• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Im looking to buy a new sight for a Rock River mid-length a4 im getting here soon. i will have the flip up iron sights but am wanting a nice optic sight to put on it. i dont have the money to buy a 1200 dollar ACOG, but i have seen one of those knock-off ACOG's. i think there made by trijicon but i didnt see it on there site (its possible i spaced out and missed it)....but i was wondering if anyone has one of the knock off ACOG's and if so how would you rate it?...and would you recommend anyone buying one?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i dont think trijicon makes a knock off acog. i would defintally not buy the knock off acog used, it may not work. i would defintally buy a used acog. you can find them used for 600 or less if you are patient. if you buy a used actual acog chances are pretty good it works just find. unless its been run over by a semi i dont think you can hurt a real acog. the only thing ive heard of happening is the tritium going dull.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    i dont have the money to buy a 1200 dollar ACOG, but i have seen one of those knock-off ACOG's. i think there made by trijicon but i didnt see it on there site (its possible i spaced out and missed it)....but i was wondering if anyone has one of the knock off ACOG's and if so how would you rate it?...and would you recommend anyone buying one?

Trijcon owns the patents for and makes the ACOG. They don't make knock off's of their own products.

Some chinese company makes the knocks offs. I don't know anything about them beyond that.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Does the phrase "you get what you pay for" mean anything? Are you dead set on an ACOG? There are a lot of options out there.

im not dead set on an ACOG. but ive fired an AR15 with a real one ACOG and i loved it, i unfortunately just dont have the funds to buy a real one at the moment. too many other firearms on the wish list right now. i have have also heard good things about aimpoint and EOtech but never tried them out

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    im not dead set on an ACOG. but ive fired an AR15 with a real one ACOG and i loved it, i unfortunately just dont have the funds to buy a real one at the moment. too many other firearms on the wish list right now. i have have also heard good things about aimpoint and EOtech but never tried them out

personally i think i would like a aimpoint or eotech better. i had a ta01 and i hated the eye relief. im pretty sure im the only one to ever hate a acog as ive never heard a bad thing about them except from me.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    had an eotech 512 on my colt. bought a NIB TA33 ACOG for about $550. and after 1 range trip, i sold the EoTech. Don't get me wrong, the 512 was super cool and extremely easy to get on target. but the ACOG is the shiznet i dont know about other models, but the TA33 has plenty of eye relief.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    had an eotech 512 on my colt. bought a NIB TA33 ACOG for about $550. and after 1 range trip, i sold the EoTech. Don't get me wrong, the 512 was super cool and extremely easy to get on target. but the ACOG is the shiznet i dont know about other models, but the TA33 has plenty of eye relief.

the ta01 model i had has the worst eye relief of all the acogs. there glass is crystal clear i will say that

matthewdanger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    The "knock off" ACOGs that I have seen are only similar in looks to real ACOGs. They share nothing in common in terms of function.

ACOGs have some of the best, most intuitively designed reticles on the market, excellent quality glass, extreme durability, and great customer service. The knock offs are usually just red dot sights wrapped up in an ACOG like outer shell.

wizard

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    Chesterton
    I've got a Bushnell on an AK not bad for $160.00 buts it's no ACOG. Most that I have seen or read about have a tilted reticle as does mine.Seems to hold zero even with AK 7.62x39's.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    If you are wanting a nice scope that has an illuminated reticle, but don't have the $$$$$ to drop on an ACOG I would suggest checking out a Burris AR-332 Scopes - rifle scopes, handgun scopes, hunting scopes by Burris Optics.

They run in the $300-320ish range. I put one on my sig 556 and it works great. The reticle allows for fast up-close target acquisition and the 3x magnification makes shots out to 100yds a breeze. I have yet to take it out past 100yds so I can not speak for the bullet drop dots and how well they are dialed in. But it has held its zero ever since I zeroed it awhile back.
    The reticle is black when off and has 5 brightness settings in red and green. So if the battery dies (I dont know what the life is like) you can use the black.
    I will be keeping the scope on there until I can afford an ACOG, but too me it seems like a great substitute for now.

JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Im looking to buy a new sight for a Rock River mid-length a4 im getting here soon. i will have the flip up iron sights but am wanting a nice optic sight to put on it. i dont have the money to buy a 1200 dollar ACOG, but i have seen one of those knock-off ACOG's. i think there made by trijicon but i didnt see it on there site (its possible i spaced out and missed it)....but i was wondering if anyone has one of the knock off ACOG's and if so how would you rate it?...and would you recommend anyone buying one?

What are your expectations of the weapon? Is it for target practice, hunting, home defense, SHTF, all the above? This will make a big difference on my and others recommendations.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    What are your expectations of the weapon? Is it for target practice, hunting, home defense, SHTF, all the above? This will make a big difference on my and others recommendations.

^^^ This. There are various kinds of optics out there these days. Some make more sense for certain applications than others.

Here's an article related to the subject:

Fighting Optics for the AR-15

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    There are quite a few TA01's and TA31's on the used market that can be had for around $500 to $650 if you take your time looking for them.

The most I've paid for a TA31F was $650, that didn't include the mini red dot :): I added that.

LaRueKAC005.jpg

Top Bottom