poll the field of experienced lady shooters for some ideas.

Leads to my next question, what would be some brands/models of guns she should probably avoid? I want to stay away from models that are not known for working flawlessly out of the box. If it may jam on the first magazine, I don't want to consider it.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I see you're in NWI. You could always come to a meet & shoot for her to try several guns in a fun enviroment. There's one coming up July 29.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...son_3_sun_29_jul_2012_nwi_meet_and_shoot.html

If at all possible I would hold off on purchasing any gun until she becomes accustomed to shooting. The event listed above, or one like it, would be ideal. I have been around several new shooters in the last year. They all seem to overspend in that first year. As their skill level increases they tend to dislike the guns they initially thought "fit them". I'm not sure what the right answer is other than shoot, shoot, shoot before you buy, buy, buy. It usually doesn't take all that long before she will be able to say what gun she would prefer. Shoot all you can and keep shooting.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If you can't make the July event than tstar recommended, we have them every month till late fall.
    I HIGHLY recommend it.
    Imagine 30-40 people, each with 1-12 weapons.
    The BEST way to find out about a weapon, is to SHOOT it.
    Otherwise, its like a teenager trying to become an expert with the ladies by talking about it.
    Most people will let you pop a few rounds off.
    If you want to try more than a few rounds, just bring some ammo.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    valve I am having the same problem with my wife right now... she does all this internet research and thinks she found what she likes but never shot it......................

on a side note i am returning to the smokies for my 1yr anniversary.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    My wife to be is looking at getting a decent arm for conceal carry and some plinkin. The PX4 Storm caught her eye and I'm wondering what you think Of it or alternatives. I know the storm is a lil heavy, but she needs something that isn't too snappy. She's only been shooting a p22 and recently she shot my full size steel baby eagle in 9mm. She needs to strengthen her hands on something bigger than the p22.

Follow Theresa's (t_star) advice above and bring her to the NWI Meet & Shoot at Winamac! She'll get to try dozens of different guns in all sorts of configurations, calibers, etc. You can even put in requests for people to bring specific guns, calibers, etc!

Since you can't make this one . . .
    LINKY => https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...son_3_sun_29_jul_2012_nwi_meet_and_shoot.html

You should plan on coming to the August, September, October and November shoots. We hold them EVERY month from March to November!

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    valve I am having the same problem with my wife right now... she does all this internet research and thinks she found what she likes but never shot it......................

on a side note i am returning to the smokies for my 1yr anniversary.

Congrats on your 1 year :). I'm goin to try to plan one in of the shoots with her after honeymoonin'. We won't be quite so busy after we get back. We're also going to try to make a gun show if we can, but there's not many close by.

Last edited:

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    In equal sized frames of the same material, a .45 (being bigger diameter than a 9mm, or a .40) leaves the bore much slower, causing LESS perceived recoil and muzzle flip. The push of a .45 is much less aggressive than the snap & slap of a 9mm.
    Don't discount a .45...

Thanks for the info on the .45, I will be looking to try one out myself.

Current EDC is S&W9c but looking seriously at their new Shield. I'm embarrased to say I've not shot a .45. I'm a bit intimidated by the recoil but will have to take JetGirl's advice and check it out before I purchase again... Do not waste your time on a small frame .380, they are difficult to handle, tough to be accurate with, and pack basically the same punch as a 9mm.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I'm Indy Southside.

Unfortunately, I'm way north of you (close enough to spit on Ohio and slap Michigan on the bottom).
    However, you're in an area that seems to be inundated with lots of INGO members who wouldn't mind sharing some toys and trigger time.
    Start a feeler thread in the break room about helping you out and maybe turn it into a "Help OkieGirl" thread in the "INGO Events" forum. :yesway:

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    I'm in Terre Haute and would be willing to "Help OkieGirl". I've got several to try.
    pm me, if you want.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    LOL! Now I'm not only thread jacking I'm a .45 charity case...I love it. Thanks for the idea! My preferred local~ish range is Atterbury and I'm sure I could shake the INGO tree and find someone who can provide some show and educate. I'm half tempted to drive up North just for the opportunity to meet ya. Thanks again for the help. : )

shannonneumann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I'm going to be in a similar situation soon if finding a carry piece for my wife (her LTCH is on it's way). She's fired an LCP, LC9, a Taurus .22LR revolver and a Sig .40S&W. While she enjoys shooting the .22LR revolver most, she can handle the LC9 and the .40 without any trouble. Don't make any assumptions about control-ability without having her try it first.

The last time we went to a show, my wife really liked the feel of the LCR, so that's high on my list as a potential for her. She also really liked the Beretta PX4 storm, so who knows what we'll end up with at this point. ;)

Moosegirl46052

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    Lebanon
    LCP

I don't like to put a gun in my purse. If someone is after me, they want my purse,then they have my keys, my address and my gun. I like the Ruger LCP, it fits in a small uncle mikes and tucks right in the waistband and conseals perfectly. When its cooler out and i have a coatpocket the Bersa .380 works. I also have a phoenix arms semi auto .22 that conceals well in the same holser and is a joy to plink with.

Applied Ballistics in Lafayette IN rents all of these, any shooter with a drivers license can rent them and try them out before they deicde what to buy.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom