• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    You would think _someone_ on the LA Council would take a peek at what's happening in Seattle since they raised their minimum wage, but Nooooooo, Liberal Progressives are always soooo much smarter that the last guys who failed at implementing their bright ideas . . .

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Once again, my fear is they'll run more business out of that state along with many of the people that vote for the people that enact this crap....and they'll infect other states with their silliness.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    My position on this is if $15 is good $50 is better. Heck, raise minimum wage to $250/hour! Poverty will be gone in a flash, right?

When you hear people talk about how we _need_ to take care of people, use the reverse logic above. Tell them they are just plain "cruel haters" since they want to keep people in poverty. How can you afford a home in the burbs, an Escalade, a Rolex, and all those other things that anyone deserves on $15/hour?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    You would think _someone_ on the LA Council would take a peek at what's happening in Seattle since they raised their minimum wage, but Nooooooo, Liberal Progressives are always soooo much smarter that the last guys who failed at implementing their bright ideas . . .

The definition of INSANITY, doing the SAME THING, over and over, and expecting a DIFFERENT Result.....

"D" to "R", Well, just because, it didn't work there, doesn't mean it won't work HERE !!!!!

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound

Seattle's unemployment rate is 4.4% last I checked. What is Seattle doing wrong?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    As to Seattle, there is a long term phase in, so we have not seen the full effects yet. Personally, I'm a fan of freedom for both the employer and employee. The market will set appropriate wages.

We can debate economics all day (in a room with 10 economists, there will be 12 opinions), but I have not yet heard a good reason why government price controls are morally justified...and a minimum wage is a price control. We are removing freedom from both sides in the wage negotiation in favor of benefiting one side.

We Are Seeing The Effects Of Seattle's $15 An Hour Minimum Wage

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    As to Seattle, there is a long term phase in, so we have not seen the full effects yet. Personally, I'm a fan of freedom for both the employer and employee. The market will set appropriate wages.

We can debate economics all day (in a room with 10 economists, there will be 12 opinions), but I have not yet heard a good reason why government price controls are morally justified...and a minimum wage is a price control. We are removing freedom from both sides in the wage negotiation in favor of benefiting one side.

We Are Seeing The Effects Of Seattle's $15 An Hour Minimum Wage

This article describes restaurant closings as an effect of the wage increase. I haven't read their law but I thought waiters and waitresses had a minimum wage of over $2 and the rest is from tips?

Also, the writer doesn't really suggest the restaurant closings could be for other reasons. Correlation does not equal causation. What if there was simply an over abundance of restaurants and what we are seeing is the market correcting itself? I don't know, but I think it's a little silly to blame it on wage increases without looking at anything else that could be an issue. It also states that restaurants operate at razor thin margins. Well whose fault is that?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    LA....where a POS 800sq foot house costs $300k. $15 hr is subjective on location.

True, money means different things in different places. My Brother in law left a $90K job in Napperville and took a $140K job in silicon valley. Then he found out he could not afford to live out there as well as he lived in Napperville. $15/hour in LA is about like $4/hr in central Indiana. In 1995 I really wanted to go to University in LA, and I could afford the tuition, but the off campus living expenses were prohibitive by a factor of about 400+%

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    So $14/hr jobs are now illegal. And $13/hr, and $12/hr, and $11/hr, and so on -- banned. People are not allowed to voluntarily negotiate work contracts, and they are now less free than they were before. A free society and a free market cannot coexist with a government who bans jobs and dictates prices.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So $14/hr jobs are now illegal. And $13/hr, and $12/hr, and $11/hr, and so on -- banned. People are not allowed to voluntarily negotiate work contracts, and they are now less free than they were before. A free society and a free market cannot coexist with a government who bans jobs and dictates prices.

No two ways about it- a loss of freedom for all.

Top Bottom