L.T.C.H. or PERMIT....... Doesn't matter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    There is no functional difference. But one is defined in the code and the other is not. That makes one technically correct, and the other not.

[video=youtube;hou0lU8WMgo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hou0lU8WMgo[/video]

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    There is no functional difference. But one is [strike]defined[/strike] used in the code and the other is not. That makes one [strike]technically correct[/strike] used in the code, and the other not.

FIFY

Also, here's an interesting tidbit from the "Definitions" page:

IC 35-47-1-7
    "Proper person"
    Sec. 7. "Proper person" means a person who:
    (1) does not have a conviction for resisting law enforcement under IC 35-44.1-3-1 within five (5) years before the person applies for a license or permit under this chapter;
    (2) does not have a conviction for a crime for which the person could have been sentenced for more than one (1) year;
    (3) does not have a conviction for a crime of domestic violence (as defined in IC 35-31.5-2-78), unless a court has restored the person's right to possess a firearm under IC 35-47-4-7;
    (4) is not prohibited by a court order from possessing a

handgun;
    (5) does not have a record of being an alcohol or drug abuser as defined in this chapter;
    (6) does not have documented evidence which would give rise to a reasonable belief that the person has a propensity for violent or emotionally unstable conduct;
    (7) does not make a false statement of material fact on the person's application;
    (8) does not have a conviction for any crime involving an inability to safely handle a handgun;
    (9) does not have a conviction for violation of the provisions of this article within five (5) years of the person's application;
    (10) does not have an adjudication as a delinquent child for an act that would be a felony if committed by an adult, if the person applying for a license or permit under this chapter is less than twenty-three (23) years of age;
    (11) has not been involuntarily committed, other than a temporary commitment for observation or evaluation, to a mental institution by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority;
    (12) has not been the subject of a:
    (A) ninety (90) day commitment as a result of proceeding under IC 12-26-6; or
    (B) regular commitment under IC 12-26-7; or
    (13) has not been found by a court to be mentally incompetent, including being found:
    (A) not guilty by reason of insanity;
    (B) guilty but mentally ill; or
    (C) incompetent to stand trial.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Well, if / when they start issuing a document called a "permit" either in addition to or in lieu of a "license", then I guess IC 35-47-1-7 will apply to that document, too.

This is fun, it's like ping-pong without all the ball chasing. :)

one is defined in the code and the other is not.

Can you show me where "license" is defined in the code?

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    They're the same damn thing. People need to get a life if they're really bugged by someone using one word over the other.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, if / when they start issuing a document called a "permit" either in addition to or in lieu of a "license", then I guess IC 35-47-1-7 will apply to that document, too.

You advocate calling everything by it's proper name as defined in law. That's cool. Some people like to do that. Others don't care so much.

And don't worry. I don't have one of those consistency detectors like horn has, and I really don't care as much as he does that every jot and tittle of every conservative's (it appears to only be calibrated for conservatives) conversation is always consistent with their stated belief. So I'm probably not gonna call you on it if you use some other name for anything that is different from how it's defined in law. However, I may throw in a "permit" or two when talking about the LTCH just to:stickpoke:some fun every now and again.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    My pink permission slip has License to Carry Handgun on it, not Permit to Carry Handgun on it. Having said that, I still call all snot rags 'kleenex' and for years a photocopy machine was called a 'xerox '.
    I have always and will always refer to mine as a License. I don't mind that others call it a permit as long as 'concealed' is not mentioned.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Evanlee11
    Top Bottom