• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I have a kydex/leather holster (Crossbreed Supertuck). The leather feels better IWB, and the kydex has good retention (adjusted with heat) on the pistol; best of both worlds IMHO. Comptac MTAC, Kholster, and Crossbreed all use a kydex/leather configuration with adjustable cant.

I don't have any experience with strictly leather or kydex IWB holsters.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Leather, at least against the skin. Kydex feels like crap. I really liked the Kholster I had with my XD9sc, it had the advantages of both leather and Kydex.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    kydex without reservation

- unaffected by moisture
    - no break-in required
    - adjustable tension
    - won't loosen and fail to retain the gun over time
    - stiff enough to reholster one-handed without issues; leather needs a steel reinforcement to have the same facility, which is heavy
    - quicker draw stroke
    - front sight won't get caught and impede draw
    - can be made thinner/less bulky than comparable leather holster
    - usually less expensive than a comparable leather holster
    - easy to clean

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    I own & use both. Deep down I am a leather guy, but I wouldn't necessarily say that leather is better than kydex. Maybe I prefer leather because I am old. I like steel guns stuffed into leather holsters. It is the way that I was brought up. Old guys refer to ourselves as "traditionalists". Please humor us.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Interesting thing about leather vs kydex. I LOVE leather holsters, but before I traded my XD9sc, I noticed it was starting to show a little holster wear on the left side of the slide, up by the muzzle, but none noticeable on the right. I carried quite frequently in the Kholster, and practiced quite a bit with the draw from it. The left side is the leather side. Reckon leather puts a bit more wear on the gun than Kydex?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Interesting thing about leather vs kydex. I LOVE leather holsters, but before I traded my XD9sc, I noticed it was starting to show a little holster wear on the left side of the slide, up by the muzzle, but none noticeable on the right. I carried quite frequently in the Kholster, and practiced quite a bit with the draw from it. The left side is the leather side. Reckon leather puts a bit more wear on the gun than Kydex?

Yep. Unless you let grit accumulate in the kydex, of course. Kydex is simple and easy to clean. Once grit gets embedded in the leather, it's there to stay.

lewisjt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.1%
    113   1   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Hancock Co.
    Yep. Unless you let grit accumulate in the kydex, of course. Kydex is simple and easy to clean. Once grit gets embedded in the leather, it's there to stay.

My G19 has been torn up lately by my kydex holster. I put it in my bag at the gym with belt, straps, water, and chalk. The chalk has gotten into the holster and has been tearing up the finish on slide. :xmad: I guess I need to be more careful, but on the other hand its no safe queen thats for sure.

To answer the OP I like kydex. Easier to draw, lighter, thinner, less expensive etc...

JohnN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    kydex without reservation

- unaffected by moisture
    - no break-in required
    - adjustable tension
    - won't loosen and fail to retain the gun over time
    - stiff enough to reholster one-handed without issues; leather needs a steel reinforcement to have the same facility, which is heavy
    - quicker draw stroke
    - front sight won't get caught and impede draw
    - can be made thinner/less bulky than comparable leather holster
    - usually less expensive than a comparable leather holster
    - easy to clean

I agree with Joe however leather retains the gun better in the event of a weapons grab. That said, I mostly use kydex.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Old School too

I prefer my leather over Kydex or that nylon woven crap. However I do have a Don Hume leather Holster that is worthless poor quality, but got it used, and previous owner did not take care of it. I used to work with leather for a hobby till I got bitten buy the gun bug. Guess I'll always like leather.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I have a kydex/leather holster (Crossbreed Supertuck). The leather feels better IWB, and the kydex has good retention (adjusted with heat) on the pistol; best of both worlds IMHO. Comptac MTAC, Kholster, and Crossbreed all use a kydex/leather configuration with adjustable cant.

I don't have any experience with strictly leather or kydex IWB holsters.
    This ^^^

I use both (Crossbreed SuperTuck).

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Kydex IWB...OUCH! Go leather everytime and if its a compact pistol or little .380, go with a Fist #1, real flat and very comfortable. Customer service is a ***** though and takes forever for them to make em and ship em.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Kydex! I discovered Raven Concealment Systems a couple years ago.
    Anyone in the market for a barely used Milt Sparks SSII (1911 5")?

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I have both (a Sharktac kydex holster from the Indy 1500 and a High Noon Hidden Alley in leather) and have to say I'm a little more biased towards the leather. It seems to adjust better to sitting in the car, in a chair, etc. I love the Sharktac holster as well but defnitely don't use it as much as the High Noon.

Top Bottom